6.5-284 Norma chamber options

wildcat33

WKR
Planning to order a tikka prefit from Preferred barrel. Lightweight hunting gun, not Fclass or benchrest. They offer two reamers; 6.5-284 Norma SAAMI spec and 6.5-284 Norma Match. PBB provided the following comment: "typically, match reamers will have a tighter neck and some tweaks to the throat. They are also designed not to require neck turning"

Im staring at the charts and struggling to understand what this should tell me about which reamer to choose based on my brass (petersen, 284win necked down) and dies (redding norma match, non-bushing style). I would like to be able to work with 143 eldx and berger 156 EOL in a fuss free setup.

Any norma shooters out there that can school me on how to set this up correctly?

Attachments

• 6.5-284 NORMA MATCH.pdf
    405.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 6.5-284-Norma-SAAMI.pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
Go with the SAAMI .188 and if you were going to shoot the 156 exclusively I’d say to add some freebore to load a little long if your mag allows. I know nothing about Tikka actions but I’m having a 6.5-284 built right now and through many discussions with others and my smith this is the info I received.

That SAAMI print shows .300"ish freebore? A smith should provide at least freebore length and neck diameter specs on reamers and not just some lazy generic answer on what a "match" chamber is.

Agree with above that .188 should be pretty versatile. Could go a little longer if you wanted. I'd want a bigger neck as you might end up with thick necks on necked down peterson brass. Do you know how thick the necks are after necked down?

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
That SAAMI print shows .300"ish freebore? A smith should provide at least freebore length and neck diameter specs on reamers and not just some lazy generic answer on what a "match" chamber is.

Agree with above that .188 should be pretty versatile. Could go a little longer if you wanted. I'd want a bigger neck as you might end up with thick necks on necked down peterson brass. Do you know how thick the necks are after necked down?

Got some dies coming later in the week, so Ill resize, measure and do some comparison to the prints.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Im staring at the charts and struggling to understand what this should tell me about which reamer to choose based on my brass (petersen, 284win necked down) and dies (redding norma match, non-bushing style). I would like to be able to work with 143 eldx, 140 vld and (maybe) berger 156 EOL in a fuss free setup.
Just my $.02, go with SAAMI versatility. Never know what other bullet or ammo you may want to hunt with down the road. Just curious, are you starting with new 284win brass, or do you have lots of 1x fired already on hand to use in lieu of buying 6.5-284 brass? (edit: asking for my self education if there are advantages or precision gains by doing this. Thanks. )

Last edited:
OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Just my $.02, go with SAAMI versatility. Never know what other bullet or ammo you may want to hunt with down the road. Just curious, are you starting with new 284win brass, or do you have lots of 1x fired already on hand to use in lieu of buying 6.5-284 brass?
Thanks. I’m starting with new 284 win brass that I have laying around. I need to check those necks after resizing and see what I have.

Flyjunky

WKR
What’s the reasoning there?
Better quality, lasts longer, more consistent from case to case, and handles pressure better.

I’ve seen it said by a few people that they won’t consider a cartridge if they can’t use either Lapua or ADG brass.

What’s the reasoning there?

You'll likely have pretty thick necks once necking down, may end up wanting to neck turn which is a headache.

Generalization between peterson and lapua - Lapua tends to have a little more capacity and not as thick of brass. Can't say if that is true in this particular case as I've never dealt with 284.

Gila

WKR
You'll likely have pretty thick necks once necking down, may end up wanting to neck turn which is a headache.

Generalization between peterson and lapua - Lapua tends to have a little more capacity and not as thick of brass. Can't say if that is true in this particular case as I've never dealt with 284.
Rather ironic that people were resizing Lapua 6.5x 284 brass up for the 284 win. Then Lapua finally came out with 284 win brass. Resizing a neck will require a neck turn. From what I have seen the match folks generally have their own reamers with a neck size for the brass they are using and a free bore for the bullet they fire. I don’t know about the 6.5 but some barrel makers will offer to chamber with a GAP reamer, which has a longer freebore for shooting the heavies and a loose neck size that doesn’t require a neck turn. But 300+ for a free bore on a 6.5 seems excessive to me.