East Coast Trip in May to DC/NJ - What should we do?

My folks took me to the area when I was in high school which was...a number of...years ago. I remember being most impressed with the day we took to do all things Gettysburg. There was too much to see and do in DC and it was a whirlwind. If I had it to do over again I would make it a point to go to the Capital.

Two things I'd recommend:

1) Make reservations at Old Ebbitt Grill - it's just a couple of blocks from the White House, and contains a substantial portion of Teddy Roosevelt's big game trophy room. There are some absolutely amazing mounts in there, especially given how old they are. It's a DC institution, so make sure you get reservations in quickly and be there a bit early for them. But it's a very special place, with absolutely killer food.
Definitely recommend Old Ebbitt Grill as well! They also have some great beverages.

The museums will keep you busy for a week or more. Some of the best.
This. You could spend a month there just doing the museums. I think it was the Natural History museum we went a few hours two different days and didn't get all the way through.
I was thinking about that, we have a rental car for the week but I wondered if we should park somewhere and then uber/walk everywhere else? Would love to see a Nat's game and will have to check their schedule.
We had no trouble parking a dually here multiple days 38.88574861264547, -77.03661512174612. We did get there early in the morning. It's a short walk to some of the monuments. If you want to go further or walk less there are buses on a loop.
2) Reach out to your Member of Congress and set up an appointment to get a staff tour of the Capitol building - the Rotunda is an amazing museum tour itself of American art and history, and Statuary Hall contains two statues from each state of their revered figures. It's a cool tour. It's also free, and Members and staff go out of their way to make their constituents feel welcome and treated well with them.
I second this. My wife tried to get the White House tour, but waited too late. We ended up doing the Capitol building and it was interesting. Call sooner than later.

My folks took me to the area when I was in high school which was...a number of...years ago. I remember being most impressed with the day we took to do all things Gettysburg. There was too much to see and do in DC and it was a whirlwind. If I had it to do over again I would make it a point to go to the Capital.

I did a reenactment with my dad there on the 125th anniversary - well, he was reenacting, I was making sure he didn't die from heat stroke. That is some eerie shit to walk from the point of the woods to the clump of trees with hundreds and hundreds of dudes dressed to play the part. You have a few long moments to consider just what on earth compelled men to do that. It's an amazing place.

If you like airplanes the Udvar-Hazy Center is amazing. Its kind of a haul to get out there from Alexandria but totally worth it.

My favorite international food is Ethiopian. Its been a while since I've lived there but there used to be some great spots in the district.

Museums are a must. Just pick the ones that interest you the most and allocate time.
Mt Vernon was one of my favorite stops. I just like being immersed in that kind of history.
All the war memorials around the mall are a must see.
Arlington Cemetery and changing of the guard would also be a must see in my book.
I enjoyed Ford Theater experience, too, but IIRC it's a bit out of the way and not much else around.

You all helped me out on my trip to WY/MT last year, so i thought I would ask again. My wife and I are planning a trip to DC/NJ in a couple weeks and looking for ideas of things to do. We're flying into BWI and spending the weekend in Brick, NJ where my uncle lives. Then we have an AirBNB in Alexandria, VA and plan on spending the week there doing stuff in and around DC. We have Arlington Cemetery and changing of the guard on the list and probably the Smithsonian, which I think we need reservations for that?!? What else would you recommend doing and/or not doing?
Hire a guide for fishing inshore. The mouths of the Potomac and other rivers should be loading up with crab about then. That means the redfish and striper will be there too.

My platoon took a bus up from Lejeune in 2014 and toured the Marine Corps museum in Quantico.

Super super cool. Worth the trip, but maybe I’m just biased.

Hire a guide for fishing inshore. The mouths of the Potomac and other rivers should be loading up with crab about then. That means the redfish and striper will be there too.
My uncle has a sailboat lives on the water/inlets in Brick, so hope to get on the water with him before we go to DC...so i guess you can say that he's already hired lol

Back