4-6 person backpacking tent options

Hi everyone! My wife and I are planning to take our kids (4 and 1.5 years old) on a backpacking/camping trip later this summer and I'm looking for some tent recommendations. I'd like something big enough to hang out in, in case bugs or weather are bad, but also small and light enough to hike in a few miles and to fly with.

My wife also wants it to not be floorless but I think it would be ideal if it had a removable floor/bug liner.

Also, please let me know if you have any other tips for doing a backpacking trip with littles. We're planning to hike in 1-3 miles and take as long as we need, stay 1-2 nights then hike out. Nothing too ambitious.

TIA!

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi everyone! My wife and I are planning to take our kids (4 and 1.5 years old) on a backpacking/camping trip later this summer and I'm looking for some tent recommendations. I'd like something big enough to hang out in, in case bugs or weather are bad, but also small and light enough to hike in a few miles and to fly with.

My wife also wants it to not be floorless but I think it would be ideal if it had a removable floor/bug liner.

Also, please let me know if you have any other tips for doing a backpacking trip with littles. We're planning to hike in 1-3 miles and take as long as we need, stay 1-2 nights then hike out. Nothing too ambitious.

TIA!
Backpacking with 2 kids...respect for that! I use our Absaroka tent/insert for my wife and our 2 young kids all the time. It has enough space to sleep and hang out in, but if you had bad weather you might want a tarp for packs and other gear. Would be crowded in there with 4 people and all your gear and packs. Not trying to sell you one of our tents, but just letting you know that size works for us for backpacking. Good luck!

OP
T
Backpacking with 2 kids...respect for that! I use our Absaroka tent/insert for my wife and our 2 young kids all the time. It has enough space to sleep and hang out in, but if you had bad weather you might want a tarp for packs and other gear. Would be crowded in there with 4 people and all your gear and packs. Not trying to sell you one of our tents, but just letting you know that size works for us for backpacking. Good luck!
Thank you! I'll check them out! That's a good idea. I have an ultralight 10' square tarp I can plan to bring.

Legend

WKR
Take a look at the copper spur ul4. This is what I used with 3 kids. It had the most sq ft and pretty darn light. This was ten years ago so not sure what else is available.

We did out grow that tent. Then I just added my bivy sack and slept right outside.

Enjoy it!

A light 4-6 person backpacking tent is not easy to find.. There are however a decent number of "3" person tents out there, that are basically roomy 2 person tents. One of those could easy fit your wife and kids. And you would bring a solo tent. Or you could get 2x 2 person tents and you and your wife would each house one of the kids.

Hilleberg makes some very nice multi-person tents but they are completely overkill for a summer backpacking trip lol. Plus, the expedition style tents are very expensive.