.338 wm issues with 230 gr ELD-X’s

I picked up a barreled action Tikka in .338 wm, put it in a t3x stock, added some aftermarket parts, got it braked, and finally at the load development stage.

I’ve been having great luck with 143 ELD-x in some other guns, so decided to try the 230 gr eld-x for the .338.

Thus far I’ve tried H4350, RL19, and H4831sc. Performed a 10 round ladder test to find a node, loaded up some rounds and group tested them at various seating depths. So far the only promising powder is H4831sc. Gave me a 1” 4 shot group at 100, and that was just rounds seated to fit the mag. I’ll test more of those with various seating depths to see if they’ll work. Moving pretty slow at 2700 FPS with 73.8 grains, but that’s what I got. H4350 gave me great speeds, but never got a good group with it.

Anybody got any tips? I have some 225 Accubonds I’ll try next week. Might as well start looking at other bullets before I waste more money and time.

Anyone try the Berger 250 grainers out of a .338 win mag? I’m looking at those and Barnes TTSX as well.

I’m restricted in mag length with the Tikka, but if I find something that shoots great and needs a longer mag, I’ll get an aftermarket DBM so not worried about that yet.

If anyone has some .338 bullets in the 225-250 grain variety to test, I’ll buy some. Just throwing it out there. Berger or Barnes specifically. Thanks, and if you have good luck with the 230 eld-x in a .338 wm, I’m all ears. I have three boxes of them, but if I keep running into bad groups, I guess I’ll be selling them for either more 225 accubonds or some TTSX and/or Berger 250’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
I don't have any load work up for the .338 just a .30. But I'm with you, I've heard great things about these ELD-Xs. My brothers 308 loves them. I have all but thrown the kitchen sink at load development with these things and can't get them to fly. My rifle took a preference to the accubonds, in a close second was barnes TTSX. My dad has a Tikka T3x superlite in 300 WM. He hasn't shot over 100 yds but maybe once in his life. He bought the rifle, sighted it in and took it to a class (200-750 yds). He was ringing steel with the Barnes TTSX factory ammo at 750 yds.

OP
F
I don't have any load work up for the .338 just a .30. But I'm with you, I've heard great things about these ELD-Xs. My brothers 308 loves them. I have all but thrown the kitchen sink at load development with these things and can't get them to fly. My rifle took a preference to the accubonds, in a close second was barnes TTSX. My dad has a Tikka T3x superlite in 300 WM. He hasn't shot over 100 yds but maybe once in his life. He bought the rifle, sighted it in and took it to a class (200-750 yds). He was ringing steel with the Barnes TTSX factory ammo at 750 yds.

Good to know I’m not the only struggling with these I guess.
I do use the 143 ELD-X in my competition gun. Used those to win the last two local PRS style matches with all shots from 300-1100. They work great in my 6.5, but I’m about over them in the .338. I have one last shot at trying seating depths with H4831sc, then if that doesn’t help I’ll be trying 225 Accubonds next.

I have almost a full box of Barnes .338 cal 250 gr. TSX flat base I can send you if you want to give them a try. My Rem 700 wouldn't shoot them worth a dang so I'm using the 250 gr. Nosler Partition bullets which the .338 loves. Nothing against Barnes bullets, my .375 Ruger loves the Barnes 270 gr. TSX bullets and shoots like a varmint rifle with them. I also have several other rifles that prefer Barnes bullets. If you want to give these a try, send me a PM with your mailing address and see about shipping them to you. I think there is 47 bullets in this box. I really have no use for them since my 700 doesn't like them.

OP
F
I have almost a full box of Barnes .338 cal 250 gr. TSX flat base I can send you if you want to give them a try. My Rem 700 wouldn't shoot them worth a dang so I'm using the 250 gr. Nosler Partition bullets which the .338 loves. Nothing against Barnes bullets, my .375 Ruger loves the Barnes 270 gr. TSX bullets and shoots like a varmint rifle with them. I also have several other rifles that prefer Barnes bullets. If you want to give these a try, send me a PM with your mailing address and see about shipping them to you. I think there is 47 bullets in this box. I really have no use for them since my 700 doesn't like them.

That’s mighty nice of you. I’ll give them a shot. Good to have some other options to test as I think I’m moving on from the 230 ELD-X. I’ll try those and some 225 Accubonds I have. Thanks.

No problem, I'll get them to you asap. Things up here have slowed down with the covid-19 scare. Probably ship within the next couple days.