5 Best Nuggets from Hunting Podcasts

Billinsd

WKR
I started listening to Elktalk podcast with Randy and Corey. It's pretty entertaining, and I like Corey's engineering, analytical thinking and Randy's pragmatic thinking. I learned or relearned that it's best to be at the same elevation if possible as a bull elk and approach at the same elevation, because the wind will usually be at 90 degrees. Corey reinforced that midmorning when the thermals are changing it's better to have the wind at 90 degrees than in your face, which is counterintuitive. However, if the wind is in your face, say the thermals are pushing it downhill in the morning it will switch 180 degrees and be on your back. Midmorning the thermals are changing and swirling.

That's one great nugget, another is along the same lines. Corey said when he is calling a bull at the same elevation with the wind perpendicular, he puts the hunter on the downwind side of the straight line to the bull, and downwind of where they expect the bull to come in. That's number 2.

3 was Randy saying there is gear and there are gadgets. Gear is something that is useful. Gadgets are things that appear to be useful, but are not.

4 was Corey and if elk aren't responding he moves on, even if he believes there are elk in the area for early season.

5 was how Corey specializes in early season archery elk, being a great caller, and Randy specializes in late season elk, being an expert on finding elk sanctuaries. And how on one podcast Corey opened Randy's eyes on how to be a better early season elk hunter.

What 5 nuggets have you all gotten out of podcasts??

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t come up with five off the top of my head, but I just listen to one with Greg Krogh of Nevada he was on J Scott outdoors. They killed something like 95% of the bucks that they had pre-scouted. And all of them within a short distance of where they had seen them even months before. Just reminded me, why it doesn’t really pay to jump around, especially early season. If I think of anymore I’ll post them on here. This will be a good thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*edit. I just remembered that when you’re hunting with Ryan Avery not to get downwind of him. That’s probably on a podcast somewhere. If it’s not it should be

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I can’t come up with five off the top of my head, but I just listen to one with Greg Krogh of Nevada he was on J Scott outdoors. They killed something like 95% of the bucks that they had pre-scouted. And all of them within a short distance of where they had seen them even months before. Just reminded me, why it doesn’t really pay to jump around, especially early season. If I think of anymore I’ll post them on here. This will be a good thread.
Greg is a mule deer expert!! He's also a fantastic elk guide!! Him and his guides keep tabs on the big bucks. Real common with good guides. I remember he said on a podcast, that in Nevada guides used when legal, put cameras on water in Eastern Nevada, in the best units, at the bottom of basins, so they would know which basin to scout for the biggest bucks. He also said something like you hunt the biggest bucks during archery season and kill the biggest bucks during rifle season. Or maybe that was someone else, or maybe that's true for a mediocre bowhunter like me?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Greg is a mule deer expert!! He's also a fantastic elk guide!! Him and his guides keep tabs on the big bucks. Real common with good guides. I remember he said on a podcast, that in Nevada guides used when legal, put cameras on water in Eastern Nevada, in the best units, at the bottom of basins, so they would know which basin to scout for the biggest bucks. He also said something like you hunt the biggest bucks during archery season and kill the biggest bucks during rifle season. Or maybe that was someone else, or maybe that's true for a mediocre bowhunter like me?

Yes, he’s one of the very best.

Another podcast I heard with Jason Carter gave a tip on not glassing an area too long during the rut. If you don’t see a shooter, don’t spend more than a few seconds looking at smaller bucks, move on.

He’s right and I’ve made that mistake too many times, I get bored and start watching the small bucks just to have something to do, rather than just moving on and looking for bigger bucks.

street

WKR
Yes, he’s one of the very best.

Another podcast I heard with Jason Carter gave a tip on not glassing an area too long during the rut. If you don’t see a shooter, don’t spend more than a few seconds looking at smaller bucks, move on.

He’s right and I’ve made that mistake too many times, I get bored and start watching the small bucks just to have something to do, rather than just moving on and looking for bigger bucks.

That tip from Carter has always stuck with me. I try to keep it in mind at all times. Everything he says about mobility is the opposite of my philosophy, which is why I pay attention to his knowledge so much.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That tip from Carter has always stuck with me. I try to keep it in mind at all times. Everything he says about mobility is the opposite of my philosophy, which is why I pay attention to his knowledge so much.
Yes, I do think if you read between the lines though, that once he finds a good buck, he doesn't jump around.