44 mag

Wassid82

WKR
Recently I was gifted a 44 mag marlin 1984 lever action. It looks like a fun gun. Ive never owned this caliber rifle. Wondering who out there has used it...what they might have hunted with it.... and what bullets they found to be decent..... advice and help would be great thanks. In my few hours of research it looks like a small/medium predator or big game gun. However I have seen some info on elk.

I use my Winchester 94 in .44 mag as a close range deer rifle and a saddle gun on summer trips into griz country. For deer I use 240 gr soft points and for bear protection I like 320 hard cast flat points with gas checks.

Fun gun indeed. I have shot the 1894 in 357 and 44 mag. I can not speak to the hunting aspect as I have only put them to work on steel, pop cans, and paper. However, after a day at the range with either of the little lever guns, I think of how fun and challenging a hunt with one of them would be. I would personally opt for the 44 for the obvious power and range advantage, so you are set-up there. Deer, antelope, coyote, lion, no problem with factory 240 grain JHP or the better yet the JSP. If you hand load, I agree with the 2400 and H110 and XTP. I have also had good luck with the lighter 200 Grain XTP's with Super light loads with Unique powder for Turkey loads in a Ruger Redhawk. Hunting Elk would be a super challenging hunt with the 1894. I have hunted elk with my .44 Handgun and just didn't get the right situation. It was the only time that I wished that I had a different set-up - even a lever 30-30 would have gotten the job done but the pistol just wasn't what I needed. Anyway, if dedicated elk hunt interests you, I would look at different bullets and shoot the heck out of the rifle to find the absolute best load and your maximum range ( might even add a scope to give you all the advantage). Happy hunting

Hunting deer with mine this instant. Thumb sized entry and quarter exits. My gun is somewhat picky on ammo but likes the cheap PMC Starfire 240s the best. Married to a vxiii 1.5-5 it’s a great combo for woods carry. Not loud, no recoil and lightweight.