3rd Row SUV Experiences

I did a search and didn’t find anything pertaining to the family grocery getters, so I figured I’d ask. We currently have a CR-V that’s great, but we are needing more cargo space after having a kid and getting a second lab. We are undecided on new or pre owned, probably depending on what we can get out of the CR-V. Our main criteria is reliability and cargo space, but not wanting the full size Tahoe/suburban class. What are your thoughts? I’ve been looking at highlanders, Chevy traverse (v6 and the new turbo 4 cylinder, curious on longevity of either?), used Audi q7 (unsure of increased maintenance cost) and Honda pilot. Open to other options and hoping to hear some first hand experiences. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
I did a search and didn’t find anything pertaining to the family grocery getters, so I figured I’d ask. We currently have a CR-V that’s great, but we are needing more cargo space after having a kid and getting a second lab. We are undecided on new or pre owned, probably depending on what we can get out of the CR-V. Our main criteria is reliability and cargo space. What are your thoughts? I’ve been looking at highlanders, Chevy traverse (v6 and the new turbo 4 cylinder, curious on longevity of either?), used Audi q7 (unsure of increased maintenance cost) and Honda pilot. Open to other options and hoping to hear some first hand experiences. Thanks!

I wouldn't buy any SUV made by General Motors right now. I also wouldn't buy anything Audi unless you plan on having it gone before warranty expires or 100k miles. Toyota, Nissan and Even the Fors Expeditions seem to be very reliable vehicles with 3rd row seats.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
We bought a 2014 Acadia in 2015 with 21,000 miles on it. Just sold it 2 months ago with 240,000 on it. A battery and couple power steering lines is all we ever did. Great vehicle. We out grew it. Bought a Yukon XL.

OP
beerbucksducks
I wouldn't buy any SUV made by General Motors right now. I also wouldn't buy anything Audi unless you plan on having it gone before warranty expires or 100k miles. Toyota, Nissan and Even the Fors Expeditions seem to be very reliable vehicles with 3rd row seats.

Did you own GM or Audi that proved unreliable? Or on the flip side, a Nissan that’s been great?

OP
beerbucksducks
We bought a 2014 Acadia in 2015 with 21,000 miles on it. Just sold it 2 months ago with 240,000 on it. A battery and couple power steering lines is all we ever did. Great vehicle. We out grew it. Bought a Yukon XL.

Thanks for the input! Assuming that was the 3.6L v6 in your Acadia?

Had a 2016 traverse, hated it, love the 2017 suburban that replaced it. In my area, suburbans/Yukon XLs outnumber the expedition max by at least 5 to 1 for families with 2+ kids and/or large dogs. When it comes to real full size suvs those are the only 3 options that give you 3 rows of seats and still have cargo room.

I prefer a minivan to the smaller 3 row suvs, much easier for kids to get in and out, and easier to deal with car seats.

Take your jogging stroller, or better yet borrow a double jogging stroller and take that with you when you're shopping. That cargo space disappears real quick, but only you know what you actually need.

grfox92

WKR
Did you own GM or Audi that proved unreliable? Or on the flip side, a Nissan that’s been great?

No, but the data is out there. Go look at the reviews and reliability ratings. I only buy proven reliable vehicles. I don't test them out on myself.

colby12

WKR
Had a 2017 Acadia. Awesome little SUV but adding the third kid and a need for storage we changed vehicles. My wife found an older QX80 that’s been decent but on the bigger side. All the small SUVs we looked during that time seemed the third row was a compromise to storage. Seats down you had storage, seats up you could fit a suitcase and a diaper bag.

OP
beerbucksducks
No, but the data is out there. Go look at the reviews and reliability ratings. I only buy proven reliable vehicles. I don't test them out on myself.

Thanks, I’m not trying to call you out or anything. I’m just trying to weigh real experiences against the tests and reviews. I do appreciate the input!

blkqi

WKR
Had a Highlander and never made use of the third row; it cuts into storage space too much. Worked fine for two kids and two labs if you have a cargo topper.

