300 PRC thoughts for Elk?

Twitch

WKR
I think 7 PRC is the better overall caliber. (Less recoil, less wind drift, more velocity at distance.)

That said at some point I plan on building a 300 PRC as my main rifle is a 7 SAUM and I want a long action rifle with some more oomph. The 7 PRC is a little too close to what the SAUM is to justify a different rifle, reloading dies, etc.

It’s a definite upgrade in performance (and recoil) over the 308.
I built a 7PRC to match my 300PRC LOL

Attachments

• Buck Rifle.jpg
    Buck Rifle.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Rifle Antelope.jpg
    Rifle Antelope.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 97

180ls1

WKR
How's the real-world velocity between the two? I've heard it's a lot closer than what the marketing wants you to believe.

Depends on your recoil aversion and, closely related, your appetite for carrying heavier rigs.

I've killed a lot of game with various 300 mags. 338's, too. There's no doubt that a big 30 cal will put game down near and far. I watched a guy put down a huge bull elk this fall at 700 yds with a 300 PRC.

But they also recoil more than most care for, which negatively affects the amount most are willing practice. This is not a good combination for building long range proficiency. Heavy recoil can be overcome, but it takes more rounds downrange than many are willing to endure. Certainly, heavier rigs will recoil less, but there's, of course, trade offs.

The 7 PRC might be a good alternative that won't really cost effective range, yet will have less recoil than the 300. Likewise with a 6.5 PRC, which recoils substantially less than 7mm mags. All have good loads readily available for decent prices.

Basically comes down to knowing yourself and what you're able and willing to master as far as recoil and carry around for weight.

Sounds like it's time for a 6.5 PRC for good measure. 🤣
Wasn't planning on it at the outset, but I'm on that path right now. Trying to decide on which action to stuff the 300 PRC in. Have a SS 700 on the shelf, but not thrilled about it. Might go X bolt OEM, or find someone to screw a barrel on one of my many old A-bolts. Or might go something else. If only Tikka would offer a true long action. . .

To be honest, the 7mm does everything I want, and if constrained by horrible circumstances to run only 1 big game rifle, it would most likely be in that cartridge. And my 6.5PRC would likely do everything I need as well, but I just haven't used it on larger game at this point.

Tms2334

FNG
300 PRC for me. But I’m partial. I started with a Ridgeline, sold it and built a custom rifle with manners stock and proof barrel and it’s amazing at how little recoil is felt compared to my .308 ruger m77. I’m pushing a 212 ELD-x at 3080. Things will die..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suda0402

FNG
Love my Seekins Havak PH2 300prc. I put a thunder beast muzzle brake on it and will be getting my suppresser soon, hopefully. With just the muzzle brake the recoil is less than what my 308 was. I love the gun and have shot antelope, deer and elk with it.

Another vote for the Seekins PH2 300PRC. I use the same rifle in 7PRC but if you want a 30 caliber round the 300PRC is an excellent choice. Good factory ammo available with more choices to come soon.

Tms2334

FNG
I feel like this thread needs more pictures.
b91f618140f800e1a0885277d7181755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5c5ec985b3ede5693b4dd1a90fefe81a.jpg

rsipes3

FNG
300prc is just an upgraded, more modern 300wm, its what all long range shooters wish the WM was from the start. theres absolutely nothing wrong with the WM it is a great big game killer as well. but if i was looking to buy a new gun i would certainly pick the prc. i think the only valid arguement for why u might choose a WM over a PRC is factory ammo availability.

bjt307

FNG
300 prc will definitely get the job done. 300 win was and is a good cartridge but I think popularity of the 300 prc will only increase as the 300 win decreases.

nest

FNG
I own both a 300 win mag and a 300 prc, both are good cartridges and will do what you are asking. I have had much better success with the 300 prc factory ammo high BC bullets than high BC factory ammo for the 300 win mag. If you are a hand loader you should be able to find a high BC hunting bullet that will work with the 300 win mag. The factory loaded 212 eldx for the 300 prc is a very good elk bullet, have taken three so far with it.

Used a 300prc and 225 match this year. Very accurate, very good in the wind and 4dof makes things very simple. Would reccomend. If you already have a 300WM I'd say just keep it but if buying get the prc.
You prefer the 225 match vs the 212 ELDX on game?