325 WSM

Jim2914

FNG
Hello
looking at a Browning 325 WSM. The guy has two 1 in A Bolt SS and 1 in the A Bolt Ti titanium model.
to me they both have the same barrels. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or is this a dead caliber?

ldmay375

FNG
Hello
looking at a Browning 325 WSM. The guy has two 1 in A Bolt SS and 1 in the A Bolt Ti titanium model.
to me they both have the same barrels. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or is this a dead caliber?
I don’t have an experience with that particular rifle. Nor actual personal experiences with killing stuff with the cartridge.

But, I do have 3ea rifles in the 325 WSM. Two Kimber Montana’s and a New Haven M70 Classic stainless. To me the Kimbers grouped very well at 100 yds. This was with DoubleTap 200 grain TSX. I have not shot the M70 yet.
I like the cartridge and have sufficient brass and 200 grain TSX’s for it.
I am having one of the Kimber’s barrel cut to 22”.
I know one person that has killed moose and grizzly with his 325. He thinks very highly of it.

I think it is a good cartridge, but a niche cartridge. If you like the WSM type cartridges and 8mm’s it fits that niche.
I would never expect an 8mm to set the world on fire as to sells in North America.
Many compare it to the 338 Winchester and 300’s. I prefer to consider it’s own merits. A .323 diameter, 200 grain bullet at 2800-2950 fps is pretty respectable for larger game at 300 or so yards. Like many other cartridges.

ldmay375

FNG
M70, 325 WSM, New Haven stainless Classic, Bell & Carlson stock, 1.5-6x42mm.
I think, I am going to like this rifle.
The stock is a 1 piece bottom metal short action stock, which the forend is an 1” plus shorter than the WSM 2-piece bottom metal stock. The barrel may or may not be cut to 22”.
D3090F29-4B37-4923-99D3-8CFA429E32EB.jpegFAF8EEA9-B4EA-4429-8CAA-F5FE3D97B9A0.jpeg

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the caliber other than knowing in the five years I've worked at a firearm/ammo retailer, I've seen 325 WSM ammo come in maybe once or twice, and that was before the world went haywire. And what little quantity came in, sold out fast.

I was impressed with the cartridge specs, but not impressed with the price per box!

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
My buddy has one that he swears he loves. It was his brothers rifle and has sentimental value which I totally understand but he’s scared to admit that he’s afraid of the recoil. He had a family friend who was “really good at reloading” work up a load. It was a 150 grain bullet, I forget what bullet and velocity. 100% unnecessary for Georgia white tails. But regardless a 150 grain bullet in that caliber never seemed to make sense in my head. I was with him when he shot a deer with it. At maybe 50 yards out of a tree stand he flinched so bad he hit the deer in the ass cheek. After finding it I had to finish the deer off with a knife cause it was almost midnight, next to the neighbors cow pasture, etc. I told him to stop hunting with it and stick to his 30-30. Later confirmed it was in fact still sighted in. Recoil isn’t that bad to me, would probably be worse with heavier bullets. A new caliber is always cool to have, send it. My buddy isn’t a good example, just a dumb redneck who makes for good stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jim2914

FNG
So do I go 1000 for the A bolt ss or 1400 for the titanium

Jimss

WKR
I use a 300 WSM and love it. Not sure about a 325? Your shoulder may tell you which one you want? My 300 WSM hardly kicks, shoots tight groups, and....knock on wood I only need 1 shell in my rifle. I know when I pull the trigger the critter is going to drop and not need another shell!

I'm sure you already know what species you hunt the most. I've had great luck with my 300 WSM for antelope, whitetails, muleys, bear, mtn goats, sheep, and elk. If I was considering Africa I'd probably consider something bigger but for most N Amer species 300 pretty much is good for all of them.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately the 325WSM isn’t as popular as I think it should be. It has great ballistics, and is a very capable round, but as others have stated, ammo is hard to find and expensive. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

ldmay375

FNG
Unfortunately the 325WSM isn’t as popular as I think it should be. It has great ballistics, and is a very capable round, but as others have stated, ammo is hard to find and expensive. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
I agree that it should be more popular. Not being a long range guy, trajectory wise it is fine by me with the bullets of .400 bc and slightly above.

I have added another 325 WSM since I commented on this thread earlier. A New Haven stainless Supergrade in a fiberglass stock that I could not pass up. This will be definitely cut to between 22-22.5". Prior owner had shark gill porting added to the barrel. That is going to be deleted.