5mm Day Six Arrows

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Saw this in my inbox this morning and peaked my interest. Slightly less GPI than Easton 5mm Axis. I am curious if they will be as durable as their 4mm HD arrow, anyone know?

Bump79

WKR
I haven't tried them. I have shot a lot of shafts though and ran some simple calcs.

While it's tough to tell, the components will be stronger just due to increased diameter. I'd be comfortable without upgrading to the Ti or steel most likely. In regards to the shaft, wall thickness adds a lot to durability. The micro is 29% thicker walled. Modulus of carbon appears to be close and is likely the same grade. I'd put my money on the micro for durability but I wouldn't be concerned with either.

To be honest though, I'd wait. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5mm Easton Long Range at ATA show this year. The 5mm Axis is their most popular shaft and it makes sense to expand on it. RIP TKO's are very popular. Even though their Sonic pretty much fills that void. I'd guess it at 9.3-9.6 GPI.

TheTone

WKR
203 inner diameter instead of 204, hmmm. I think the g5 arrows are the same. So no using a hit it looks like

Bump79

WKR
203 inner diameter instead of 204, hmmm. I think the g5 arrows are the same. So no using a hit it looks like
HIT is only stock for Easton. 001" is pretty minor. You can get a HIT in typically or use a bore brush to get them in easy.

I'd be curious in a durability, straightness and batch to batch consistency of the Day six arrows.

Easton has those 3 components and their price point comes in about $20 less per dozen.

I shoot axis, friend shoots these. I’ve always been an Easton fan and somewhat goldtip. He really likes the Day Six and finds good deals to make them price comparable. I think the components are over designed and a bit weaker/not their. Works for him and he arrows 6-8 animals a year in Montana.

I'd be curious in a durability, straightness and batch to batch consistency of the Day six arrows.

Easton has those 3 components and their price point comes in about $20 less per dozen.
I have a friend recently affiliated with them and consistency is excellent, on par with BE (which is what I shoot currently)

I will probably switch to day 6 next year, not compromising consistency and gaining durability, which is my only hang up with BE

I have shot axis match grades a bunch and they are an excellent shaft, but it looks like the consistency is better on day 6… splitting hairs perhaps but I switched to BE because of consistency and nock tuning my recurves, which I hate… BE has made that process pain free, so I switched everything over from axis

Still think axis match are the best hunting shafts I’ve shot, but I value less messing around and tuning being a verification process

Last edited:
OP
J

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend recently affiliated with them and consistency is excellent, on par with BE (which is what I shoot currently)

I will probably switch to day 6 next year, not compromising consistency and gaining durability, which is my only hang up with BE

I have shot axis match grades a bunch and they are an excellent shaft, but it looks like the consistency is better on day 6… splitting hairs perhaps but I switched to BE because of consistency and nock tuning my recurves, which I hate… BE has made that process pain free, so I switched everything over from axis

Still think axis match are the best hunting shafts I’ve shot, but I value less messing around and tuning being a verification process
Good to know. I am currently shooting the 4mm Axis after shooting the Day Six HDs. I like the durability of the day six HDs but they are heavy which I guess is part of the compromise.

After looking more into these but can't seem to confirm on the website if they will be the same style of half-out system used on the HDs? Im looking to move away from the halfouts.

Good to know. I am currently shooting the 4mm Axis after shooting the Day Six HDs. I like the durability of the day six HDs but they are heavy which I guess is part of the compromise.

After looking more into these but can't seem to confirm on the website if they will be the same style of half-out system used on the HDs? Im looking to move away from the halfouts.
You talking the .203”? I can find out

dkime

WKR
@dkime got any info to pass on?

Thanks for the tag buddy, I’ve got a 7 month old these days and he tends to take priority for my spare time as opposed to forum lurking.

I’m sure you guys have a bunch of questions for us on these shafts. Obviously you can reach out to myself or Broderick on the website or any of our socials, you’ll probably have better luck getting ahold of us if you go that route.

These shafts have been a long time coming for us. I had mentioned on here a few months back that we were going to be releasing them and timing wise it didn’t work out to launch them prior to season.

