3-9 vs 4.5-14 for a "do all" 308

OP
E
We should all shoot more, especially off-hand.

But I wasn’t even talking about shooting. If you are unsure about your ability to find a deer at close range in your scope, some practice could help (or show you your/your scope’s limitations). Being safe (ie with the bolt out), just practice mounting the rife and pointing it at nearby things you see (stumps, sticks, rocks). The trick, like with binos, is to put the rifle up between your eye and the target—not put your eye behind the scope and then try to move the scope to the target. It helps if the rifle has the right comb height and eye relief for you.

I basically never take my 3-9 scope off 5x, and most of my shots wind up being 40 to 60 yards. I’ve never had an issue, so I bet you’d be fine, especially with a bit of practice.
Will do! I will put eyes through the scope a bunch this weekend and see if I ever have an issue up close.

One thing I notice is the balance point has shifted on my rifle with this scope. It's noticeably heavier even though it's only a few ounces, and it feels more front heavy but it honestly holds on target better with less movement. I don't know if It would be noticeable in the field.

Anybody find 4.5 power on the low end to be too much for tight cover close quarters shots?
If you hunt in grizz territory I would want a lower power than 4.5X. Preferably 2 or 2.5. I keep my scope at lowest power always until its time to take a shot at something farther away.

Kentk

FNG
I'm interested to hear how you did in close at 6x... my grandpa always ran a fixed 6x scope. Always blew my mind that he could shoot deer up close with that.
I had a couple successful seasons with that scope. 5 deer, 2 elk and a moose. Shots between 30-120 yards.

OP
E
I had a couple successful seasons with that scope. 5 deer, 2 elk and a moose. Shots between 30-120 yards.
Sounds like my own personal hang ups didn't impact your ability to get it done! Nice work!

OP
E
Got out and shot this weekend with the 4.5
I think I like it more after some more reps. I'm not sure I need 14 power, but to be able to verify hits through the scope at 300 yards was cool. I had the spotter up, and had it zoomed way in to look too but the scope did much better under brighter light. I think because this droptine is a budget scope it's not as bright at 14 in low light as if it was a 3-9. I went ahead and snagged a good deal on a fullfield 4 3-9, and will wait till it gets here. Worst case, if I end up not loving the 4.5, I'll trade it out for the 3-9 on this 308 and but the 4.5 on my coyote gun, or dangit I just might have to buy myself the 7 mag I have been looking at lol.

I got to run the BDC reticle in the burris this weekend using their calculator. Man burris does a nice job with that. I made hits on a 6 inch gong at 400 using the bdc, and dialed the turret on the gun as well to see and still made hits. I know it's cheap. I know it's not a night force or other high end optic but I kinda like my cheap savage 308 with my cheap burris.

OP
E
I know how you feel! If it’s cheap and it works, why change?
At this point I have no need. One of these days I want a 7mm mag just for some dang reason. Decent optic on it, and then I can have another one in the safe that never comes out to play lol