300 WSM mono?

the hack

WKR
Hello,

Looking to shoot a lighter 300 wsm bullet for an upcoming goat hunt and am finding mainly monos as I dont handload. Does anyone have any experience shooting these at goats? Thanks for the consideration!

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wanted to try a lighter bullet and wasn't seeing what I wanted, but was seeing lighter monos so figured I'd try a lighter mono.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Lighter like 165s? I shoot the 180 nosler etip from my wsm. Never shot a goat but the elks deers bears antelope all fell victim.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wanted to try a lighter bullet and wasn't seeing what I wanted, but was seeing lighter monos so figured I'd try a lighter mono.
Monos at speed kill things fine. But the way you’re structuring the question is a little odd. If you could have any bullet what would you want I suppose? Yeah there are 150gr mono options, there are also 165gr lead ones too.

I hunt monos so no pushback if that’s your goal, you just seem to be arriving there is a weird way. :)

I hunt with the 180gr CX and get 2900 mv from a 22" barrel. That bullet has preformed well, but I haven't hunted goats with it, only elk and mule deer out to 500 yards. It's hard to find in stock though, so I bought 5 years worth the last time I found some.

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
I hunt with the 180gr CX and get 2900 mv from a 22" barrel. That bullet has preformed well, but I haven't hunted goats with it, only elk and mule deer out to 500 yards. It's hard to find in stock though, so I bought 5 years worth the last time I found some.
Thanks a ton! How's the recoil? Braked?

I’ve shot elk and deer with 165 Barnes TTSX with my 300wsm. Worked great. I picked up 3 boxes of 150 Barnes TTSX a few months ago when I found some in stock. I haven’t had a chance to shoot and chrono speed yet but according to the box, the 150 is fairly faster and has damn near identical ft/lbs out to 500 yards as the 165s with less drop. If they shoot good, I wouldn’t hesitate using them on just about anything in North America.

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
I’ve shot elk and deer with 165 Barnes TTSX with my 300wsm. Worked great. I picked up 3 boxes of 150 Barnes TTSX a few months ago when I found some in stock. I haven’t had a chance to shoot and chrono speed yet but according to the box, the 150 is fairly faster and has damn near identical ft/lbs out to 500 yards as the 165s with less drop. If they shoot good, I wouldn’t hesitate using them on just about anything in North America.
Very helpful, thank you!

I have killed lots of animals with a 300 wsm and 168 TTSX bullets at about 3100 fps (handloads 26" barrel) Worked well for everything. The 168 ttsx is slightly softer than the 165 ttsx more like a lrx before that became a thing.

I would have no hesitation using a barnes bullet for your application. Looks like they make a 150 and a 165gr loaded ammo option for the 300wsm. Either would work well within their velocity range- faster the better. Try both and see which your rifle likes better!

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
I have killed lots of animals with a 300 wsm and 168 TTSX bullets at about 3100 fps (handloads 26" barrel) Worked well for everything. The 168 ttsx is slightly softer than the 165 ttsx more like a lrx before that became a thing.

I would have no hesitation using a barnes bullet for your application. Looks like they make a 150 and a 165gr loaded ammo option for the 300wsm. Either would work well within their velocity range- faster the better. Try both and see which your rifle likes better!
Great ideas!

roymunson

WKR
I know the Barnes 180 grains are deadly .Had a buddy kill a muley in 2022 with the hollowpoint version and I was able to dump a moose on the spot with the blue tips last fall.

I killed a muley with my 7RM 150 om the same bullet. It worked, but I don't think I got the expansion I would have with a cup and core or a bonded bullet.

WBT

FNG
I've shot two goats with 180 gr. TTSX out of my 300 WSM. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 150 or 165 gr. TTSX. You could also have some ammo custom loaded with Hammer or Patriot Valley monos too.

OP
the hack

the hack

WKR
I've shot two goats with 180 gr. TTSX out of my 300 WSM. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 150 or 165 gr. TTSX. You could also have some ammo custom loaded with Hammer or Patriot Valley monos too.
Really appreciate this information, thanks!

Scorpion

WKR
I’d have no concerns about a 165 TSX or 168 TTSX for goats. That’s actually probably a dang good setup. The 165 Accubond would also work well. I killed the one in my profile pic with the guide’s 30-06 and 180 A-Frames when I couldn’t make it happen with the bow.

Legend

WKR
Hello,

Looking to shoot a lighter 300 wsm bullet for an upcoming goat hunt and am finding mainly monos as I dont handload. Does anyone have any experience shooting these at goats? Thanks for the consideration!
We have killed 3 elk with a 300wsm and 124grain hammer hunters. All worked as planned. Keep it inside 450yds and you should be fine.

SDHNTR

WKR
IMO, goats should be broken down by shooting through both shoulders so they don’t jump off a cliff. In which case a mono is perfect medicine.