30x enough scope for Yellowstone National Park?

Blue72

WKR
Going to Yellowstone in September. I am bringing binoculars and a Nikon ED50 with 27x eyepiece.

for those who have been out there. Is this enough scope to enjoy the park? Especially Lamar Valley

I think so, when I went I took a Krotos 15-45x65 and we got to watch a group of young bulls mill about at about a mile and a half and some further than that sparring. I could easily see to the other side of Hayden with that scope, I think you can have a great time with that kit. Especially with decent binos, where I fell short

You can take decent phone scope photos with it too. I was impressed when I ran side by side pictures of rams above my house with the Nikon ED 50, 13-30X zoom versus my Swaro 20-60x65 HD. The Swaro was better but the Nikon photos were good too. And you can really blow up the image by zooming your phone up so you are increasing the X factor on the spotter by several times, plus taking photos,

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Yes, we spend a few days in Yellowstone each spring and fall viewing wildlife and 27 power will be fine.

The combination of good binoculars and a spotting scope will enhance your trip.

ClearCreek

Going to Yellowstone in September. I am bringing binoculars and a Nikon ED50 with 27x eyepiece.

for those who have been out there. Is this enough scope to enjoy the park? Especially Lamar Valley

When in September will you be in YNP?

Right now we plan on being in the park Sept. 16-19. A good time to watch the elk activity, plus hope to see a few wolves and bears, both grizzly and black bears.

ClearCreek

I ran my 65mm spotter in Yellowstone last summer, max power 48x but I don't use it much above 30x. You should be fine with what you're bringing. Even in Lamar Valley I was able to pick out a small black bear and coyotes from about as far as I could glass.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, didn't want to start another thread.
Will be going to Colorado NPRM and Yellowstone in late June.
Will also tour for Wildlife Sightseeing with Kids and their Grandma....so, it's that limited sightseeing...high probability from side of the road.

Budget for Bino mostly likely under $300 or less, with a high probability of using again after some years trying to pay for that vacation.

Open for suggestions...still watching YouTube on understanding binos.
Thanks and Have a Great Day

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, didn't want to start another thread.
Will be going to Colorado NPRM and Yellowstone in late June.
Will also tour for Wildlife Sightseeing with Kids and their Grandma....so, it's that limited sightseeing...high probability from side of the road.

Budget for Bino mostly likely under $300 or less, with a high probability of using again after some years trying to pay for that vacation.

Open for suggestions...still watching YouTube on understanding binos.
Thanks and Have a Great Day
A tad bit over $300 but Maven C.1.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk