5 Year Old's 1st Hunt

Gumbo

WKR
Best hunt of my life. Spent two full days looking for doe speedgoats with my son. First day there were no goats in the Block Management pasture we had permission to hunt. I left it up to him whether we would go back for another try. He woke me up at 5am the next day ready to go. We switched to a different pasture and finally got one at the end of the day on our first attempt at a stalk. Little man hiked 4+ miles total that day and was right beside me when I shot and got to see everything go down. He was almost as jacked as I was.

It was really great to get to show him how to do it right (we could've shot a doe on the wrong side of the fence both days) and that in order to be successful you must be positive and persistent. We also found fossils, snakes, and otherwise just enjoyed the open country, wildlife, and each others' company.

20191017_144803.jpg

20191018_134336.jpg

Rich M

WKR
And that's how it is done. Keep it up and he'll be your best friend for life.

My dad started that with me at about that age and we're heading out next week for a 2 week adventure. We've been hunting together for 45 years. I take him now and not the other way around.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Have a 2 yr old and can’t wait to get out west to raise him right.

Best place on earth for a kid is the western US (but not too far west). I've had him and his little sister out fishing and "hunting" rabbits and ducks in a backpack with me since they were 1. Some of it is self-gratifying, I mean how can the Misses complain when I involve them too? But it is the best feeling watching them catch fish or otherwise explore and experience the outdoors. I know everyone says this, but enjoy it because it really goes fast!

Fowler530

WKR
Great job Dad planting the seeds by getting the kids outdoors and involved!! (y) (y) Sure brings back a lot of fond memories!! Thanks for the post!!