300 WM purchase

Buster1

FNG
Hi,

I'm looking to add a 300 WM for hunting elk. I have other capable calibers, but I'm hell bent on buying another gun and wanting to step up.

Do most of my hunting in MT. I'm thinking of buying a Weatherby Accumark (or Accumark elite). My plan is to buy a suppressor (probably a dead air nomad) for range only. When hunting, I can deal with the recoil of a round or two without muzzle device - plus, the weight of rifle is on higher side.

I'm 185 lbs and very comfortable hiking in mountains.

Appreciate thoughts on my game plan. Other rifle ideas? Suppressor?

Thanks!!

IMO if you’re going to practice with a suppressor, you should plan to hunt with one as well. Your velocity will be different with and without a suppressor so I think it’s better to keep it consistent if possible. Suppressor will also make follow up shots easier.

Would also give the TBAC ultra 7 and 9 a look for a suppressor.

OP
B

Buster1

FNG
IMO if you’re going to practice with a suppressor, you should plan to hunt with one as well. Your velocity will be different with and without a suppressor so I think it’s better to keep it consistent if possible. Suppressor will also make follow up shots easier.

Would also give the TBAC ultra 7 and 9 a look for a suppressor.
Thanks, makes sense, was just thinking the 26" barrel + suppressor is getting a bit unwieldy on the back. I could also pivot to a Bergara B14 that's 22", and quite a bit lighter (not really ideal). Or, build Tikka with 24" proof barrel and split the difference? Thx for recommendations on cans, will take a look

OP
B

Buster1

FNG
Thx for suggestion KenLee. I could write a book on how to overcomplicate something, so pretty sure I'll be doing plenty of second guessing.

What if your budget was more like $2K for the gun?

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
you dont really need a 300 WM to hunt montana. i went from 30-06 to 7 mag and now down to 308 with a 243 in the works. as for a suppressor, i'll never hunt without one again. it's a game changer. if i could get away with it i'd never buy a rifle that isn't already threaded. left handers kinda get screwed on that one....

good luck. 300 WM are fun to shoot...for the first three shots...

If you’re looking for a 300wm for long range hunting, I’m about to list something that I think fits the bill well in your price range..

Seekins havak with a 26” bartlein #4 carbon done by ts customs throated perfect for 215s, 9 twist. No taking chances because I know it shoots. I’ve still got the barely broken in factory barrel too.
DB71680F-DDE1-406E-A684-E2860D64BCBD.jpeg10D5D088-FB51-4A16-8C79-4736FE8B6AEC.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
If you’re looking for a 300wm for long range hunting, I’m about to list something that I think fits the bill well in your price range..

Seekins havak with a 26” bartlein #4 carbon done by ts customs throated perfect for 215s, 9 twist. No taking chances because I know it shoots. I’ve still got the barely broken in factory barrel too.
View attachment 664404View attachment 664405
Probably a stupid question, but can you have a carbon barrel cut and threaded?
No way I'd put a suppressor on a 26 inch barrel.

Probably a stupid question, but can you have a carbon barrel cut and threaded?
No way I'd put a suppressor on a 26 inch barrel.
I wouldn't hunt with it that way either but the OP specifically mentioned using it at the range and hunting without the can.

This particularly rifle was indirectly responsible for me hearing bugles in late november.. I was wearing electronic hearing protection because of the brake and heard stuff i never would have with my naked ears.

bpctcb

WKR
Check out a Savage 110 High Coutry. In 300 wm it has 24” barrel & 5/8-24 threads.
Yesterday I was shooting a 6.5 PRC High Country w/ 24” barrel & Silencerco suppressor, with factory Hornady 147 gr ammo. I was easily hitting a 8”x10” steel target at 726 yards. The weight was reasonable w/ suppressor attached and I would not hesitate to carry it on an elk hunt.

I have a Silencerco Omega 300 and love it.

BP

Last edited: