300WSM barrel length for hunting rifle?

I’m about to have a new rifle built and I’m trying to decide on a barrel length for 300WSM. This is going to be a multi caliber/barrel rifle built on a Bighorn SR3 SA with a SwitchLug from WTO; but the 300WSM barrel will only be used for hunting. I favor shorter barrels on my hunting rifles because I almost always run a suppressor, long rifles can be a PITA in thick terrain and I’m not trying to ring ring steel at long range or ELR hunt. Most of my current hunting rifles sport 20”-24” barrels. I really like my 22” barrels.

I want to be able to use this rifle for shooting game out to ~600yds (700 at very most) although I typically don’t need to shoot more than 400-500. I’m building this with Alaska hunts in mind and this particular barrel primarily for moose or bear; but I’ll also use it for some Texas nilgai, aoudad, etc. I don’t have ANY intention of shooting a moose at 700yds but I’d like to be prepared if it was a once-in-a-lifetime bull and I wasn’t going to get another chance. Just preparing for a worst-case scenario. I’m thinking about bullet weights from 180gr to 210gr. I’ll probably get a reamer optimized for Berger 180gr Elite Hunters or 181gr Hammers. I kinda think a 24” tube would be plenty for what I’m trying to do but this is a new caliber for me and, so, I thought I’d ask some advice on here.

What barrel length(s) do you think I should consider, and why? If you’re shooting 300WSM and can share what velocities you’re getting and you barrel length (assuming you’ve found an accuracy node with a minimum of sub-MOA results) I’d sure appreciate it. I’ve got a good stock of H1000 so that’s probably what I’ll load with.

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I've used the 300WSM for quite a while, almost exclusively with the 180gr Accubond. I've got a 24" barrel, which I think is pretty much perfect for the cartridge.

My favorite hand load is a 180AB over Hybrid 100V at 2925fps. I can bump speeds up, but accuracy suffers in my rifle. I'm not optimistic enough to shoot moose at 700, but I've killed a couple of them (and some caribou) at the 400 and change mark with it and quite a few more in the 200-400 yard range.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
20-22 inches will do everything you need it to with the weight of bullets you are looking at. Just finished a 300 WSM with a 22" carbon Bartlein currently using 185 VLD going at 2930 with RL 23. The current load is compressed barely but could defiantly get some more speed with other powders if desired. Have some 205 EOL bergers that will be tried soon and expect to be pushing them between 2850-2950. The current COAL would fit into a short action magazine but the rifle is built on a Defiance XM action so has almost .300" of additional OAL. So once I have the free-bore throated out a bit farther will be able to gain some additional case capacity.
~Matt

Attachments

• MG_XM_2.jpg
    MG_XM_2.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 65

Wrench

WKR
24" here. 208 amax at 2760 and have no issue pounding garbage can lid sized rocks at 2.x what you're talk about with boring regularity.....and that's with a 3x9swfa.

Your barrel length will depend on what Suppressor you are using? What is the shortest they recommend for a 300 wsm? I would go with that - the shortest your Can company says you can go with it.

I have a 300 wsm with a 26" barrel +2" brake. hate how long it is, but I do get 3190 fps with 168 TTSX . it has killed everything I have shot with it. The current rifle I am putting together for a suppressor has a 16" barrel!

Sadler

WKR
Your barrel length will depend on what Suppressor you are using? What is the shortest they recommend for a 300 wsm? I would go with that - the shortest your Can company says you can go with it.

I have a 300 wsm with a 26" barrel +2" brake. hate how long it is, but I do get 3190 fps with 168 TTSX . it has killed everything I have shot with it. The current rifle I am putting together for a suppressor has a 16" barrel!

I’m building a 300WSM with an 18” barrel right now because that’s the shortest my TBAC ultra 7 is rated for. Which suppressor are you using that allows a 16” barrel?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
20” Bartlein 300WSM with Ultra 7 suppressor here.
Bought a case of Norma 180 grain bondstrike factory ammo because it was $20 more than 200 pieces of new Norma brass.
It chrono’d 2,900 and change out of my rifle.
If the published BC of 0.615 is correct, at my locale in Indiana that bullet will hits 2,000 fps and 1,600 lb ft of energy at the 650 yard line.

Jlee91w

FNG
I have a tikka roughtech with a 23 3/somethings threaded barrel. I wish it was shorter with a TBAC ultra7. Getting 2800 with 200gr accubomds. IMR 7828 and really accurate.

fatbacks

WKR
I should have my latest 300 wsm rifle back in a month or so - went with 18” proof. I’ll report back how it shoots.

My existing 300 wsm has a 22” barrel and I like it but wanted shorter. It shoots the 200 gr LRX at 2830 FPS.

Last edited:
I’m building a 300WSM with an 18” barrel right now because that’s the shortest my TBAC ultra 7 is rated for. Which suppressor are you using that allows a 16” barrel?
It’s a 308 win, so not a mag. I just like shorter rifles and that 7-9” really makes it long again. The suppressor is worth it, hearing loss is real.

Wrench

WKR
I'm building a 20" right now. Going to try the 200x20 Bergers. I hope ADG gets off its ass and makes some 300 WSM brass this summer.

I milled some of those 200.20x bullets to see what makes em tick....I think they are gonna be nearly perfect at the speeds you'll push them. I'm actually going to build a 20" myself if I can get my hands on a barrel soon.

B23

WKR
Y'all building these, mostly, on short, mid, or long actions???

Oldffemt

WKR
I have a tikka that’s been cut to 22”. I would’ve gone shorter but that’s the minimum length my suppressor is rated for. I’m getting 3100fps with 165 AB’s over R26. Most likely Could go a bit faster but it’s pretty solid where it’s at.

OP
BrushyHillGuide

I didn’t even consider barrel length for the suppressor I’m using. Great point. I’ll most likely be using my Ultra 7 so now I know my lengths are appropriate. Thanks for bringing that up and giving me some useful info!