28 Nosler

Not sure if anyone else out there has been having a tough time finding 28 Nosler hunting ammo.
Pendleton Ammunition has quite a bit of it in custom loads available in various bullets to fit the gun.

I’m interested in building a 28 Nosler. Will a Rem long action work for this cartridge? What bottom metal and mags are guys using? I see a lot of single feed stuff at the ELR matches. What about twist rates on the barrel? How big of bullets are you guys able to stabilize? I would really like to hear what works...thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I’m interested in building a 28 Nosler. Will a Rem long action work for this cartridge? What bottom metal and mags are guys using? I see a lot of single feed stuff at the ELR matches. What about twist rates on the barrel? How big of bullets are you guys able to stabilize? I would really like to hear what works...thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A standard mag box (3.75) will work, although 3.85 will work better. For twist, a 1 in 8 is the preferred choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Never heard of Pendleton Ammunition. Nice to have another name for custom ammo.

Yes, a Rem long action will work, but it will need some rail work if it is not a RUM action. The fat case on the Nosler cartridges won't feed through the normal narrow rails. Might not need to open the rails if you go with a centerfeed magazine. RUM magazine is needed along with follower if you stick to the Rem BDL or ADL setup. If you go DBM, centerfeed magazines for a .300 Win should work. I didn't go that route.

Mine is built on an original 30-06 Rem 700 action. I opened the rails, opened the bolt face, and kept the BDL setup using a RUM mag box. Holds 3 down. It is a 1:8 twist and will stabilize all but the super long monometal bullets. Hart barrel, Manners stock, Shilen trigger. Sweet shooting rifle.

Not a difficult conversion, but it does limit what the action can be used for in the future unless you stay with a centerfeed magazine.

Jeremy

I built a 28 off of a Remington 700 action last winter. It was a PITA but the finished rifle has turned out great and sub MOA shooter. I had to remove material from the feed rails and bolt face work also. I put a 26” Proof Carbon fiber barrel and custom brake and McMillan Game Scout stock on it. The rifle is very light. I’m shooting Berger 195’s at 3140 FPS. Can’t wait to try it out on an elk!

Plenty of good info given above. If you want to run 180gr or heavier I'd go 8 twist.

Uncle- What powder are you running with the 195s? Nosler brass?

I'm using RL 33 powder and Nosler brass for now. I might end up resizing Norma 26 Nosler brass eventually? The brass is ridiculous expensive but I've been really happy with the performance of the rifle.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm 90% sure that Nosler brass is Norma brass for the Nosler line of cartridges. They don't make brass, they get it from several OEM's, clean it up and package it.

My best loads have been using retumbo, and an old 8lb keg of H870 behind ELD-X 175's.

Jeremy

I'm using RL 33 powder and Nosler brass for now. I might end up resizing Norma 26 Nosler brass eventually? The brass is ridiculous expensive but I've been really happy with the performance of the rifle.
Resurrecting this post but I am just starting a load for my 28 Nosler with RL33. Have it throated for 195s. COAL is 3.713. How much RL33 were you using for the 195s? Of course I won’t use that load since all rifles are different, just curious.

Resurrecting this post but I am just starting a load for my 28 Nosler with RL33. Have it throated for 195s. COAL is 3.713. How much RL33 were you using for the 195s? Of course I won’t use that load since all rifles are different, just curious.
I’m using 83 grains of RL-33 at the moment. This was getting me just a bit over 3000 FPS. I’ve benched the 28 recently though cause I’d really like to try some N-570 in that rifle, and also because I’ve been busy getting my 6.5’s ready for the deer hunt.

N570 is magic in my 28. I'm sending 195 Bergers just a hair under 3200fps and it's a laser beam.