The 22 creedmoor thread

Gentleman I have decided after a lot of the required reading and the rokslide journey stating with the 223 thread that I’m getting a 22 CM from Unknown Munitions on the Rokstock. Any recommendations on barrel length/ any other items to consider. Gun will be used 95% for whitetails and hogs 0-600 and elk the other 5%. Thanks in advance
Ask them, they are the experts and you are paying for the sum of their experience

I went 18” on mine still waiting for the can and very happy with it! Carries its speeed much farther than I’m capable of shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

270quest

WKR
I need some help/advice on my 22 creed...8twist tikka that Karl cut at 19" and threaded. (suppressor still in jail)

My goal from the start was to run the 80s - hopefully around 3100-3200 FPS suppressed. At that velocity, I figured the tougher ELDX bullet would perform well if a shorter shot with higher impact velocity occurred in the field. I am going to take this rifle out for deer/antelope and possibly elk if I can talk my self into it.

I started with 80 eldx and H4350, Hornady brass - but got up to about 37.0 grains it started showing pressure signs and velocity was only about 2850-2900 FPS. Accuracy for 10 rounds was great, but I want more velocity with this rifle.

Got some 77 TMKs and loaded at 37.0 grains and got 2950-3000 fps with good accuracy and probably could go up more on my powder - at least to 37.5 or possibly 38. But my concern is if I run them to say 3100 FPS - Thats a lot of velocity for a bullet that seems to perform best when lauched more in the 2700-2800 FPS range.

So I purchased a box of the Hornady factory ammo - 80 grain ELDX. It advertises 3285 FPS. Set up my chonograph and for the 20 rounds averaged around 3150 FPS, However, the rifle did not like it. Shot bullets all over the place. So bad to the point that I had to shoot 5 TMK handloads to ensure it wasn't a scope/ring issue. (it wasn't - those 5 clustered nicely as expected)

So I am kind of back at square one - trying to figure out some loads - I am thinking of trying H4831SC? Any one using these in their loads or have any loads they would be willing to PM me? Or any advice? Should I try to get the TMKs honed in at 3100 FPS and run with those?

So I am kind of back at square one - trying to figure out some loads - I am thinking of trying H4831SC? Any one using these in their loads or have any loads they would be willing to PM me? Or any advice? Should I try to get the TMKs honed in at 3100 FPS and run with those?
If a 1:8 twist am suggesting you start with 75 ELDX and H4350. Have seen too many 1:8 barrels agree with that combo. Work your way up toward 43 grains to see where things come together.

Hope this helps!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I need some help/advice on my 22 creed...8twist tikka that Karl cut at 19" and threaded. (suppressor still in jail)

My goal from the start was to run the 80s - hopefully around 3100-3200 FPS suppressed. At that velocity, I figured the tougher ELDX bullet would perform well if a shorter shot with higher impact velocity occurred in the field. I am going to take this rifle out for deer/antelope and possibly elk if I can talk my self into it.

I started with 80 eldx and H4350, Hornady brass - but got up to about 37.0 grains it started showing pressure signs and velocity was only about 2850-2900 FPS. Accuracy for 10 rounds was great, but I want more velocity with this rifle.

Got some 77 TMKs and loaded at 37.0 grains and got 2950-3000 fps with good accuracy and probably could go up more on my powder - at least to 37.5 or possibly 38. But my concern is if I run them to say 3100 FPS - Thats a lot of velocity for a bullet that seems to perform best when lauched more in the 2700-2800 FPS range.

So I purchased a box of the Hornady factory ammo - 80 grain ELDX. It advertises 3285 FPS. Set up my chonograph and for the 20 rounds averaged around 3150 FPS, However, the rifle did not like it. Shot bullets all over the place. So bad to the point that I had to shoot 5 TMK handloads to ensure it wasn't a scope/ring issue. (it wasn't - those 5 clustered nicely as expected)

There are zero issues in animals with 77gr TMK to at least 3,400fps.

If a 1:8 twist am suggesting you start with 75 ELDX and H4350. Have seen too many 1:8 barrels agree with that combo. Work your way up toward 43 grains to see where things come together.

Hope this helps!
Pls disregard, sorry. I was referring to ELDM, not X. Am supposing there is no 75 grain ELDX.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Maybe thats the direction I go - try going up a bit in powder and trying to settle on an accurate, repeatable load in the 3100-3150 FPS range with the TMK.

It’s absolutely destructive at those impact velocities. But, I would bet you can find a load for the 80gr ELD-X as well.

FYI Cabela's has the 88s in stock at decent price and you can get 10% off with the club card. Beats any ammoseek price at just over 29¢/round shipped to the store for me.

UM is just waiting on my Ace barrel but I hope to be shooting it this summer...

SouthPaw

WKR

Give the barrel 100-150 rounds to speed up. H4831sc will get you where you want with the 80s. They do 3200fps in my 20".

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Agree with above. Get 200 rounds on that barrel before determining it’s too slow.

77tmk as Iv noted in this thread, from a 22creed are absolutely destructive, almost too much.

I do have some 80eldx to try this year as well as a bunch more 88s.

But for sub 300 yard back home whitetail I don’t want any more damage than the 77tmk makes at close range.

270quest

WKR
The 80 grain loads I came up with that were 2900 FPS were extremely accurate...If they had ran at least 3100, I probably would have been fine and dandy...

Going back to the reloading bench this week - see what we can put together.

Lastly, when my suppressor is out of jail - (Silencer Backcountry) will shooting with that attached add any pressure? As in if I work up a max load unsuppressed, will I need to back that off at all once I put the suppressor on?