280ai vs. 7mm Rem Mag in a Kimber

For my next rifle purchase I’m considering a 280ai. Seems to be a pretty popular caliber on Rokslide. I want to try one but would like to know what if any advantages this would offer me over a 7 mag. Ballistically they seem to be in the same category.
I don’t handload, so I will use factory ammo. The rifle would be in my rotation for elk and deer.
Looking at lightweight Kimber options.

If you do not handload, you may want to stick with the 7mm mag. There are a lot more factory offerings for the 7mm so ammo should be more attainable.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at Midway. They had 10 for the 280ai and 60+ for the 7mm.

BjornF16

WKR
I chose 280 AI for my Mountain Ascent. It shoots Hornady Precision Hunter extremely well. I am the limiting factor.

That said, Upstate made a very good point: Factory ammo selection and availability is much better with 7mm RM. But it kicks harder too.

There are options for custom loaded ammo...Copper Creek Cartridges is one. They offer load development packs. They load, you shoot.

7mm mag is a great cartridge with a ton more factory options the the ai, although the ai has quite a few options these days. As far as I know, the only of the kimber mountain series offered in 7mm mag is the mountain ascent, and its listed as a pound heavier than the same 280. So if its a lightweight deer elk kimber rifle you're after, I'd go 280 (or 06, or 270).

Brianb3

WKR
I owned the 280. 3/4 gun with factory nos 140 ab. Less kick then my other 7mms. Less kick on a super light gun would seem important. Light hunting rifles have their disadvantages.

I would buy another 280 if given the choice between the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6bailey

FNG
Both are good rounds but if your not reloading then 7 rem mag is the way to go. You will get more ammo choice as well as be able to go to the store and almost always be able to buy some. This is not the case with non standard cartridges. Or just less popular i should say.

Burrito68

FNG
In the Kimber the action for the 280 ai is the 84l. The 7mm uses the 8400 action which is beefier. The 280 gets you a lighter rifle and uses less powder to get close to 7mm velocities. That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The 280 AI is a great cartridge and in a lighter package, but if you don’t reload you’re stuck with whatever you can find that shoots the best.
I suggest the 7RM because everyone carries the ammunition.

280rem

FNG
I’m a little biased towards the 280 AI. Wife has the mountain ascent and I love it so much I’m most likely to buy my own in the 280 as well. Burns less powder and touch less recoil which I think should be considered when talking such a light rifle. I don’t reload anymore really for lack of time, there are growing options in the 280 ai factory ammo, and all the current options are very good high quality ammo. I’ve had no problem with any of the factory ammo shooting good to excellent and excellent being it would be tough to improve on with hand loading. I personally wouldn’t hesitate getting the 280 based on not being a reloader with today’s order online from midway or it’s competition. Only advantage I see is some of 7 mag ammo is a little cheaper, but not much. Also if you travel a lot by mainly flying, if you ever get separated from you ammo the 280 will possibly by tougher to find depending on store choices, if you travel little to not much I wouldn’t give it a seconds thought.

Jardo

WKR
I’ve owned both. I kept the 280 ai. It’s my go to rifle but I handload. It will shoot the factory noslers just fine and the 240 grain accubond is a hot load.

I’m comfortable with it out to 800 yards. I wouldn’t hesitate getting the 280ai. It’s becoming a very popular round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
It’s worth mentioning that, in a pinch, you can run standard .280 through it. Worth consideration for the non-reloader looking for some reasonably priced factory fodder to run.

Bought a Cooper Backcountry in 280ai. It shoots various loads better than I can shoot it. Pretty light gun.

Despite the weight of the gun, the recoil is very manageable/negligible. Cant tell much difference between the roil of this and my .270.

I reload, thus have leeway on components, etc. It really likes the 160gr Nosler Accubond. Not loading it super hot, but it's shooting the 160gr @ ~2900fps +.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
They are a close enough that I wouldn’t let the chambering be the sole determining factor in choosing between the 84L and 8400.

I’ve had multiple Kimbers 84Ms, 84L, and 8400s.

I prefer the fit of the 8400 (short mag version) to any of them by a good margin. For me, the 84L was the worst of the group. I tried every way to may my .280 AI work for me, but end the end the ergos killed it.

Things could be 100% opposite in your hands.

Im a lot more satisfied with my rifles now that I out fit/feel higher on the priority list than chambering. I’d even recommend getting your hands on an 84M model to try as well. With today’s bullets I think you’d be fine with some of the short action chamberings too.