56mm vs. 50mm Objective Riflescope

Buying a Meostar R1 and can’t decide. I hunt big fields in the south for coyotes and pigs. On a good clear night will the 56 gain me any advantage? The two scopes I’m trying to decide between are 3-12x56 or 3-10x50.
Is the bigger 56mm bell going to give me any more lowlight visibility? If not, I will go with the 50mm for size and weight.

Both are 30mm tubes. I understand exit pupil only inasmuch as I’ve studied it here in different write-ups and threads but wondering about some real world experience.

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
Bigger bell is going to give you more light with all other things equal. How much more is subjective. I have a 56 on my 22-250 and a 50 on my 7mm mag. The 56 is significantly better in low light. There is a couple hundred dollar difference between the two scopes though. My understanding is meopta is one of the best when it comes to light transmission in optics so i say pick one and have fun with it and don't waste any time thinking about the one you didn't get.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have both sizes. Mounting height may be a concern depending on the rifle. The rifles I've mounted my 56 mm on used the same ring size as the 50 due to the barrel contour. If the price difference isn't much, I'd go with the 56. I would think between scopes in the same brand, you'd be able to see a difference.