Help me choose fast twist Tikka 22 center-fire

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stainless Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want a 22 center-fire to match it (same trigger and stock-I'll probably have heavy and lightweight stocks and trade them back and forth) so I'm not interested in other actions. The purposes of this gun in order of priority are
1) lower recoil training than my 6.5 but similar ability to ring steel at 1000 yards
2) killing deer sized game to 600 yards
3) back up gun
4) maybe my nephew will shoot it. He's 4yo right now.

I’m thinking the bullet will be something between the 75eld and 88eld. I'm leaning towards 88-90 grain bullets for shooting at distance, but I'm open to suggestions on the right bullet and muzzle velocity for my goals as my only experience is with 6.5mm 143 and 147 ELD.

I'm happy with an unsuppressed 22-24” barrel to get the most out of the powder. From others’ threads it sounds like full length .223 Tikkas will sling 75/77gr bullets 2800-2900fps using ~25grains of powder.

The other factory option is a 1:8 .22-250, which will send 88 grain bullets downrange at 3000-3200fps pushed by ~36grains which is closer to my 6.5mm loaded with 42.9gr than it is to .223 so I might not see the recoil reduction I want?

The bottom line: is anyone hunting the .223 at 600yds and practicing at a 1000 and wishing they had more gun?

As a final note, I'm not in a rush and I'm trying to avoid the hassle and expense of rechambering or rebarreling so I'm focused on the factory Tikka offerings, but I am watching the classifieds for Tikka 22 center-fires like ARC, Valkyrie, Nosler . . . As long as I can source enough brass I'm interested.

Rokslide is a great community. Thanks for reading!

I’ve got a tikka in 223 1:8 that is my training rifle..but it’s going to be trans sonic and tough to shoot at 1000. Unlikely to have enough juice to effectively hunt at 600..that would be really pushing the limits on impact velcoity

I also have a 22-250 1:8 that I had rechambered to 22 creedmoor. With 88s it’s an excellent 600 yard deer gun and 1000 yard steel banging machine. Probably easier to rechamber to 22creedmoor than to find good 22-250 brass. You can burn out a hot rod 22 cal fairly quickly for what it’s worth. The recoil is much less than 6.5 creedmoor, night and day IMO. Totally worth it but not necessarily a daily driver type of build.

Would be cool to build a tikka 22 arc, that might fit the bill nicely, but would need bolt face work etc.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
😂I might be answering my own question here, but anyway . . .

I used the Hornady app to compare trajectories. This is not precise but rough comparison of dialing at 1000 yards in 10mph crosswind:

75gr mv2820 30moa up, 7.8moa left
88gr mv3050 22.4moa up, 5.6moa left
147gr mv2820 23.25moa up, 4.3moa left

Clearly the 88 grain bullet is similar to the 147 which I currently shoot

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Willfrye, I may be looking for a 22arc. I do want a 'daily driver' that I will shoot a lot.

Can anyone locate 22-250 brass?

Thanks Willfrye, I may be looking for a 22arc. I do want a 'daily driver' that I will shoot a lot.

The 88s are a monster bullet! Hard to find lapua 22-250 brass I dont think they’re currently making it. 22 arc will require a custom bolt face and I wouldn’t hold your breath finding one.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I checked midway and brownell's. All .22-250 brass is 'not available, no backorder.' anywhere else I should look?

They did have 22 Nosler in stock but I don't know if that is an option in Tikkas

Edit: midway also had 22creed, arc, Valkyrie, swift . . . but not 22-250🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR

If you really want a daily driver that you are going to throw 2-5k rounds through a year, you may be better off having a 223 and buying a separate 22 CM for longer distances. The 223 ammo costs are a definite benefit. A 223 Tikka is also really the most fun centerfire for kids.

Juan_ID

WKR
Opening up a 223 bolt to the arc is no big deal at all using the right smith. Cost $100-150 but still have to have it rechambered or do a barrel swap which you said you prefer to not do.
Very unlikely to find one already done for sale, I had one done but found myself wanting to get back to a standard bolt face so now waiting on a 22GT prefit to play with.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Natchez has lapua brass in stock it says

Edit- Never mind. They don’t.

I guess I am the outlier here but I shoot all kinds of brass without much issue. Hornady brass seems to be the worst but I’ll still load it and bang away. Winchester has been pretty decent, along with Remington. I obviously prefer lapua, Peterson, and Norma but their availability wouldn’t deter me from a fast ‘250. Really like my tikka 22-250

199p

FNG
I run a 20" .223 carbonlite and it shoots factory 77grn match kings amazing at 2800fps.
Its very accurate and precise out to 800y after that its quite inconstant

I have shot some fellow deer and goats out to 400y and its worked great.

I am going to rebarrel my 6.5cm to 22cm and run the 88's just to get more punch,
I have a heavy 22x47lap that shoots the 88's great. Have only shot small game but the furthest hare was just over 900y.

would be looking at more punch, but new zealand is also very windy and more speed and higher bc will help with that bunch.

I'm in the suppressor crowd and cant see that changing anytime soon.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Opening up a 223 bolt to the arc is no big deal at all using the right smith. Cost $100-150 but still have to have it rechambered or do a barrel swap which you said you prefer to not do.
Very unlikely to find one already done for sale, I had one done but found myself wanting to get back to a standard bolt face so now waiting on a 22GT prefit to play with.
Why do you prefer the standard bolt face?

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider

I guess I am the outlier here but I shoot all kinds of brass without much issue. Hornady brass seems to be the worst but I’ll still load it and bang away. Winchester has been pretty decent, along with Remington. I obviously prefer lapua, Peterson, and Norma but their availability wouldn’t deter me from a fast ