New brass question

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll start out by saying although I do chase accuracy I don’t long range shoot. I kill a lot of animals a year but none over 200 yards.

My brass is a mess. I have no idea how many firings my 6.5cm, 7mm08 (my most used hunting rifles) have, the all need trimmed at sporadic times, not much consistency. However I continue to kill with them.

Should I start from scratch and get new brass as I load develop for new projectiles this spring or stick with “good enough” brass?

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been that down rabbit hole and it’s fun. I’m just realistic and know it’s not necessary for my style of hunting.

Vern400

WKR
At the end of life, my RP 308 brass usually splits at the neck. It's easily visible. I set those aside for Fouler shots and milkjug killin. Seems to me most of them make six reloadings. I do anneal every other loading. I am pushing Max loads of RL15.

I can't recall a functional failure as a result. They usually split during resizing. Every now and then one will split while seatting the bullet. Sometimes they'll get a little split when they fire and I figure "well, I got the goodie out of that one"

I have Noble intentions but honestly it's hard for me to keep my brass organized by firings.

Axlrod

WKR
I would buy 100 new brass for each gun. Keep them all on the same # of times fired. Sometimes they will give you the split neck warning, sometimes the primer pockets get loose, and sometimes they will separate at the case head. When this happens the front half stays in the chamber. If you feel confident that will only happen when you don't need to shoot again soon, then your brass is fine.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. I don't count firings and I am not terribly organized. The only thing I do is place fired cases in a plastic storage box and reload from this box as needed. I have brass that I have been rotating for 25 years. Have had few split necks, maybe two.

Most of my shots are under 200 yards. However, with my 7mm mag I am comfortable with out to 500. I do take much more care in brass rotation and preparation with this rifle.

I should mention that I do rotate between 4 rifles depending on where I hunt. I also take care to examine each case carefully prior and after shooting. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. As I reload for several rifles and pistols I would never get in any trigger time if I were as meticulous as some claim they are on the forums.

Your brass is shooting and in safe condition. Sounds like what your needs require is still being met. Keep on loading.