3rd Axis setup. What do you do

Luked

WKR
I need to try and set my 3rd axis. How do you all do it?
I know they sell the Hamskea level setup but not sure I want to buy one no more than I would use it.

I remember drawing the bow and going up and down on something like the edge of a door.

What do you all do to set yours with out something like the Hamskea level.

Buy a cheap plastic level, cut It down and strap it to your riser somehow. Make sure the bubble on your riser level and sight level match at level ground. Then make a plumb bob and use your pin stack to follow the plumb bob string down and the levels should stay the same as you angle down. If riser level is in the middle and sight level is not, then 3rd is off.

I have the hamskea level I can send you if you want to use that.
I always just hop on the counter, draw, pivot down and line up the housing wire (Spot Hogg) with a straight line in my house. Then confirm in the field, or shooting from the roof or deer stand.

Bump79

WKR
It's easier with a multi pin. Get your first, second set. Then hang a plumb bob somewhere and stand close to it. Draw & aim up steep and level your pins to the string. See where you bubble is. Adjust 3rd axis & repeat till right.

dtrkyman

WKR
Assuming you have a good tune I have shot in my 3rd axis. Shoot long distance or up and down hill, keep track of impacts and adjust.

jbelz

FNG
I use the Hamskea 3rd Axis leveler (gen2). It's a bit of an investment, but as dtrkyman said, you can always shoot your third axis in. Would also be a good time to shoot in your cuts. Two birds and all

I have the Hamskea tool, and generally use it. However it doesn't always set your 3rd axis perfectly. You really need to shoot it in. It's a starting point that usually works, but the best way to be certain is to shoot it in after using it.

Vertical plumb line on a target, shoot steep uphill or downhill at 30-40 yards. Check your impact point versus your level. Any distance works, but closer than 30 you might not detect it, past 40 you might not shoot good enough to be positive. As far as you can reliably hit a 1" piece of tape is best distance in my take.

Beendare

WKR
Once sight is set [level with bow perfectly vertical]

I stand on a box in my garage next to a string hanging vertical and hold my bow at full draw on a 45 deg downward angle and adjust 3rd axis until that is level also.

I use the Hamskea 3rd Axis leveler (gen2). It's a bit of an investment, but as dtrkyman said, you can always shoot your third axis in. Would also be a good time to shoot in your cuts. Two birds and all
It is pricey but can be used for 1st and 2nd axis as well. I made the leap last year. It's a quality piece and should last a lifetime.

1- Make sure 2nd axis is level
2- Like above I run a plumb bob; hit full draw and, making sure you bend at the waist, follow the line down
3- Make adjustments to your 3rd axis
4- Recheck your 2nd axis; it likely won't be level
5- Repeat 3 & 4 until it's level at both angles

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
It is pricey but can be used for 1st and 2nd axis as well. I made the leap last year. It's a quality piece and should last a lifetime.

Is yours accurate? Mine is not. I don't put too much faith into a 2" level and it's decent enough. But it is not perfect on the flip test on the machined surface of another accurate level. Didn't realize until I checked it because I wanted to use it for scope mounting.

I don't know if I should try and get a replacement, or it's just what to expect. Neither the single vial or the 360° vial reads true.

Marshfly

WKR
100% shoot it in. The entire point is to dial that axis so that your bow shoots the same on level ground and on an incline. The only way to do that perfectly is to actually shoot it and adjust.

You can do all of the tuning with levels in the shop you want but until you shoot the bow at different angles and distances you really don't know what's going on.

Is yours accurate? Mine is not. I don't put too much faith into a 2" level and it's decent enough. But it is not perfect on the flip test on the machined surface of another accurate level. Didn't realize until I checked it because I wanted to use it for scope mounting.

I don't know if I should try and get a replacement, or it's just what to expect. Neither the single vial or the 360° vial reads true.
I have checked it against other levels and its pretty close. The bubble level is not as good. I have a 6" that I use and several rifle scope leveling pcs that I use as well.