4 person tipis for solo hunt

Anyone here pack in and use a 4 person tipi (Cimarron or similar) on a solo backcountry hunt? Seems like it would provide an awesome palace and place to dry off but at a decent weight penalty. Curious to hear thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TR909

FNG
I use a Cimarron for solo backpacking and hunting. It's not enough weight to sway me away from comfort/space. I used to use a Hilleberg Soulo (heavier) and then a Hiilleberg Enan (lighter). Both are great tents. But the room that the Cimarron and similar shelters provide for a hunting situations with more gear is just awesome.

OP
O
I use a Cimarron for solo backpacking and hunting. It's not enough weight to sway me away from comfort/space. I used to use a Hilleberg Soulo (heavier) and then a Hiilleberg Enan (lighter). Both are great tents. But the room that the Cimarron and similar shelters provide for a hunting situations with more gear is just awesome.

That’s great to hear. How much harder than your Hillebergs is it to find good spots to set up? How well does it pitch on uneven ground?

svivian

WKR
That’s great to hear. How much harder than your Hillebergs is it to find good spots to set up? How well does it pitch on uneven ground?

The only problem ive had is rocky areas where i cant get a stake into the ground. Otherwise for weight purposes i prefer the cimmaron over a standard backpacking tent.

wilbur007

FNG
I used a Black Diamond Megalight for several years because of the space. It was so much lighter than the "backpacker's tent" I used to carry that I didn't mind the weight penalty. So nice to have room to spread out when the weather is miserable.

I use my Kifaru Tut (4 man) tipi every Sept in CO for archery elk. It’s 3# 11oz all in and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Love the size, space, weight, stand up room, room for bivy or half nest leaving the other side “open” for a chair and tons of gear, or a stove and gear. Hard to try another floorless shelter given the palace it offers. Plus, it could be used for 2 guys and gear if going far or UL.

I rock the Cimm solo and love it. I’ll take the extra weight over some of the smaller shelters to get all that extra head room.

That all said, I haven’t gotten into a situation where I’m short on surface area to pitch it, so not much experience there.

yohavos

FNG
I just got back from a week in the backcountry using a two man tent solo and am shopping for a 4 man tipi right now for this very application.

The ability to use a stove someday is a plus. I don’t have immediate plans to do so, but the option is a bonus.

I'll pack in a kifaru tut and lite outdoors stove when not planning to move camp. It is way nice. I almost always have a plan to help with the packout as well.

gostovp

WKR
I keep debating this … I have a Cimarron and don’t know if I want to spend the $ on a smaller tent like an Xmid or Stratospire or Double Rainbow … or just carry the Cimarron and enjoy the extra room