340 Montana B tag

jakeaba

FNG
Good evening all,

I drew a mule deer doe tag for unit 340. I have been scouting on GOHUNT and dropping points I think look good, but wanted to run a question by you.

It looks like there is national forest and BLM land , any idea which gets more pressure? It looks pretty arid , so is it safe to assume they prefer water sources?

This is my first hunt for deer out west, from Washington originally but been stationed in Louisiana last couple years and decided deer stand hunting isn’t for me. Glad it got me going in this awesome activity but I prefer to be moving!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of private land on the east side. Trees on the north sides. Heavy sage brush. You will find water in the most amazing places. Look on google earth for the quakie patches. If you are early watch for snakes- a lot of them den up on the east side. Some of it is very steep with a lot of outcrops. A lot of interconnected mining roads. If you can drive them there will be a lot of vehicles on them. Take water it's a ways between them.

Get a FS map for travel and a set of chains. Have seen it short on snow even at thanksgiving. It will be an adventure.

Wapiti1

WKR
And you will see bighorns throughout the south half on the bald ridges, and goats if you get up toward Red and Table Mountains.

Deer are scattered all through the unit. The north half is timber with large parks, southern half is pretty open with long bald ridges. The forest service has decent roads, but the BLM is really rocky on the south and east.

McCartney is private, but in block management, so you can hunt it. Used to be just sign in boxes at the parking areas.

Finding a muley doe shouldn't be too difficult. Lots of road hunters from Butte.

Jeremy