.300 WSM and Elk

I would love advice from those who use this caliber to hunt elk and have seen many elk die at the hands of a rifle. I own a Tikka T3 in .300 WSM and shoot whitetail and mule deer with 150 gr. Winchester ballistic silvertip ammo. I am exceedingly happy with this combination for deer. I have never hunted elk with a rifle before, only bow.

Opinions are all over the place regarding elk calibers from .270 to lapua. My question is specifically about bullet grain and bullet type for a .300 WSM and elk. Should I changed my ammo?
Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I've been led to believe a ballistic tip isn't ideal for a thick skinned elk. I've only shot one elk with my .300 WSM. I used 180 gr. partitions on that hunt and dropped him in his tracks at 380 yards. Had a clean, pass through.

That being said, my rifle likes the 150 BT a lot better and it's been great for whitetail but I believe there are better options when hunting elk.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Accubonds are great, Bergers, Barnes, see which one shoots the best. Are you reloading or buying factory ammo?

I try to avoid any type of frangible bullet for elk hunting. I've had great luck with Barnes TSX and have been shooting them for many years now. Lots of love for the Accubonds here and on other sites.

I'd go a 168 grain TSX if it were my gun.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen quite a few die from a 160 accubond from a 7WSM. Very close comparable to your cartridge. They work from 30 to 530 yards. I'll echo what Jason said above. Stay away from a bullet that comes apart easily like a b-tip for elk. They work well on smaller species since the vitals are closer to the skin. For an elk penetration is important. Thicker skin, bigger bones and wider body call for a better penetrating projectile. Accubond, Accubond LR, Bonded Bear Claw, Triple Shock, x bullet, GMX, Interbond and the like will do good.....with the one ever important caveat..........there's no replacement for bullet placement!

Rucker61

WKR
I try to avoid any type of frangible bullet for elk hunting. I've had great luck with Barnes TSX and have been shooting them for many years now. Lots of love for the Accubonds here and on other sites.

I'd go a 168 grain TSX if it were my gun.

I'm shooting Barnes 168 gr TTSX in my Tikka .300 WSM. Sub MOA at 300 yards and dropped my elk last year no problem. It was only 124 yards, so it was definitely pass through.

OP
B
Thanks for all the replies. It is good to hear real world experience and not just conjecture! To answer StrutNut's question, I use factory ammunition.

Been using that caliber for 13 years. I use it for deer, elk, antelope, bear. Basically everything. I am not a huge long range guy but my longest kill was a deer at 460 yards, closest was my bear at 35 yards. I agree with mentioned above about the bullets and get a bullet that will tear apart. In my experience I have always shot either federal 180 grains or Winchester 180 grains.

I shoot a .300WM and have had great luck with the 150 hornady interbond. 97% average weight retention on the bullets I found that were shot at 710 yards. Ideally, I would go with a heavier bullet (168-180) but my gun loves the 150s.

OP
B
Well it looks like I need to go ammo shopping and adjust my scope elevation for 20 or 30 more grains of bullet. Thank you all.

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the 180 grain ballistic tips were made differently than the lighter grain bullets so they did have better penetration/retention for larger animals. I'll try to find out where I had read that

Beastmode

WKR
I thought the 180 grain ballistic tips were made differently than the lighter grain bullets so they did have better penetration/retention for larger animals. I'll try to find out where I had read that
They make hunting ballistic tips and varmint ballistic tips. The hunting ones hold together a little bit better but would not be my first choice for an elk bullet.

KNOPHISH

FNG
I have the same set up & use 180 gr accubonds reloaded. They kill stuff pretty well. Just got a factory box of Nosler trophy grade with the same bullet & they are in the kill zone.

I shoot a 168 grain Berger VLD. The Hunting Shack Ammunition out of Stevensville, MT make a great lineup called "Trophy Gold". That's all I shoot out of my 300WSM and they are killer. Everything from bears to deer to elk get that bullet and I've yet to have one complaint.

power54

FNG
I picked up a 300WSM a few years back and shot a cow with it last year for the first time. I was using 165 grains Barnes TTSX (Barnes brand ammo). She took 2 steps forward and 4 steps backwards and I had a freezer full of meat.

Here's my son with a cow he shot with his Model 70 EWSS in 300 WSM using a 180 gr. Accubond reload. She was 100 yards away and he hit her tight behind her right shoulder. The bullet angle was such that it went up and took a junk out of her spine, angled back down and went out her left shoulder. It was just under the hide on her left shoulder about an inch into the meat. Perfect mushroom, perfect performance.

She never so much as even twitched and just dropped! Love that 300 WSM and whats not to like about those Nosler bullets!!

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting Barnes 168 gr TTSX in my Tikka .300 WSM. Sub MOA at 300 yards and dropped my elk last year no problem. It was only 124 yards, so it was definitely pass through.

I also shoot the 168 TTSX from my 300WSM. Both of them, in fact. Both love 66.5gr RE17 for 3100fps and 1/2-3/4 MOA. Hard to imaging a better elk load and it has HAMMERED everything I've ever shot with it. I doubt you could keep one inside a broadside elk within 500 yards it penetrates so well.