300 AAC BLK Subsonic

Just curious how many use 300 BLK Sub Sonic on deer. I know they work. My buddy has killed at least 15 deer with subsonic 300BLK, but for some reason, 95% of people I see shooting 300BLK aren't suppressed and/or subsonic. Which that is mind blowing to me since it was designed as a subsonic round.

My buddy has stock of the Lehigh Defense controlled fracturing 168g bullets, but it looks like that bullet design has been dropped and now their subsonic design 30 cal bullets below 190g. I'm going to be trying their maximum expansion line and buying some pre-loaded hornady subsonic 190g subX ammo

Anyone else? Or are all the 300BLK fans here shooting the loud annoying stuff:p

Northpark

WKR
I’m curious to see folks answers. I’m planning on trying to 200gr speer soft nose on hogs in February. Of course subsonic suppressed out of my single shot CVA scout so crazy quiet.

Weldor

WKR
My buddy's daughter shot a nice Texas buck with a sub, did'nt go good. raking shot did not penetrate the ribs. I am sure a broadsidee work better. 80 yard shot.

Numbers show 300BK subs run like handgun loads, so "know your limits." Concur re: quiet subs vs supers and MSR/mouse gun action is loud compared to single/bolt action. Bullet choice is key and you're on top of that. Handloading using quick burn powders can be much quieter than factory loads, but it's tough to find published/proven load data. Have fun.

OP
D
I’m curious to see folks answers. I’m planning on trying to 200gr speer soft nose on hogs in February. Of course subsonic suppressed out of my single shot CVA scout so crazy quiet.
yeah myself and my friend I mentioned are both shooting a bolt action so its literally what the round used to be called. Whisper

OP
D
Numbers show 300BK subs run like handgun loads, so "know your limits." Concur re: quiet subs vs supers and MSR/mouse gun action is loud compared to single/bolt action. Bullet choice is key and you're on top of that. Handloading using quick burn powders can be much quieter than factory loads, but it's tough to find published/proven load data. Have fun.

The old 168g bullets I think operated on the same principle as an arrow because the bullets fractured into 6 pieces. 190g+ bullets are definitely more of a pistol type impact. But good shots should definitely be chosen because at low speeds bullet will break but not punch through bones. Bullets will deflect HARD and end up doing something funky

The subsonic 190g bullets are above 400ft.lbs energy at 100 yards. But with the new low speed bullet tech out there I don't think there should be much issue with mushrooming until you get below 750 fps.. And based on ballistic charts that won't happen till you're waaaay beyond effective range.

At 500 yards a 190 bullet is:
856 fps
309 ft.lbs energy
-409.2 inches of drop from a 50 yard zero

N2TRKYS

WKR
I load the 190 sub-x bullets for a buddy. They’re subsonic. He’s shot/killed one small buck with it. From what I’ve seen, expansion sucks. He keeps trying to talk me into getting one, but I’d have to see some better bullets before I’d go down that road.

Personally, I don’t have a reason to ever go that route. He does, so he’s trying it. I think he’s still on the fence about his.

OP
D
I load the 190 sub-x bullets for a buddy. They’re subsonic. He’s shot/killed one small buck with it. From what I’ve seen, expansion sucks. He keeps trying to talk me into getting one, but I’d have to see some better bullets before I’d go down that road.

Personally, I don’t have a reason to ever go that route. He does, so he’s trying it. I think he’s still on the fence about his.

While I certainly have seen it in action, I'm still floating the idea of going 8.6 blackout since it would be a simple bolt and barrel change

Ratbeetle

WKR
I personally don't see the point of subs. 110-130gr supers are a much better option IMO. They're also plenty quiet out of a suppressor.

I've sat out with some 190gr Sub-X several times for a chance at a deer in a treestand for archery distances. I've not had the opportunity to shoot one yet though, simply because I'll only try it when I have a lot of time available. That's because I know it'll be a rodeo in comparison to shooting supers

DoubleMM

FNG
My grandson has killed several hogs and one doe with Lehigh 194 grain subs that have worked well. I have killed some large hogs over 250 pounds with same round put prefer supers. I reload some 125 grain nosler and all the above have been suppressed. This one was last night at about 100 yards.

Attachments

• DB1BA33B-52F2-4AD1-9DB8-7642D5D31344.jpeg
    DB1BA33B-52F2-4AD1-9DB8-7642D5D31344.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 23
I shot one hog with a 208 ELDM sub from about 80yd. Penciled right through, but it was a neck shot and I hit the spine so he dropped instantly. Kicked around for several minutes and I should have done a finishing shot. I have one box of SUB-X bullets, but have not loaded any. For deer I would use Supers only, or if I really had to be quiet due to neighbors, I'd keep distances close to ensure good shot placement and as much expansion as possible.

duffman

FNG
I like hunting with subs (with appropriate bullets), but I approach it more like a powerful crossbow, meaning I’m really going for a high percentage double lung where I can minimize accidentally hitting a shoulder, and as broadside as possible to ensure pass-through.

It is pretty awesome to hear bullet impact thunk louder than the shot.

Garand thumb was shooting 8.6BLK with these projectiles and I have some interest in them. The gel tests looked promising.

Otherwise hornady subx and Lehigh work good. Treat it as bow or handgun hunting and they will kill fine.

Rob2d

FNG
I personally don't see the point of subs. 110-130gr supers are a much better option IMO. They're also plenty quiet out of a suppressor.
2nd this. Subs are definitely fun, just handicaps rounds though....and kills expansion.

duffman

FNG
Garand thumb was shooting 8.6BLK with these projectiles and I have some interest in them. The gel tests looked promising.

Otherwise hornady subx and Lehigh work good. Treat it as bow or handgun hunting and they will kill fine.
I used these, last one I shot dropped after turning and taking one step. No exit wound, upon processing, found the bullet embedded on the inside of the opposite shoulder blade.

T3ninja

FNG
Subsonic have their place, I have a property I can hunt that’s in town and I use subs there. I’ve personally taken around 10-15 deer with subs and they’re very effective and efficient killers if used properly. I wouldn’t have a problem using them out of my current system out to 200 yards, not that I’d even be able to shoot that far in my spot. Here’s exit side of a small Doe I took this am with 190 sub x out of .308IMG_7814.jpeg

T3ninja

FNG
Here’s a few more deer taken with sub rounds out of .308 and .300 BLK. Just this weekend me and a friend were shooting and making hits at 400 yards. At 300 we were making hits with boring regularity. My current favorite sub gun is
howa barreled action 16.25 .308,
Stockys carbon stock
190 subx- 7.8 titegroup, fed pistol primers
NXS 5.5-22

IMG_6842.png IMG_6905.png63313646943__826FCC3D-C97A-4768-B450-CF183AC6DA02.jpeg63339194773__2E7F420C-7C95-440B-B303-BF97DB5584EE.jpeg

RWA13

FNG
Here’s a few more deer taken with sub rounds out of .308 and .300 BLK. Just this weekend me and a friend were shooting and making hits at 400 yards. At 300 we were making hits with boring regularity. My current favorite sub gun is
howa barreled action 16.25 .308,
Stockys carbon stock
190 subx- 7.8 titegroup, fed pistol primers
NXS 5.5-22

View attachment 650386 View attachment 650387View attachment 650388View attachment 650389
How far were the shots on these?