338 Build

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
My grandpa gave me his 338 Win Mag, it is a pretty Model 70 super grade. From a nostalgia standpoint I want to shoot the round, but I don’t like the idea of taking that gun on a week long elk hunt or into the backcountry etc. I decided to have a rifle I wasn’t using made into a 338 win mag stainless and custom stock. Am I making a mistake with this cartridge, and should I throw nostalgia aside and get something else? Thoughts? ( I reload so not terribly worried about components yet).

Stonia

FNG
I love the 338wm cartidge, but it's getting extremely hard to find factory loaded ammo. That said, I really like my Ruger Hawkeyes. The African 338 is sub moa. I picked up an Alaskan in 338 as well and it also shoots lights out. The Rugers are seriously under-rated imo.

I get the urge to build a sweet custom rifle, I fight it daily myself and fall back on the excuse "it's not worth the expense when factory rifles have come so far." At least to me, anyway.

Edit: sorry, I completely misread the OP. Yes, 338 is a great round!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My grandpa gave me his 338 Win Mag, it is a pretty Model 70 super grade. From a nostalgia standpoint I want to shoot the round, but I don’t like the idea of taking that gun on a week long elk hunt or into the backcountry etc. I decided to have a rifle I wasn’t using made into a 338 win mag stainless and custom stock. Am I making a mistake with this cartridge, and should I throw nostalgia aside and get something else? Thoughts? ( I reload so not terribly worried about components yet).

Would your grandfather rather you use the rifle and make memories, or for his gift to sit in a safe and have no personal value or memories tied to it?

OP
coyote_out

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Would your grandfather rather you use the rifle and make memories, or for his gift to sit in a safe and have no personal value or memories tied to it?
Agreed, I have wrestled with this back and forth as well. I do take it out, just isn’t my daily driver.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with you statements and the above. I wouldn't want to take it on a back country elk hunt but I'd want to find a way to hunt with it when possible.

I'm building a 338 RUM now. I think the WM will do you great unless you want to shoot heavy / high BC bullets then it will work but may leave you wanting for more.

prm

WKR
One of my rifles has a wood stock made from wood my grandfather cut to make his own stock. Whatever weight penalty or consideration for specific cartridges is more than made up for by the good feeling I have thinking a part of him is with me. I recently took another rifle on a hunt, and I was disappointed. I could sell every other rifle and just hunt with the one and that would be the most rewarding or satisfying.
<< that rifle.

LightFoot

WKR
I think you should hunt with it. When my dad passed, my brother got his M70 FWT (wood-stocked) 30-06. It had years of whitetail woods prominently illustrated on its stock and blued metal. It stayed dirty. My brother added to it with his own kind of savagery, throwing it in the boat to hog hunt the river. When my brother passed, I became the new owner and I cannot imagine not adding my own marks to it.

Again, hunt with it. That’s what it was made for.

Also, the 338 is great for everything from deer to grizzly. Ammo is becoming more available. I like the 185 TTSX and 210 Partition.

&gt;&gt;&gt;——JAKE——&gt;

Last edited:

Alaska92

FNG
Without question, I would certainly hunt with it. I can only imagine that your grandpa would want you to enjoy the use of his gift and create your own memories with it. The .338 Win. Mag. has a handful of good attributes and to keep it real, a few not so good. I have used and continue to use that round a fair amount here in Alaska. One of my rifles chambered in that round is wood/blued. I have packed it all around Alaska including extended fly-in backpack hunts. When I hear or see people mention that a wood/blued rifle is no good for use in inclement elements, I just grin.

Wrench

WKR
I'd buy a quality stock, scope and a can of oil before I bought a second 338.

Think 30-06 trajectory with a lot more of everything on the receiving end. 338's tend to be quite accurate as well.

Keep the original stock and set it up with an aftermarket synthetic stock of your choice. Then go use it. Swap the original stock whenever you like.

leachguy

FNG
My dad has a 338 Supergrade I'm hoping to inherit some day. It's the gun that made me biased to Winchesters. If I'm lucky enough to end up with it I will hunt with it as is, even if it would make him roll over in his grave scratching the bluing.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love the 338 winmag took this guy this year with mine some say they kick a lot but I dont find it to be upsetting by any means I was able to shoot that bear and watch him drop in his tracks and disappear as he fell in the grass through the scope at 280 give or take a yard as I ranged it. I understand both aspects of wanting to hunt with it as well as not so I'm no help there but personally I would build the new stainless rifle and still hunt with the 70. If you end up somewhere salty and super wet take the stainless otherwise use the 70 and down the road if you have kids that want to hunt you can pass it down again and still not be out a 338 because you will have your stainless who knows your kid might want that one instead.