6.5 Creedmoor varmint bullet

KSTiger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to save funds buy not buying another rifle (say 22-250) and use my 6.5 creedmoor for varmint hunting. Does anybody have experience with some varmint loads in their 6.5? I'm curious about 95 gr. vmax or something similar. Are they going to shoot well in something that is throated for longer 140 grain bullets?

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I've shot a few with 140 gr ELD Match and they have worked great. Have been very fur friendly and everything has dropped in its tracks

freddyG

WKR
The now discontinued 85 grain sierras were the ticket. Speer has a 90 grain tnt that is similar, but I haven’t tried them yet.

Zappaman

WKR
I'm using the old Amax 100g bullet (and the 123g Amax too). I have a 260ai for the heavies but HAD to get a Creed ;) I replaced a 243 with the new CM as a coyote gun. I do have the speer 90g TNTs but haven't used them yet. Any will do the job and the lighter loads will shoot a bit flatter to boot. If hide hunting, I'd probably download the TNTs.

S-3 ranch

WKR
IMO you should stick with a longer high ballistic bullet , it’s a coyote
243 -6.5 mm need a 100+ grain projection for stability
and the 6.5 has some awesome target loads that will wack @ mid to long range in 120- 140

talked with our government trappers on the ranch the replies about 6.5cm
“”I would use the hornady 123 eldm. I used the 140 eldm for coyotes out of my 6.5, and I use the 75 eldm out of my 223 and 22 Grendel. Put it where your suppose to and they are drt, about a quarter size hole in and out.””

”I'm going to recommend the 123 eld-m. That will open up a dog quite nicely. The 140 eld-m does too.”

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
Anything works if you don't care about fir ;)

My 8 twist Creed will run any CM varmint bullet stable out to coyote range- just need to decide hide or no hide then choose a varmint bullet if you want the skin. I've downloaded other calibers for that purpose (55g Blitz Kings in 243 loads- one small hole in, no hole out). Run them too fast then the off-side hole is baseball size.

Rowdy99

FNG
Has anyone shot coyotes with the 140 gr Hornady Blacks? Im stepping into some bigger country and have a feeling I will need to reach out and poke a few. Im not super worried about saving fur.

Anyone have any experience with it?