6.5-284 Help with ammo that doesnt work

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Fierce Carbon Edge 6.5-284. It came with 100 rounds of what was listed as 142gr Ablr ammo. Supposed to be factory Nosler but it came in blue plastic cases of 50 each. Took it to the range and shot 5 rounds. The rifle shot just fine. Bolt was extremely hard to close and very hard to open. Even if I just cycled the ammo thru without firing, the bolt was difficult to close and open. I cycled all 45 rounds left in the box thru and they were all like this. I thought here I go, I have read about things like this with Fierce rifles. Got mad assuming I would need to send it in, put it in the closet and ignored it for the last year.

Realized I had to do something and just in case bought some boxes of Nosler Trophy grade 129gr Ablr off this site. They all cycled just fine. I went back and tested the other box of 50 and they all cycled fine. Dummy me for not doing it the first time. The first box still doesn't work. OK, it is not the rifle.

How do I inspect the ammo? What do I look for. The rounds appear identical. Put a caliper on them, the 142gr bad loads are slightly shorter than the good 129gr. I think the original 100 rounds are actually 129gr as well. The loaded ammo that came with the rifle actually weighs less than the factory 129gr rounds. It would mean a lot less powder to make up for the 13gr of extra bullet weight and they do look identical.

I am very curious what is going on. What can I check? What could be wrong? Since I do not reload, I assume I could find someone to pull the bullets, resize the brass and reload.

Sharpie the entire round including bullet to the ogive and chamber… or smoke it over a candle and chamber. That will inform you of the problem and where to go

Also, I assume you checked the headstamp… Maybe Fierce gave you a box of something other than 6.5x284 Norma

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Was the bolt harder to open after firing than just cycling the rounds that were hard to open and close on? If so, that could mean that they are generating too much pressure. That would lean me towards the bullet being seated to shallow/long. It might be in the lands.