When we had our third kid we got a Sienna.

You didn't specify why you want a "3rd row" suv. You mentioned a kid and a lab. Is the 3rd row going to be laid down and utilized for cargo space or do you need the 3rd row upright to sight in and want cargo space behind the 3rd row?

If the latter where the 3rd row will be utilized for seating, unless you go full size SUV (Yukon XL, Suburban, Expedition Max) there is limited to no cargo space behind the 3rd row in anything but the above mentioned vehicles.

If the 3rd row will always be laid down and utilized for cargo space there are lots of options. I would personally focus on options where the 3rd row lays completely flat into the floor to make the cargo hold one entire flat surface. Some will have seats that fold forward against the 2nd row which robs you of cargo space.

My opinion when it comes to mId-size suv brand reliability would be:

Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche and Volvo. .......... and maybe, just maybe Ford.

Cheaper options would be Kia, Hyundai, Subaru (some of which are also not as spacious as the above)

OP
beerbucksducks
You didn't specify why you want a "3rd row" suv. You mentioned a kid and a lab. Is the 3rd row going to be laid down and utilized for cargo space or do you need the 3rd row upright to sight in and want cargo space behind the 3rd row?

If the latter where the 3rd row will be utilized for seating, unless you go full size SUV (Yukon XL, Suburban, Expedition Max) there is limited to no cargo space behind the 3rd row in anything but the above mentioned vehicles.

If the 3rd row will always be laid down and utilized for cargo space there are lots of options. I would personally focus on options where the 3rd row lays completely flat into the floor to make the cargo hold one entire flat surface. Some will have seats that fold forward against the 2nd row which robs you of cargo space.

My opinion when it comes to mId-size suv brand reliability would be:

Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche and Volvo. .......... and maybe, just maybe Ford.

Cheaper options would be Kia, Hyundai, Subaru (some of which are also not as spacious as the above)

The 3rd row would be folded down for cargo space almost all the time.

cjdewese

WKR
I have a 2002, 1st gen sequoia that I like a lot. Tons of storage/room and can still be found fairly cheap. The footprint isn't much bigger than my 2017 4runer but has a lot more space in it. 3rd row can be taken out and the cargo area is massive.

I have 192k on mine and its been awesome with no issues outside of general maintenance.

Wife had a 2009 Buick Enclave that we drove to 180k miles then gave to my son and his wife. They are still driving it with over 200k on it with minimal issues. Obviously brakes and some other wear items but nothing major.

Wife upgraded to a 2022 Subaru Ascent which is their 3rd row SUV and we love it. 4 cylinder turbo with good power and gets 25 mpg on the highway and has the great Subaru all wheel drive system

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer a minivan to the smaller 3 row suvs, much easier for kids to get in and out, and easier to deal with car seats.
During the kids in carseats years (3 at once) a minivan truly was where its at, SO much easier to load them in (you gotta crawl in too to get them strapped in) and quite a bit of storage space actually if its the stow type seating (that leaves a huge hidden compartment when the seats aren't stowed that you can load up) and moderate hatch space too.

Past that era now and one of the rigs is an expedition non-max, as noted there is minimal space behind that seat when the full 3rd row is up. A common setup for travels in that one is having the 60% portion of the 3rd row flat and 40% of the 3rd row as a seat. One kid in the back and 2 in the middle with storage space on the 60% side. A max would have been better but doesn't fit the garage (and uglier too so there is that).

ANYWAYS for the OP think ahead on family planning, if there are more kids in your future.

My wife drives a 22 Highlander and I love the car. I’m 6’8” and can comfortably drive with a car seat behind me. Two kids in seats and the captains chairs are great. The third row is small, wouldn’t want to take a long road trip with an adult sitting there. But to and from the airport or short trips it works well.

ColeyG

WKR
Check out the new Grand Highlanders. We just ordered a hybrid GH after ridding ourselves of the curse that was the Audi Q7. Stay away from anything Audi makes unless you enjoy throwing large sums of money away and having your car in the shop for months at a time. What a nightmare that was.