300 win mag load

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

Looking to see if anyone out there has had good luck with reloading for a savage 110 long range hunter in 300 win mag. I just picked one up and would appreciate any help as most components are hard to find. Probably going with winchester or hornady brass as that's what I have, but open to any loads, bullets, grouping size, etc.

Thanks

I used to have one of these rifles.
Winchester brass
WLRM
200 grain ELDX
79 grains H1000
This load would shoot 3/4 MOA.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I load these for my 300 wm
Nosler brass
Imr 7828 at 74.6gr
Nosler Accubond 180
Federal large magnums primer
3.425 OLV

Attachments

• 470D747F-C521-4BF1-88CB-0C2E00E32DE1.png
    470D747F-C521-4BF1-88CB-0C2E00E32DE1.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 33
OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks elkchaser and prc guy.

I know there has to be more out there that have something going for this gun. Appreciate the help.

GreenOne

FNG
I load for a model 70. My current load is:
Hornady Brass
Fed 215 primers
74.5gr H1000
Berger 210 vld
OAL 3.51
Ogive 2.66
2850fps

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
So far I'm only ready to sell this rifle. I know it's been a while. After a period of moving around I finally got my reloading set back up. I've shot 6 different factory ammo loads out of this gun, and 6 different reloads out of this gun. My tightest group at 100 yards is 3". I find this pathetic. I'm mostly concerned about coal. In order for my bullet to fit into the magazine I have to shorten my coal by .145 from where I would typically try to go from, which would be. 010 off the lands. I am using berger bullets amd I know they are longer. But what else could I try? I've seen several reviews about factory loads shooting under an inch. But I'm not even close. Not saying I'm the best shooter, but I have other guns that I can shoot under 1/2". Is there something off with gun? Is this common for this model of savage?

Juno07

FNG
I suggest heading over to this thread and read everything. It has helped quite a few people with their load development.

OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks juno07
that was definitely interesting and I will have to try it. Anyone else that sees this should read that discussion as well. Everyone has unique methods, but undoubtedly something could be gained by everyone who reloads rifle rounds.

Harvey_NW

WKR
So far I'm only ready to sell this rifle. I know it's been a while. After a period of moving around I finally got my reloading set back up. I've shot 6 different factory ammo loads out of this gun, and 6 different reloads out of this gun. My tightest group at 100 yards is 3". I find this pathetic. I'm mostly concerned about coal. In order for my bullet to fit into the magazine I have to shorten my coal by .145 from where I would typically try to go from, which would be. 010 off the lands. I am using berger bullets amd I know they are longer. But what else could I try? I've seen several reviews about factory loads shooting under an inch. But I'm not even close. Not saying I'm the best shooter, but I have other guns that I can shoot under 1/2". Is there something off with gun? Is this common for this model of savage?
I would do a complete mechanical run through before firing another shot. Tear it apart, inspect bedding area and barrel channel, degrease and retorque all screws to correct values with blue loctite, if using a pic rail make sure scope ring faces are seated in the slots, make sure barrel is completely floated and channel is clear, etc.

Then do Form's method at functional mag length with quality components, and shoot a test group with the load you come up with. If it starts out to be 2+" in the first 5 shots, obviously it won't get better and you're done. If it starts out looking a lot better, hammer out a 10-20 shot group and see what you're working with, no small sample BS.

What optic is on that rifle?