See comment above about having a newborn in the middle of peak sales season for our industry, I’m a glutton for punishment but we weren’t excited about to extending our lead times just to launch a product last minute and have an even crazier time.

Shafts are going to be offered in an .001 and .003 straightness configuration. Prior to season I built myself 2 dozen shafts. We redesigned the centric system to accommodate these shafts. I read some of the comments about HIT compatibility concerns. To be frank, we try and avoid our attorneys office as much as possible and that seems like a good way for him to get a new boat.

Why did we do it? Because folks kept asking for it is the best response I’ve got.

Guys want to run lighted nocks. Personally I hate lighted nocks, they’re not well built nocks. They try to stick 10gallons of crap in a 5 gallon pale. 5mm shafts allow for that. The caveat to that is that we are shipping shafts with a G nock Bushing. Why? Because I’m shooting these shafts for indoor/outdoor 3d, Outdoor target, and field and we all obviously understand the benefits of having a bushing when it comes to group shooting for durability.

Secondly one of the major complaints (while we all probably disagree with this) is that guys can’t get enough FOC out of the HD shafts. A lighter GPI shaft let’s folks get FOC’d as much as they like.

I was fortunate enough to fill all of my tags in Wyoming this year with these shafts and plan to fill a few more before the year ends. Im sure I glazed over a few questions that were posted above. I’ll try to circle back

DK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR

Not the exact same system, with the launch of these shafts we have slightly redesigned our original centric system and carried the changes over to these shafts

OP
J

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Not the exact same system, with the launch of these shafts we have slightly redesigned our original centric system and carried the changes over to these shafts

Appreciate the response! Looking forward to trying these out!

TheTone

WKR
Any pics of the redesigned centric for these shafts? I like the specs a lot.

Call me confused but I don’t see how making the internal diameter 204 would be an attorney issues, there are tons of arrows from different manufacturers with the same specs and thus cross component use

entropy

FNG

Does the sleeve still thread onto the post?

Are the threads in the post for the FP/broadhead internal to the shaft, or are they forward of the shaft like on the HD arrows?

dkime

WKR
Does the sleeve still thread onto the post?

Are the threads in the post for the FP/broadhead internal to the shaft, or are they forward of the shaft like on the HD arrows?

Collars still thread onto the insert system but now they are Installed from the rear, the collar aligns via the threads as well as a machine taper on the insert and still the shaft diameter on the rear. We attempted to eliminate runout by adding a third locating feature.

The insert portion has the threads on the inside of the shaft, similar to a HIT style system. I will attempt to take some pics tomorrow.

Lots of little changes like these were applied to the HD centric system in an effort to provide a better install for customers. After years of business we still would have customers that would attempt to only rely on the threading together of the components for install and not use epoxy to hold the collars on the shaft. By installing the collars from the back we’re attempting to make this as fool proof as possible. Install will be as simple as glueing on a one piece system now.

If that’s still too complicated for some we are offering install services on the website as well.

OP
J

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Collars still thread onto the insert system but now they are Installed from the rear, the collar aligns via the threads as well as a machine taper on the insert and still the shaft diameter on the rear. We attempted to eliminate runout by adding a third locating feature.

The insert portion has the threads on the inside of the shaft, similar to a HIT style system. I will attempt to take some pics tomorrow.

Lots of little changes like these were applied to the HD centric system in an effort to provide a better install for customers. After years of business we still would have customers that would attempt to only rely on the threading together of the components for install and not use epoxy to hold the collars on the shaft. By installing the collars from the back we’re attempting to make this as fool proof as possible. Install will be as simple as glueing on a one piece system now.

If that’s still too complicated for some we are offering install services on the website as well.

Are the new HD components available on the website now ? I would like to try these out on a dozen HDs that I haven't assembled yet

dkime

WKR
Are the new HD components available on the website now ? I would like to try these out on a dozen HDs that I haven't assembled yet

Yes, I just haven’t received the product images to show the changes. HDs have been shipping with them for a little over a month now.