45-70 Gov Brass

Just got a 45-70 and am looking to load for it. Does anyone with experience loading 45-70 have preferences on brass?

MThuntr

WKR
Just about anything will be fine. You're not shooting a precision rifle so get what's available. I use Starline and it works well.

Don't buy once fired Hornady because most of it is too short because Hornady cut it back for their flextip bullet.

Fuzzybock

FNG
With the current state of affairs the best brass is the brass you can find. As mentioned above watch out for the Hornady brass for the FTX bullets as its around .060" shorter than standard. So its good if you wanna reload with the FTX bullets but worthless if you are loading typical bullets. I have a small mix of federal, winchester for standard jacketed bullets and old school 405gr lead and hornaday for FTX only. One day I would like to try Starline since I hear its excellent.

OP
pronghorned
What did you get? I bought a Henry Classic (H024) for Christmas in 45-70.

Marlin 45-70 — loving it so far

I thought it would be easy and cheap to find ammo since it’s 150 year old round, but I was wrong.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Marlin 45-70 — loving it so far

I thought it would be easy and cheap to find ammo since it’s 150 year old round, but I was wrong.
There's no such thing as "easy and cheap to find ammo" these days LOL. I enjoy shooting it, but I'm having a muzzle brake put on mine as we speak.

Here's some interesting ballistics comparisons for various 45-70 ammunition that you might find interesting.

Last edited:
OP
pronghorned
Well I made a big goof — I ordered a starline 45-90 brass instead of 45-70 brass. Didn’t notice until I had brass in hand.

Am I SOL or is this something I can trim to fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro