.357 for Mountain Lion

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Which bullet would be best for mountain lion defense out of a 6" .357? 158 gr, hollow point or a 180 gr hard cast?

Rich M

WKR
They are neat critters but not real big or heavily built.

I'd use a 158 gr xtp fp bullet.

Or a 180 gr xtp.

I hunt with these 2 out of a rifle and they do the job very well with most deer and hogs DRT.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
They are neat critters but not real big or heavily built.

I'd use a 158 gr xtp fp bullet.

Or a 180 gr xtp.

I hunt with these 2 out of a rifle and they do the job very well with most deer and hogs DRT.
+1
AA.jpg

g.png

Wrench

WKR
Any. They're cats, not armadillos. If you can get one to not haul ass when it sees you.....I'd be surprised.

Wrench

WKR
Several. One of my buds is a houndsman who has killed several with a 357.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
Several. One of my buds is a houndsman who has killed several with a 357.
Yea i run hounds too......i thought you were actually worried about having a peace for defense. But yea a 357, 41, or 44 all work great. I actually shot my first lion with a 40 s&w, lol

16Bore

WKR
So if you see a mountain loin and if it decides to attack you and if you get the drop on him before he gets it on you and if you have the wherewithall to draw a pistol and if you have the ability to fire a round and if you’re able to hit it, you’re worried about the bullet weight?

Mmmmm OK.

So if you see a mountain loin and if it decides to attack you and if you get the drop on him before he gets it on you and if you have the wherewithall to draw a pistol and if you have the ability to fire a round and if you’re able to hit it, you’re worried about the bullet weight?

Mmmmm OK.

It reminds me of the guys who “typically hunt within 300 yards but I need a 300 RUM so if a big buck steps out on the last hour of the last day of the hunt at 800 yards across a canyon I want to be able to take the shot”

Tmac

WKR
HP’s are fine for lion, hard cast if you are concerned about bears. My buddy shot one off his foot with a 22 mag. Young inexperienced cat, head shot. If a young inexperienced cat comes for you, you have very good odds of getting a shot off. If it’s an experienced old one, I doubt you have much of a chance. Thankfully odds are you won’t ever see one.