4 day school week?

I don't think that any regulation or legislation or even an extra long Rokslide thread is going to fix education until we as a society, change our perception of school/education.

It should be that education is an opportunity to improve and build a better life.

Until you hear "I get to go to school" instead of "I have to go to school" I don't think we're going to see much improvement, regardless of teacher salaries, facilities, or daily schedules.

It's a culture thing, micro and macro.

Look at 3rd world countries where school is not available to everybody. Those folks value education at a much different level compared to the average American, who mostly take it for granted.

The economics and demographics of the nation also play a pretty important role. The Baby Boom generation is politically powerful in the number of votes and influence on policy. When their kids were in school, they voted for schools. When they aged out of having kids in schools, they voted for different priorities.

There are lots of inputs into this puzzle.
Pretty solid statement. It took me a long time to realize that I pissed away my HS education. I had some cruddy teachers, but the blame lies squarely on myself for the majority of it.

CorbLand

WKR
I don't think that any regulation or legislation or even an extra long Rokslide thread is going to fix education until we as a society, change our perception of school/education.

It should be that education is an opportunity to improve and build a better life.

Until you hear "I get to go to school" instead of "I have to go to school" I don't think we're going to see much improvement, regardless of teacher salaries, facilities, or daily schedules.

It's a culture thing, micro and macro.

Look at 3rd world countries where school is not available to everybody. Those folks value education at a much different level compared to the average American, who mostly take it for granted.

The economics and demographics of the nation also play a pretty important role. The Baby Boom generation is politically powerful in the number of votes and influence on policy. When their kids were in school, they voted for schools. When they aged out of having kids in schools, they voted for different priorities.

There are lots of inputs into this puzzle.
I agree with you on this and it makes me wonder how it would change if entry level jobs didnt require a college degree. I didnt go to college because I wanted to go to college. I went to college so I could put it on a piece of paper so I could get an interview for a job.

CHSD

WKR
In my opinion, you shouldn't care about the state assessments as its not designed to meet the specific needs of that student. I absolutely hate administering state assessments and when I sit in meetings, I smile and pretend to care but in the end the students specific needs always come before some state test that the super intendant wants so she can make herself look good to the school board.
I agree 100% with you. Every beginning of the school year when we get our school report card, I just chuckle to myself as we are told that we are failing every single year. I do not get worked up over it. Often times people love to throw out the state assessments as to why schools are failing, that is the only reason that I said it.

In our district we are top 5 paying in SD, and we still cannot get applicants to apply. Our last two hires for my grade level were the day of open house at 3:30, open house was at 5:30, and the other hire was 1 day before we started Inservice. Both jobs were advertised since April.

Which begs the question, why do people no longer want to be teachers....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree 100% with you. Every beginning of the school year when we get our school report card, I just chuckle to myself as we are told that we are failing every single year. I do not get worked up over it. Often times people love to throw out the state assessments as to why schools are failing, that is the only reason that I said it.

In our district we are top 5 paying in SD, and we still cannot get applicants to apply. Our last two hires for my grade level were the day of open house at 3:30, open house was at 5:30, and the other hire was 1 day before we started Inservice. Both jobs were advertised since April.

Out of curiosity, what would a first year out of college teacher make? what would somebody with 15 years and a masters degree earn? Do teachers in SD have a pension or are they left to their own devices to plan for retirement.

WKR

Is South Dakota still one of the states with the lowest teacher pay in the nation? I believe that had been the case historically, with Wyoming next door that pays near the top of the country for teachers.

That may not be true anymore but if it is, that's likely a big reason why there's a lack of applicants.

CHSD

WKR
Out of curiosity, what would a first year out of college teacher make? what would somebody with 15 years and a masters degree earn? Do teachers in SD have a pension or are they left to their own devices to plan for retirement.
First year out of college-$53,937. 15 years with masters-$61,475. I actually don't complain about teacher pay in our district because we get paid well. I was offered a job 9 years ago with base pay of $24k out of college and obviously turned it down.

Pension is 50% of your highest 10 years averaged, if you get to age 62 I believe. Not sure on the percentages as that's a long ways away lol

CHSD

WKR
Is South Dakota still one of the states with the lowest teacher pay in the nation? I believe that had been the case historically, with Wyoming next door that pays near the top of the country for teachers.

That may not be true anymore but if it is, that's likely a big reason why there's a lack of applicants.
Yes you are correct. We get paid well, but people don't want to move to our town. Not much here or around here....Hence why we pay so much.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
First year out of college-$53,937. 15 years with masters-$61,475. I actually don't complain about teacher pay in our district because we get paid well. I was offered a job 9 years ago with base pay of $24k out of college and obviously turned it down.

