.45 Colt for hunting backup carry

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Got lucky at an RMEF banquet and won a Taurus Judge, and while it wouldn't have been my first choice in handgun otherwise, I think it will be a fun toy and something for snake duty in Uvalde. Also got me thinking that loaded up with some .45C, it might be a serviceable sidearm to take while archery hunting.

My big handgun experience has pretty much exclusively been with the perfectly adequate XTP (Underwood seems to have a nice 250 gr loading), but I'm curious to see what other options folks here have had success with. Barnes XPB looks interesting, but I'm a little leery of all copper with such low velocities. I may eventually buy dies for it for grins, but in the meantime, what is the favored factory load here for when bear spray doesn't cut it?

Bolo4u

FNG
Got lucky at an RMEF banquet and won a Taurus Judge, and while it wouldn't have been my first choice in handgun otherwise, I think it will be a fun toy and something for snake duty in Uvalde. Also got me thinking that loaded up with some .45C, it might be a serviceable sidearm to take while archery hunting.

My big handgun experience has pretty much exclusively been with the perfectly adequate XTP (Underwood seems to have a nice 250 gr loading), but I'm curious to see what other options folks here have had success with. Barnes XPB looks interesting, but I'm a little leery of all copper with such low velocities. I may eventually buy dies for it for grins, but in the meantime, what is the favored factory load here for when bear spray doesn't cut it?

Those are cool, but be sure to research the laws for the states where you intend to carry. Since it can also use a .410 shotgun round, some states prohibit it, as they consider it a short-barreled shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Those are cool, but be sure to research the laws for the states where you intend to carry. Since it can also use a .410 shotgun round, some states prohibit it, as they consider it a short-barreled shotgun.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll have a look. Hopefully Colorado is not among the restrictive states.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider

I don’t think this is correct. Short barreled shotguns are regulated by the federal government, not the states. And the fact that the barrel is rifled means that it’s not a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolo4u

FNG

Bolo4u

FNG
I don’t think this is correct. Short barreled shotguns are regulated by the federal government, not the states. And the fact that the barrel is rifled means that it’s not a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think what you wish, but having been a cop for ~30 years, I know a little about this topic. Not saying it's true in every state, but in Califuckya, it very well falls into the short barreled shotgun definition. And there is nothing about rifling mentioned in the statute:

elkduds

WKR
1. Thanks for supporting RMEF, public lands and elk habitat..

2. Many Judge owners carry them here in CO.

3. Black bears and lions are the largest predators you will find here. 000 buckshot or .45 pill will be plenty.

Good luck this fall.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes on the 45lc, no on the Taurus judge.

My dad has 3 judges and he loves them but one of them has been back to be repaired 2 times, it broke from shooting 45lc Ammo through it. I would t trust it. The one that broke was the smaller of the 3 models.

robtattoo

WKR
Have you looked into the .410 self defense ammo designed for the Judge. I think it's Winchester PDX (could be wrong). I don't have any personal experience, but a friend of mine swears it's the best thing since sliced bread in his Judge. It's the jobs with the 3 solid copper discs & 000 buck combined....

Muttly

WKR
No comment on the use of the Taurus from legal standpoint, but if using a 45 for bear protection, I would steer clear of the XTPs.
Would expect them to separate rather penetrate on bear noggin..

gbflyer

WKR
Fine for standard .45 Colt loads. Stay away from the Ruger only loads like the hot Buffalo Bore. I love my .45 Colts. Ruger 5.5 Bisley and R92 rifle.