3rd Rifle Flattops Strategy

I'll be drop camped in the Flat Tops, unit 24 for third rifle. First time elk hunter. How long do you folks glass an area before moving on under late season conditions?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would move as soon as I glass 10 hunters. Shoulnt take more than an hour per spot.
An hour? You must be pretty deep in the wilderness in some honey hole. 6 years ago I did that in 15 minutes. Luckily there was another hunter that set up 50 yards from me so if any elk came out he had it covered. I moved on and haven’t been back since!

Azone

WKR
Think more along the lines of where elk are gonna escape to after several volleys of rifle fire happen. I’ve had hunters bump elk to me and I’ve had hunters completely ruin everything in that country. There is no pumpkin patch quite like the Flat Tops, good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Enjoy camp! Ha ha. I live close by and would not want to be out there in 3rd ... better than not hunting though!!! Good luck

eamyrick

WKR
I was just up there for Bear season with FTMG. There were definitely a fair amount of Elk Hunters but there was also some elk.

southLA

WKR
Realize that your chances of getting shot are higher than the chances of you shooting an elk.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Someone should post a picture of one of those GIANT outfitter camps up there. You'd think someone was hosting a wedding reception or something as big as they are.
Not just outfitters! I was up in 27 one year and there was a group of 5th wheels that reminded me of a John Wayne western where they circled the wagons. They must have had 1.5 cords of fire wood stacked up. I’ve never seen anything like it!!!