Getting a new tent

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Sold my heavy wall tent trying to get something a little more mobile. Not looking for a back pack tent but something I could put on my pack and hike away from the trail head .5 mile to 1 mile so maybe 25-40 lb tent. I am really looking for opinions on the woods 4 person 4 season tent and the cabelas alaskan guides series 4,6 or even 8 person tent. They all seem like good options and have pretty decent reviews other places. Just wanted some opinions here. If you know of any others that would serve the same purpose, please share. I would like a floor in it so I have ruled out most tipis. The woods tent is my lowest priced option at 191.00 on sale right now. The Alaskan Guide is on promo for 299-349 right now for price reference.

JohnIrish

FNG
Ellis Canvas tents are good quality... I use mine for car camping. You may want to check them out. I have a 12x12 Prairie tent with a Stove Jack. Lightweight canvas. Biggest disadvantage is the price! I can set it up in about 5 minutes so I like that.

OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! You aren’t kidding about the price. I sold my canvas tent too cheap!

Rokwiia

WKR
The Alaskan Guide is on promo for 299-349 right now for price reference.
Maybe it was on promo yesterday when you authored this post but I just went to Cabela's website today and they are now selling at full retail unless you're talking about the Instinct line. The latter uses aluminum poles making that line of tents more expensive.

I've had an Alaskan Guide tent and they are fabulous tents in terms of protection and space. I would not want to carry one for even .5 mile. They would be clumsy and bulky to carry in, or lash to, a backpack, in my opinion. You'd need to have two people or two take trips to effectively do so, IMO.

I believe the 6-person tent height is 6'1" in the center while the 4-person tent is 5' and a few inches. The 8-person tent has plenty of room to stand up in the center of the 8-person tent unless you're exceptionally tall.

Good luck with your choice and the Alaskan Guide tents are fantastic. Only you can decide whether that includes packing them to your site.

Last edited:

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if this will fit your needs, it says three man with cots, but it looks like it’s packable.

Attachments

• IMG_7205.png
    IMG_7205.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7206.png
    IMG_7206.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 56
OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it was on promo yesterday when you authored this post but I just went to Cabela's website today and they are now selling at full retail unless you're talking about the Instinct line. The latter uses aluminum poles making that line of tents more expensive.

I've had an Alaskan Guide tent and they are fabulous tents in terms of protection and space. I would not want to carry one for even .5 mile. They would be clumsy and bulky to carry in, or lash to, a backpack, in my opinion. You'd need to have two people or two take trips to effectively do so, IMO.

I believe the 6-person tent height is 6'1" in the center while the 4-person tent is 5' and a few inches. The 8-person tent has plenty of room to stand up in the center of the 8-person tent unless you're exceptionally tall.

Good luck with your choice and the Alaskan Guide tents are fantastic. Only you can decide whether that includes packing them to your site.
I believe the promo is offered if you get their credit card. That is what I was referring to I guess.

Do you want a floored tent because you want a floor, or more to keep out the creepy crawlies? I ask because, you can buy floors for floorless shelters.

I've spent a lot of time in the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent with the fiberglass poles. It's a nice tent. Pretty stout / wind worthy. Heavy AF. I've put a Buddy Heater in it with a small fan and it takes the chill off pretty well. It would be a solid choice if you're never going to put a wood burning stove in it.

For all that weight though I think I'd prefer a tipi and a stove. Add a floor if you'd like.

OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Do you want a floored tent because you want a floor, or more to keep out the creepy crawlies? I ask because, you can buy floors for floorless shelters.

I've spent a lot of time in the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent with the fiberglass poles. It's a nice tent. Pretty stout / wind worthy. Heavy AF. I've put a Buddy Heater in it with a small fan and it takes the chill off pretty well. It would be a solid choice if you're never going to put a wood burning stove in it.

For all that weight though I think I'd prefer a tipi and a stove. Add a floor if you'd like.
Floor for the critters for sure. Actually found a tipi with a floor on sportmans guide that has a floor and option for stove. I don’t own a stove but thought about getting a small one if I went that route. Have good bags and don’t plan on many hard winter hunts just maybe a 2nd or 3rd rifle in Colorado.

sasquatch

WKR
The Alaskan guide is one hard tent to beat. If you ever find yourself in real bad weather you’ll likely wish you was in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an Ellis Shackleton - 14x14. It takes me 15 min to set up by myself. Buy once, cry once. Its nothing you will pack in obviously but for car camping on hunting trips, it is a castle and built like a tank.

I want to buy the 8x8 Prairie tent for when I am by myself.

OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all of your input. I decided to go with the Alaskan Guide 8 man. It is less than half the weight of my wall tent and has plenty of room for 4 guys with all of our gear. I have a Marmot limelite 3p for those pack in nights that have served well so far down to the mid 20 degree nights so I think this Alaskan Guide will work out great!

Thank you for all of your input. I decided to go with the Alaskan Guide 8 man. It is less than half the weight of my wall tent and has plenty of room for 4 guys with all of our gear. I have a Marmot limelite 3p for those pack in nights that have served well so far down to the mid 20 degree nights so I think this Alaskan Guide will work out great!
Man you will love that tent but I sure hope all your buddies are with you on those one mile pack ins! Enjoy

OP
lnewton

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Man you will love that tent but I sure hope all your buddies are with you on those one mile pack ins! Enjoy
I figure I will put the poles in one sons pack, the fly and stakes in mine and the main tent in my other sons pack. Problem solved!!

*zap*

WKR
(y)

Floor for the critters for sure. Actually found a tipi with a floor on sportmans guide that has a floor and option for stove. I don’t own a stove but thought about getting a small one if I went that route. Have good bags and don’t plan on many hard winter hunts just maybe a 2nd or 3rd rifle in Colorado.

2nd and 3rd can be pretty cold… I hunted CO 2nd this year and one morning it was 3 degrees

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Kodiak pop up canvas tents. Give them a google search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Snowtrekker tents, can’t speak on the quality but I’ve been looking at them. I’m wanting the high country 9.5x9.5 and it’s only 22.5lbs but unfortunately it’s floorless. The Davis gotent may not be a bad option but not within your weight requirements.