458x2" American

Here's a picture of my gun. XP100 with a 15" mcgowen 14t barrel, fat bastard brake, leupold 2.5-8x pistol scope
7edda6c10485de66b28f0f1932ea9e9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Nice looking rig. Whose stock is that?

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Cutting edge makes a 150 and 160 that are pretty good. I have a buddy who uses them in his 357max's and has shot deer out to 400+

I'm quite familiar with Cutting Edge. I shoot their bullets in a couple of my rifles. Are those bullets you are referring to 358 or 357 cal? The 350 Legend bore is actually 357. I asked them if their new 160 and 180 grain 358 Maximus bullets would be OK in the 357 bore because the bearing surface is so small. They said they were unsure and would get back to me but I havent heard back yet. IDK why Winchester just didnt make the bore 358 for a rifle cartridge

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure those bullets are .358. I know my buddy is shooting them in .357 bore barrels

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Yeah I am thinking once I build a 350 Legend upper I'll try the 160 or 180 Maximus and carefully work up a load. I would really like to do an AR pistol but I dont think anyone is making them right now.

That looks pretty cool!
Thanks. I like your pistol too. Ours are probably similar in barrel length once I discount the suppressor part of the barrel.

I have found that belted mag brass can have different case thickness around the 2" cutoff making some too thick to chamber after taking a bullet. What's been your experience? I haven't started dialing it in yet...have any load suggestions?

Also, I had this guy may me a cut-off guide for belted brass and he sells them now. Goes on a cheap harbor freight 2" chopsaw, works well. I cut with this guide, finish cut with a lee trimmer on a press, then debur and chamfer.

I've got the reamer, barrel, 450 marlin dies, brass, and bullets.
Also...
CH4D has 458x2 dies. During the height of the shortage, they were sitting in stock. I have a feeling they made too many in the past and they never moved. One of the few times having a wildcat paid off, all of their other dies were backordered for months

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I've only used 458 win mag brass since a buddy gave me a couple hundred of them a long time ago. Don't shoot it much, its a handful with the 400gr barnes x. I'll look at my notes to see what powder I used in it.

wiseone

FNG
I've only used 458 win mag brass since a buddy gave me a couple hundred of them a long time ago. Don't shoot it much, its a handful with the 400gr barnes x. I'll look at my notes to see what powder I used in it.

Not here. But I load like I would a 45-70 and have been pleased.
Have you shot anything with it? I'm wanting to build one in a xp100 and get a Cape Buffalo 🐃 with it...

Have you shot anything with it? I'm wanting to build one in a xp100 and get a Cape Buffalo 🐃 with it...
Only pigs, and snared critters. I keep mine in my truck, it is quiet and quick (except for my feed issue).

I definitely wouldn't target dangerous game with mine until the feed issue was resolved. But in truth, I never considered that use case when I bought it. Maybe I should, (at least for NA bear and such).

wiseone

FNG
I wish I could talk to
I wish I could Talk with rickiesrevenge about his xp..

Only pigs, and snared critters. I keep mine in my truck, it is quiet and quick (except for my feed issue).

I definitely wouldn't target dangerous game with mine until the feed issue was resolved. But in truth, I never considered that use case when I bought it. Maybe I should, (at least for NA bear and such).
I watched a video on the straight wall not feeding sometimes.. needed to open up the front feed rails.. Did you have to get a ffl permit because yours is Silenced? I seen a muzzle loader with a silencer on it and they said because it was built on it there wasn't any paperwork..plus none for a muzzle loader to of course..

wiseone

FNG
I'm going to build a 458x2" this winter. I'm going to cut down 458 mag brass since I've got a couple hundred cases that a buddy gave me. He also gave me a bunch of 400gr x bullets and a pile of cast bullets. Mine will be an XP-100 with a 14" barrel. I've got the reamer, barrel, 450 marlin dies, brass, and bullets. Just need to spin up the lathe and put it together.

Aaron
I would like to talk to you about this build.. how can I get ahold of you?