338 win mag or 375 Ruger?

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of having a custom rifle built. The original plan for the rifle is a two barrel take down rifle and was going to be chambered in 270 weatherby as well as 338 win mag but recently I've been torn between the 338 win mag and the 375 ruger. Not that I really plan to hunt Africa in the next 10-15 years and who knows if I ever will but having a rifle capable of it would be nice I dont reload yet but will in the future and factory ammo for both seem to be around the same price as well as availability. The reason for the 338 win may originally is because I own one already and would be able to use the ammo I currently have for the new rifle but I also only have about 12 rounds of it left and only two boxes of brass anyways so it wouldnt be a put out to go 375 Ruger. There isn't a whole lot out there comparing the two and figured I'd ask for some others opinions on the two. The main reason for the custom build is because I am left handed and all my rifles are right handed hasnt been an issue but I wanted to down size the collection as well as have a high quality rifle actually built to me. Most of my hunting is here in the west I live in eastern washington and the majority of my shots are between 200 and 500 yards my buck last year was 410 my bear this year was 280. I plan to hunt alaska and canada in the future as well as other states out west here. So any hands on experience with the two or credible information to point one way or the other will be greatly appreciated.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
i have very limited hands on knowledge about either but i've taken one game animal with each. The 375 was MUCH more pleasant to shoot than the 338 WinMag.
To be fair, due to some TBI related issues I have an aversion to brakes (but LOVE suppressors!) ,
After a recent event involving a poorly behaved water buffalo im looking for a larger caliber rifle. I am looking hard at 375 H&H or 375 Ruger and not even considering 338 Win Mag.

Bluesky

FNG
I really like my .338wm. And with a muzzle break the recoil is substantially less than the the 3006 when I shot them side by side. The problem is finding any factory ammo anywhere. It's a unicorn to find a single box. And when you do it's usually well over 100$. I live in AK, and it's rare. If you reload, it's a little better.

Scottf270

WKR
Im a lefty also and have both cartridges. I have taken an elk and two A-Y moose with the .338 Win Mag and two A-Y moose and a Kodiak bear with the .375 Ruger. I like them both.

I look at it this way. The .375 is a left hand Ruger with a 20" barrel. I consider it my short range thumper. It handles in brush and hits like a freight train. While it could reach out there, in the short barreled rifle it has its purpose.

The .338 mag is a left hand Browning with a 26" barrel. I consider it my "reach out and touch something" rifle. It's not as handy in brush but can still hit with authority.

Either cartridge would be fine for the same game and they do overlap a bit. But for me they serve specific needs based on the rifle they are in.

You could just keep the .338 rifle and still make the custom gun in .375 with a different barrel length or sight set up.

OP
W

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I should have added that in either route taken will be chambered behind a 24" #4 contour barrel with a break and milled in iron sights. If I do go 375 I may see if we can just cut the barrel down to 22". As stated I do have to agree that my 338 kicks way less than my 06 and doesnt even have a break at all I find the 338 very mild mannered in the rifle I have a custom rifle on a ruger 77 action glasses stock and bedded. I would keep the 338 and do as suggested but I will be getting my great uncles 300 weatherby and it will be my backup rifle to this rifle as it as well is right handed but a superb shooter. The 338 and 270 weatherby will be being sold basically to pay for the custom rifle along with a few others just to downsize. I plan to use the 270 weatherby barrel for deer, pronghorn and the likes and the 338 or 375 for bear elk moose ect ect. It's interesting to hear that 338 is so rare up there as well as expensive I can wonder down to any of my local stores here and pick up a box for around 70-80 depending and right around 80 for the 375 ruger.

TaperPin

WKR
Everyone should own a 375 at least once.

375 H&H recoil is noticeably more than the 338 in similar weight rifles. 375 Ruger would be a noticeable increase over the H&H, not a lot more, but you would notice it.

For North America, you don’t need a 375, but if you end up fishing in grizzly or brown bear country it’s nice to have.

Along the same lines, if you haven’t owned a 338 that’s a nice shooting round as well. I upgraded from 338 to 340 Weatherby and thought recoil was very similar between it and the 375.

