444pt bull just taken

Beendare

WKR
Nobody winning that 365 day hunt in a raffle would pass it up. Nobody.

Speaking for myself.....I would do the hunt......but on my own terms.

So here's a couple questions....and I don't know the answer.
How much of the hunting did this guy actually do? That A3 had how many hundreds of cameras out...and how big a crew scouring the countryside for a big bull?

Its a different "Style" hunt for sure. I have buddies that work for outfits like this and they charter choppers to spot these big bulls.

It really boils down to how much do you want to spend to INSURE you are killing a big bull. Everybody is different. No slight to the hunter in the photo- congrats. Just not my style as I just would never feel I earned the animal..... even if I had the $200k-$300k to dump on something like this.

Would I take the tag if I won it in a raffle....heck yeah!

BullElk

FNG
It appears there’s quite a bit of confusion on this tag. If it’s indeed the raffle tag and not the governor tag why is there so much hating going on?

The hunter here is probably just an avg joe that had 365 days to burn his tag. May or may not have hunted a few months last fall/winter and couldn’t get it done. Hired a guide as he’s probably a NR with a true OIL tag. Big deal he probably paid a normal guiding fee that any other would for a fall hunt, drops a tremendous bull, and the outfitter gets to use it as advertising.

Regardless of what month he got it done it’s completely legal and congrats to him on dropping a great animal.
If I won that tag I’d of done it differently myself but to each their own.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It appears there’s quite a bit of confusion on this tag. If it’s indeed the raffle tag and not the governor tag why is there so much hating going on?

The hunter here is probably just an avg joe that had 365 days to burn his tag. May or may not have hunted a few months last fall/winter and couldn’t get it done. Hired a guide as he’s probably a NR with a true OIL tag. Big deal he probably paid a normal guiding fee that any other would for a fall hunt, drops a tremendous bull, and the outfitter gets to use it as advertising.

Regardless of what month he got it done it’s completely legal and congrats to him on dropping a great animal.
If I won that tag I’d of done it differently myself but to each their own.

That is well said and correct.

The Super Tag drawing is tonight.

I spend a lot of the year dreaming about what I would do if I would be fortunate to draw any one of the 11 species tags or the Swarovski bundle. For elk, I’d take the last week of September and the first week of October and head out probably to the unit next to the marginal one I’ve been fortunate to draw 3 times and invite all the friends I’ve made over the years to share camp whenever they could. I’d enjoy that immensely and try to take a B&C bull with my flintlock. If that didn’t work I’d more than likely come back in December and try some late season hunting. If l I still didn’t have my bull, I’ll be calling a few guides and booking a velvet bull hunt!

Great problem to have.

This is a RAFFLE tag and the elk chance is $25; that is a lucky guy and congratulations to him.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Speaking for myself.....I would do the hunt......but on my own terms.

So here's a couple questions....and I don't know the answer.
How much of the hunting did this guy actually do? That A3 had how many hundreds of cameras out...and how big a crew scouring the countryside for a big bull?

Its a different "Style" hunt for sure. I have buddies that work for outfits like this and they charter choppers to spot these big bulls.

It really boils down to how much do you want to spend to INSURE you are killing a big bull. Everybody is different. No slight to the hunter in the photo- congrats. Just not my style as I just would never feel I earned the animal..... even if I had the $200k-$300k to dump on something like this.

Would I take the tag if I won it in a raffle....heck yeah!

I'm told he tried but was never able to find a real monster and as his time began to wear thin...sought local help. A3 are boot leather and cam guys...they don't even use drones. Pure old school. The tag may have cost him under a grand and the guides another 5K. Money and time are completely interchangeable. You can get one at the expense of the other. Don't have decades of elk hunting experience under your belt? Hire someone that does. Don't have money but plenty of free time? Spend it in the backcountry. Experience hunting elk comes at a price regardless whether you have free time or not. Anyone who enjoys chasing elk and having bulls scream in their face is cool with me. I'm not a judgmental person.

Azone

WKR
That's a badass bull, plain and simple. We can argue ethics and standards all we want but if NO LAWS WERE BROKEN congratulations to the man that dropped him.
Some of us will only be able to dream about an opportunity like this while a lucky few amongst us get their numbers called.

Why is it that people haveing different options on ethics or different goals/standards is "hating"?

I see it all the time when someone kills a big animal in a manner some may not agree with. All of the sudden its hating or jealousy. Not specific to this hunter but I have learned that money buys big animals. Connections buy big animals. I have no respect for hunters that buy big animals and I sure as hell am not jealous or hating. To each their own. As some have said if it's within the law good for them.

BullElk

FNG
Why is it that people haveing different options on ethics or different goals/standards is "hating"?

I see it all the time when someone kills a big animal in a manner some may not agree with. All of the sudden its hating or jealousy. Not specific to this hunter but I have learned that money buys big animals. Connections buy big animals. I have no respect for hunters that buy big animals and I sure as hell am not jealous or hating. To each their own. As some have said if it's within the law good for them.
maybe you didn't read all the posts?
I think your paragraph below the question almost mirrors my thoughts to a T...

AZ32

FNG
Congrats to the hunter! Once in a lifetime bull no matter the circumstances

FlyingG

FNG
Don’t see why millennials have anything to do with this bull or any post here.