Pension is 50% of your highest 10 years averaged, if you get to age 62 I believe. Not sure on the percentages as that's a long ways away lol
Good starting salary but amazing that 15 years and a masters degree dosent even get a teacher 10k more there.

CHSD

WKR
Good starting salary but amazing that 15 years and a masters degree dosent even get a teacher 10k more there.
Exactly. That pisses a lot of veteran teachers off.

Our unofficial policy is high pay to get them here, hope they find someone to marry and buy a house and then have kids. Hope they don't want to relocate.

svivian

WKR
Here some high paying higher education jobs in my area.... just make sure you have a masters degree of PHD. Now imagine how much they are paying our middle school and high school teachers... our educations systems are broken

sasquatch

WKR
High school kids will stay up late regardless of school start time hence the reasoning for later start times. This isn't a kid staying up late to play video games either. Teenagers are undergoing changes and one of those changes is their internal clock which results in staying up later at night and sleeping in longer. If school starts at 9 am, teenagers are able to get or be closer to getting the 8 or 9 hours of sleep they need.

Somehow it did t affect me, and since 14 yrs old in the summer I was up at 6:15 to go to work with my grandpa

And earlier on than that I was up with the sun to go fishing in canals by the house

Diff was, come dark I was going to bed not ratting around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sasquatch

WKR
It’s very simple

Just look around, are todays kids more prepared to be the main contributors to society than their previous generation

I’d vote strongly no! Making simple decisions for themselves is now considered hard work

jmez

WKR
SD is still near the bottom in teacher pay. I don't know if they have a pension plan or not.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

I graduated with my degree in bio education in 1992. I wanted to leave Illinois and move to the "west" for big game reasons. The best states couldn't even touch what I could make in the midwest with a BS degree. I landed in AZ for 5 years after getting married. Teacher pay there was horrible as well. Most of the people I taught with had spouses that actually made money. Seems like much hasn't changed. I did thankfully get my Master's from NAU while in AZ for around 3K. That has made me a ton of money for the next 25 years on district pay scales. As stated in an earlier post I have been in education for 31 years and am thankful neither of my kids that are college grads chose the path of education like myself or their mother.

2531usmc

WKR
It’s very simple

Just look around, are todays kids more prepared to be the main contributors to society than their previous generation

I’d vote strongly no! Making simple decisions for themselves is now considered hard work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProI

i work for a large organization in MD and we typically hire new graduates from the large east coast universities. In past years, the overwhelming number of new employees were great kids that grew into great employees and many became great supervisors.

But something changed. The last two years we’ve had to let 15 or 20 percent of our new employees go because they had no real idea that this is work and at work everyone has to chip in and work to get the job done. They seemed to believe that it’s ok to stand there and watch other people work if it’s a task they do not particularly want to do.

I don’t know their individual stories, but it i would guess that they’ve never had to take a menial job (wait table, construction, lawn care) as a teenager to get spending money.

Almost like the stereotypical kid that sat in his basement playing video games while helicopter parents “protected” them from the give and take of the real world

BigBird69

FNG
Sounds like a terrible idea. Hopefully they reduce teachers' salaries accordingly. Our public education system is a joke. As a country we should be ashamed.

BigBird69

FNG
It would be great for teachers and students. Not so great for lowlife parents who use the school system as nothing more than a free daycare center.
I would hardly call it free. The biggest chunk of my $12k/yr property tax goes to the school system. Some kids are probably better off at school than unsupervised by their lowlife parents.

sasquatch

WKR
i work for a large organization in MD and we typically hire new graduates from the large east coast universities. In past years, the overwhelming number of new employees were great kids that grew into great employees and many became great supervisors.

But something changed. The last two years we’ve had to let 15 or 20 percent of our new employees go because they had no real idea that this is work and at work everyone has to chip in and work to get the job done. They seemed to believe that it’s ok to stand there and watch other people work if it’s a task they do not particularly want to do.

I don’t know their individual stories, but it i would guess that they’ve never had to take a menial job (wait table, construction, lawn care) as a teenager to get spending money.

Almost like the stereotypical kid that sat in his basement playing video games while helicopter parents “protected” them from the give and take of the real world

This happened because “we don’t want our little Johnny having to do anything tough like we had to”

Thus, we are raising mostly worthless spoiled brats who think everything is free. Parents are literally raising a generation that will turn 18 and vote to against them to try and take everything they worked for because it’s not fair that their elders have money right?

Half the parents in this country should flat out be ashamed of themselves