6.5-06 Ackley Dies

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any 6.5-06 ackley improved dies? Have a 6.5-06 that I want to re-chamber to ackley improved version, but want to find the dies first. Also any good recommendations for a gunsmith to re-chamber my Remington 700?

I built a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved a few years ago, I absolutely love it. By far my favorite rifle.

I got a set of dies for very affordable from a company that my gunsmith recommended, but it was not a typical name brand die company. I can't remember the company name off the top of my head, but I will look when I get home and get you their name and info.

I would rate their quality as average. Probably on par with standard RCBS dies, not as nice as Redding dies. My only complaint with them is my seating stem bottoms out, luckily it bottoms out @ 10 thou off the lans which is where my rifle likes it, but it doesn't give me much room to play with seating depth if I ever wanted to. But overall I think I picked them up for somewhere around $100, and they have served me well. I have been able to get very accurate hand loads with them, but I may one day invest in a nicer set of custom dies.

I recommend these if you want a good affordable set of dies that will get you going without setting you back several hundred bucks. If you like higher end dies then you'd be better off just biting the bullet from the start and ordering a set of custom dies from Redding or RCBS.

I'll get you the info on the name when I get home. Down the road if you have any questions about loads or anything let me know. I did pretty extensive load testing with mine and could probably get you in the right ball park.

Also depending on where you are located I would recommend Ray Montgomery to do the gunsmithing. He did mine and did a fantastic job, he is very meticulous, and knows more about the ackleys than anyone I've ever talked to. He is getting older now and doesn't take on as much work but I can PM you his information if you're close to Colorado.

Take Care,

Cody

Just remembered the name. Company is 4D Die Company. wwwCH4D.com
The 2 dies set for the 6.5-06 ackley 40 deg. shoulder runs $105 and change.

If you're gonna have the chamber redone ask the gunsmith if he'd do the dies too

Is this your first Ackley ? If so, there are caveats that must be followed to "rechamber" a standard chamber to AI

OP
270wsmnutt

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input on the dies. I lucked out and found a new set of RCBS 6.5-06 Ackley Imp (40 degree) for $58 shipped. So I don't think I can beat that. I have had several ackleys over the years, first time for this caliber. Have to say my favorites so far have been the 280 and the 257 roberts AI versions. On a 6.5 kick now (6 different calibers and counting), so thinking this will soon become a favorite as well.

I use a 280 AI Redding type S neck die. Also have a set of Redding 6.5-06 AI dies, but have no problems neck sizing with the 280 die with .292 bushing.

Scoggin12

FNG
I use a 280 AI Redding type S neck die. Also have a set of Redding 6.5-06 AI dies, but have no problems neck sizing with the 280 die with .292 bushing.

I know this is an older thread but am curious how this is done. I saw this and bought the redding bushing die but am curious if you are full length sizing with that die? I tried ch4d and they won’t have any till June of 2022 and I can’t find them anywhere else.

pbroski

FNG

I know this is an older thread but am curious how this is done. I saw this and bought the redding bushing die but am curious if you are full length sizing with that die? I tried ch4d and they won’t have any till June of 2022 and I can’t find them anywhere else.
I have a Redding type S FL .280 AI die and use it for 6.5-06 AI. Obviously the expander ball cannot be used because it's for .280, but with the right bushing, and no expander, it works great for 6.5-06 AI. You could buy a separate 6.5 expander, if you wanted to use it that way though.

Scoggin12

FNG
I have a Redding type S FL .280 AI die and use it for 6.5-06 AI. Obviously the expander ball cannot be used because it's for .280, but with the right bushing, and no expander, it works great for 6.5-06 AI. You could buy a separate 6.5 expander, if you wanted to use it that way though.
Are you able to bump the shoulders back on the cases?