These medium bore calibers are fun to look at, fun to shoot and every friend of yours will have a big smile on their face after touching off a few. 🙂

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you get more and better bullet options in the .338 WM. The .375 brings more bore diameter and mass to the table. Bore size by itself doesn't really excite me, so if I'm gonna be shooting "normal" 200-250 grain bullets anyway, I like the choices you get with .338 more.

ldmay375

FNG
I like both cartridges and have a rifle or two in each. I have used both for moose hunting and zero complaints about either. I use monolithic bullets in both, 225's in the 338 Winchester and 270's in the 375 Ruger. My shots are under 250 yards. I have used the 375 Ruger more since buying the first one. That purchase was not long after it's introduction. Whether it matters or not, I prefer the 375 Ruger in my hunting terrain.

I have rifles in both of various barrel lengths. I like 22-24" in the 338 Winchester and 20-22" in the 375 Ruger. I have "favorite" rifles in both. The 20" 375 Ruger chronographs a 270 grain Barnes LRX hand loads at ~2725 fps. For most of my moose hunting a 20" 375 Ruger has taken over the 338 Winchester position.

Prior to this covid bs, there were ample varieties of 338 Winchester on shelves. I am seeing a few boxes beginning to show up locally.

Jmort1754

WKR
I feel that my 8lb 375 HH is more pleasant than my 8 lb 300 win. Might have to do with the velocity of recoil.
Snap vs push to me.

OP
W

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I believe when the time comes the 375 ruger will be the route I go. I'm currently starting another project on my own it's an older savage 110 dl in 270 but the barrel has some damage inside it was a 200.00 pawnshop find from 10 years ago that I'm going to turn into a 35 whelen looking to go with a McGowan barrel in #5a contour 22" 1-12 with their threaded muzzle break. I just have to locate a better left hand stock for it to live in or reem out the original to fit the barrel. Any recommendations for a laminate or wood left hand stock for this 35 whelen?

Well I can tell you this I had a 338 win and have 375 H&H ......sold my 338 win mag (mistake)
Absolutely love my 375 H&H. I have used on pigs to moose. Is it a lot of gun, yes it is. But I can load it way up or way down. To me that's a win and one of its biggest benefits. The same can be done with the 375 Ruger.

Not sure where all these 8# 375s are at but mine fully loaded, scoped, with sling comes in it 10.5#. Some might think that's to heavy, but I do not. I've carried that rifle a lot and it's extremely quick to shoulder and steady in the wind.

It's a 21" barrel. I have no trouble getting 270gr bullets to 2700 fps. It's just works for everything. These days I would rather one gun I know can do everything thing with one load!

Choupique

WKR
Faced with the same decision, I went with. 338 win mag. No regrets, this is going to be my forever caliber as long as i can shoot it. Recoil is stout, but noticeably less than my light 375 was. If I ever get a chance to go to Africa, I'll get a .458 win mag for the occasion. Otherwise, I've got a rifle to shoot everything from bobcats to bison in the continental US in a rifle that I really like. When I get invited to go shoot goofy stuff on work trips, I can bring the same rifle I tote around all the time for everything.

That said, 375 ruger is the coolest and most sensible new caliber to come out in the past 20 years in my opinion. 375 h&h external ballistics from a .30-06 sized action. That's pretty much the perfect sauce for killing whatever you want to kill anywhere in the world. Those ruger guide rifles are also excessively cool and the whole package is super great.

OP
W

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I probably wont sell my 338 unless it's to a close friend but itll also be 14-18 months till my new rifle is finished which is why I'm starting this 35 whelen project.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well I can tell you this I had a 338 win and have 375 H&H ......sold my 338 win mag (mistake)
Absolutely love my 375 H&H. I have used on pigs to moose. Is it a lot of gun, yes it is. But I can load it way up or way down. To me that's a win and one of its biggest benefits. The same can be done with the 375 Ruger.

Not sure where all these 8# 375s are at but mine fully loaded, scoped, with sling comes in it 10.5#. Some might think that's to heavy, but I do not. I've carried that rifle a lot and it's extremely quick to shoulder and steady in the wind.

It's a 21" barrel. I have no trouble getting 270gr bullets to 2700 fps. It's just works for everything. These days I would rather one gun I know can do everything thing with one load!
I’ve got a sub 8lb 375HH that’s awesome to shoot.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth between 338 and 375 H & H when looking for a new rifle to complement my 45-70, and ultimately went with a Ruger M77 338, which I love, but still intrigued by 375 as a caliber. Not familiar with the Ruger 375. How easy is it to obtain ammo and/or components?

OP
W

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Probably depends on where you live but here in the northwest it's pretty easy sportsmans seems to have it regularly