.30-06 effective range

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be the odd-ball on bullet weight (and other things).

I run light in my 30-06 - 155 Berger
Heavy in my 308 - 175 or 180 Berger.

The 30-06 will do more than you think it will, just practice as much as possible and set some limits.

gelton

WKR
Your effective range (beyond your own capability) is mainly limited by the ability of the bullet to open based on specified fps.

Generally speaking, 1800fps is recommended for most bullets with a 1500fps as a minimum so figure that out and you will know the answer.

I shoot 180 grain Accubonds (handloads right about 2800 muzzle) - I'm just above 1800 FPS (Nosler's recommended speed) at 700 yards with over 1300 ft. lbs. at that distance. I shoot well at 600 - so that's my comfort limit and it's within the performance of the bullet.

30-06 is a very competent cartridge and will out shoot most shooters (myself included)

ianpadron

WKR
Your .30-06 will get the job done at 400 yards on elk every day and 2x on Sunday. With new powders and bullets, you could make a pretty strong case for the .30-06 out to 800 or so to be honest. I'd load some 190 ABLRs and be done with it!

600 yards would be my max on deer sized game. Got a wild boar at 450 yards with barnes VOR-TX LR 30-06 175gr.

Great Hog gun paired with the Benelli r1.

Shot one last year in Kansas at a lazered 410 yds. Dropped him in his tracks. Held about two inches over his back.

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I've been looking for some ammo recommendations. Most of my hunting experience has been in the Louisiana pine woods where 150yrds is a very long shot, so I've never really strayed from the cheap stuff like Remington Core lokt. But this year I'm planning on coming out to Wyoming for a mule deer hunt and want to be confident at least to 300. Unfortunately the only range within an hour is 100 yards and the nearest place I have permission to shoot farther (400ish) is 3 hours away. With limited time and ammo supply I've been wanting to try out a few different rounds but I'm not sure where to start. I've got a 30-06 Remington 700 with vortex viper 4x16 HS scope. Again I'm not trying to get past 400 for sure, I wont be able to practice past that distance. But I should be able to practice at 100yrds every week till my trip. Trying to get 3-4 available rounds to put on paper and pattern. Any recommendations where to start?

Laramie

WKR
Hey I've been looking for some ammo recommendations. Most of my hunting experience has been in the Louisiana pine woods where 150yrds is a very long shot, so I've never really strayed from the cheap stuff like Remington Core lokt. But this year I'm planning on coming out to Wyoming for a mule deer hunt and want to be confident at least to 300. Unfortunately the only range within an hour is 100 yards and the nearest place I have permission to shoot farther (400ish) is 3 hours away. With limited time and ammo supply I've been wanting to try out a few different rounds but I'm not sure where to start. I've got a 30-06 Remington 700 with vortex viper 4x16 HS scope. Again I'm not trying to get past 400 for sure, I wont be able to practice past that distance. But I should be able to practice at 100yrds every week till my trip. Trying to get 3-4 available rounds to put on paper and pattern. Any recommendations where to start?
Hopefully you were able to find ammo. For what it's worth this long after your question, the Remington's are just fine out to 400. They actually retain weight fairly well but are a bit lower velocity than your premium offerings on the market today. I shot my first 5 elk with them back in the 80s and early 90s.

Sakohunter264

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 150gr Accubond out of my Sako 30-06 to take a nice muley last year. The shot was 135yds, and the buck never took a step. I chronographed the load at 3067fps at sea level. I felt pretty comfortable out to 400yds.

Marble

WKR
I’m looking for some advice on effective range for a .30-06 and whether I should just consider a 300 win, instead.

for context, I live in the west and primarily hunt between 5000 and 7000 feet. I would be equipping this gun with premium ammo and a Leupold Vx3hd 4-14 cds scope. I already own a nice .30-06 (Tikka) but have considered trading it for a 300 wm

I don’t shoot all the time, but I’m also not inexperienced. I suspect my max range for a live Elk would be 400 yards, in good conditions. The core question I have - will the .30-06 get the job done at this range? Or, should I just consider a jump up to a .300 WM.

thanks I’m advance for the replies!
I'll be the dissenter here. I'm not a fan of using the non magnum type rounds for elk. So to me, your range doesn't matter.

I understand what the capabilities are for the round and the lethality and energy it produces. Almost any modern rifle cartridge CAN do what you asking for. In my experience, it leaves less room for error on the hunter and leads to more wounded animals.

I would get the 300 WM, in stainless with a synthetic stock. Mine is set up so I can shoot to 400 yards without touching a turret or using a hash mark for drop.

Keep the 06' for a back up weapon. I've needed my back up more than one time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'll be the dissenter here. I'm not a fan of using the non magnum type rounds for elk. So to me, your range doesn't matter.

I understand what the capabilities are for the round and the lethality and energy it produces. Almost any modern rifle cartridge CAN do what you asking for. In my experience, it leaves less room for error on the hunter and leads to more wounded animals.

I would get the 300 WM, in stainless with a synthetic stock. Mine is set up so I can shoot to 400 yards without touching a turret or using a hash mark for drop.

Keep the 06' for a back up weapon. I've needed my back up more than one time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Proper shooting and bullet placement > Bigger hammer in this scenario.

Wrench

WKR
With the right bullet choice and a good pilot, you could safely triple the range and not sweat lethality.

Vern400

WKR
An ought six is incredible. It has case capacity enough to push it farther than factory rounds (vs 308 which is maxed out by design). If your gun shoots them well (and not all do), use 165 gr Nosler Partitions. they work at all practical velocities and ranges....always the same. They open the same on a rabbit and a 300 pound boar hog shot right through the shield. They're great bullets but expensive and generally don't give sub moa accuracy. What they do well is not fail. If they shoot good in your gun. Gotta hit it first I reckon.

Then you could use 165 SBT GK for most everything else. They're a soft bullet that initiates expansion immediately, but isn't for crushing elk bones at 2800 fps. Up to mulies they'd be fine. The lighter 150 SBT GK will fragment on a heavy boned deer at short range with a hot '06 load. It'll kill him graveyard dead, but make a mess. Need to impact below about 2500 fps per the 50 or so deer I've shot with them. I've hit a few at near 2900 fps (10 yds) and I can say dont hit anything you plan to keep. But a few yards from a swamp thats what you want. A shot that absolutely anchors them.

I digress. Nothing wrong with the ought six as far out as a man should be shooting game. 280AI or 300 Jarrett might be cooler but not sure it's better.

KID

FNG
165 grain federal premium will get it done every day!...... I shot a spike bull at 456 yds with the good ole Remington core locked 165. He didn't take step call it luck, skill, or a bit of both but a 30-06 with a 165 grain bullet is money! I really like the new federal premium as of late.