.300 WIN MAG Ammo Advice

Gents,

looking for some round selection advice. Here’s a bit of background:

I’m not a reloader at this time and am shooting factory ammo in my .300 WM. I mostly hunt deer and black bearon the east coast but also head out west about once a year for mule deer and hopefully elk next season.

I shot 10 different varieties of factory ammo ranging from 150 grain core lokt to 200 grain Precision Hunter ELd-X and everything in between. I’m looking for some experiences/advice on these two scenarios:

1) Deer/Bear back East with 300-400 yard shots

2) Mule Deer / Elk out west to 650 yards

Here’s the ammo the rifle likes:

a) 180 grain Federal Power Shok (.76” group at 100)

b) 165 grain Federal Fusions (.76” group at 100)

c) 185 Berger Classic Hunter (.82” group at 100)

d) 200 grain Precision Hunter ELD-X (.85” group at 100)

I’m thinking the 165 Fusion on the deer/bear and then the 200 ELD-X out west.

Thoughts?

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same thing with mine and the Barnes Vor-tx TTSX were a clear winner

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Have had very good results with the Federal Power Shoks out to 250+ yards for my 300 WIN MAG & 30-06. A good affordable round that you can shoot alot for practice & sighting to insure you are comfortable with your set-up.

I will blow through a box of fusions when first shooting early just to make sure nothing got knocked on the rifle or sight.

Only comment/concern is on larger animals at shorter range, have not seen full penetration pass through to leave a good blood trail. Last 3 animals have died within 40-60 yards, just an observation.

As stated above, shoot what feels right in your rifle and you are comfortable with.

gelton

WKR
have a look at the Swift Scirocco II's...I am in the process of switching from Berger 215 hybrids and was looking for the toughest bonded bullet that I can find with a decent ballistic coefficient and the swift sciroccos met all the criteria I was looking for...which by the way was a bullet I could take a quartering towards shot on an elk at 80 yards or a broadside shot at 800 yards.

I have the factory ammo (180 grains) chronoed at 3096 fps from my weatherby backcountry 300 wm.

Last edited:
My 300WM RM700 is .5 moa @100yds off the bipod with Federal 180gr NP...thats all the round I have ever needed for anything.

OP
sixmilestill
Gents,

thanks for all the solid advice. I do plan on trying out the Barnes vortex and I’ll try the215s out as well. i just don’t know if I can beat at 3/4” with factory ammo in a magnum round But we will see. If not, the upside is the current top performer is very reasonably priced so I can send more down range and improve my shooting skills without needing a second mortgage! Thanks to all!

Inline6

FNG
Run the numbers on those 215s, I am willing to bet the 185s out perform the 215s. Speed can make up for bc.

JohnnyB

WKR
I use Barnes TTSX 180 gn both factory and hand loads. Great performance with factory but I hand load to insure availability (here in CA, it can be difficult to find much in stock and we can’t order online anymore). Based on performance alone, I would have stuck with factory instead of reloading another caliber for marginal improvements in accuracy.

tdhanses

WKR
Run the numbers on those 215s, I am willing to bet the 185s out perform the 215s. Speed can make up for bc.
I’d be shocked if this is true, even the federal factory loads with the 215’s are rated at 2850ft/s.

KYKRAZEE

FNG
Gents,

I’m not a reloader at this time and am shooting factory ammo in my .300 WM. I mostly hunt deer and black bearon the east coast but also head out west about once a year for mule deer and hopefully elk next season.

I shot 10 different varieties of factory ammo ranging from 150 grain core lokt to 200 grain Precision Hunter ELd-X and everything in between. I’m looking for some experiences/advice on these two scenarios:

Thoughts?
Pick appropriate bullet make up for the species of animal and hunt....im real sure you're covered.

Gents,

Thoughts?
Use the 180 Federal on everything.

KYKRAZEE

FNG
Gents,

Thoughts?

I think you hit that combo square on the head! May I ask what rifle/scope you're runnin?

Aviator

WKR
I seldom use factory ammo, I got a new 300 Win mag last week and just for the heck of it I tried some Nosler trophy grade 180 AB ammo...it shot it into half inch groups..As much as I like to reload I might just buy a few boxes of this ammo and call it good.

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Not at all trying to sound “preachy” but in the interest of picking a load; If you’re planning on shooting deer and elk at 650 yards you should test your ammo at that range too. You might find it eliminates a couple of those options right off the bat. They’re obviously all plenty good at 100 yards.