.45 cal Full Bore Recommendations - Elk Load

Fish_on!

FNG
Last year my hunting partner and I both hunted elk with our .45 cal muzzleloaders and both took an elk. We were shooting 240 grain Maximus in blue crush sabots over 75 grains by weight BH. The accuracy of this load was amazing, with open sight groups at 200 around 8 inches off a good rest. However, game performance was lacking. Elk one took 2 shots at 100 yds with one follow up at 30 yds and no blood trail. Elk two 4 shots total from around 100 yds and no blood trail. All bleeding was internal and it appeared the bullets were expanding way to fast. Performance was not acceptable with the Maximus 240s. As a note, you need to shoot smooth blues, the crushed rib blues failed with the charge we were shooting out of the UL.

I am looking at some full bore Parker bullets options but was interested in hearing others opinions on a good round for elk out of a .45 cal.

Thank you,
Ben

35remy

FNG
I have been using 275gr Pittman Accumax bullets in my .45 SML. They have worked very well for whitetails. I believe Kyle has some newer designs with harder alloys that might suit your purpose (maybe called Hardcore?). If you visit his site and have any questions, he is very responsive and a great gentleman to do business with. I can’t speak highly enough about his product and his customer service.

ENCORE

WKR
I have been using 275gr Pittman Accumax bullets in my .45 SML. They have worked very well for whitetails. I believe Kyle has some newer designs with harder alloys that might suit your purpose (maybe called Hardcore?). If you visit his site and have any questions, he is very responsive and a great gentleman to do business with. I can’t speak highly enough about his product and his customer service.
The Hard Core bullet would likely pencil through with BH209 out of a production rifle with a maximum charge of 120/84 grains.

35remy

FNG
The Hard Core bullet would likely pencil through with BH209 out of a production rifle with a maximum charge of 120/84 grains.
You may be correct. I’m not sure what MV most are getting from BH209. I have been using the regular Pittman Accumax bullets in my smokeless rig over a wool wad and a reduced charge of IMR4198. I’m not near my max charge but I’m currently pushing around 2300fps. I have also used the Fury star tips in a light blue harvester with good results, but I prefer the full bore sized to fit. I still use 777 in my trusty Knight .50 cal backup rig and haven’t ever chrono’d it (never used it past 150).

ENCORE

WKR
You may be correct. I’m not sure what MV most are getting from BH209. I have been using the regular Pittman Accumax bullets in my smokeless rig over a wool wad and a reduced charge of IMR4198. I’m not near my max charge but I’m currently pushing around 2300fps. I have also used the Fury star tips in a light blue harvester with good results, but I prefer the full bore sized to fit. I still use 777 in my trusty Knight .50 cal backup rig and haven’t ever chrono’d it (never used it past 150).
I have 4 or 500 Pittman Accumax but rarely shoot them in either SML or with BH209. I prefer the 300gr XLD's, which are outstanding long range bullets.

I did a test with 120/84grs of BH testing different loading forces. However the following will give you an idea of the velocity a production rifle will get with 120/84 and a 300gr bullets, both Pittman and the XLD. The test was performed at 300yds. The most accurate was the XLD sized at 8#.

AVERAGES 2.JPG

35remy

FNG
I have 4 or 500 Pittman Accumax but rarely shoot them in either SML or with BH209. I prefer the 300gr XLD's, which are outstanding long range bullets.

I did a test with 120/84grs of BH testing different loading forces. However the following will give you an idea of the velocity a production rifle will get with 120/84 and a 300gr bullets, both Pittman and the XLD. The test was performed at 300yds. The most accurate was the XLD sized at 8#.

View attachment 391006
Great info, and nice results with the BH209 and XLD. I’m always so appreciative when people take the time/$ to test loads and share the data with others. I will have take a look at the XLD’s for my SML. I have found the wool wads work best with my Pittmans. Have you had any noticeable difference with the XLD’s using wool vs veggie? Thanks.

ENCORE

WKR
Great info, and nice results with the BH209 and XLD. I’m always so appreciative when people take the time/$ to test loads and share the data with others. I will have take a look at the XLD’s for my SML. I have found the wool wads work best with my Pittmans. Have you had any noticeable difference with the XLD’s using wool vs veggie? Thanks.
I use wool exclusively........ except ... when using Fury bullets and then its a veggie.

OP
F

Fish_on!

FNG

View attachment 391006

Will the XLD have proper performance at speeds lower than you have posted? I am shooting a UL so I assume I will be around 2000 FPS. I did order a sizing pack to see if they would fit without sizing and the larges were to small.

Thanks for the responses.

A better fit maybe for slower speeds might be the Alco Alpha Hunter. Extremely high BC and only a .016" jacket.

I haven't shot these yet but I'm going to order them and try. The .016" jacket should allow the bullet to obturate quickly.

I won’t get into the politics, but some of the alco bullets are the same design as Pittman.

Spence

FNG
I am using the arrowhead NSR "no sizing required" XLD 300. WE have had fantastic luck with them. Full penetration and exit wound. 4 shots 4 elk. All with the same performance from bullet. I am shooting a bit faster than most as my muzz is a arrowhead custom. I am getting 2510 fps with blackhorn 209. I recommend and will continue to use the XLD NSR 300. If they are a bit big for your rifle you can get a sizing die to adapt them to your bore by sizing down. Best of luck.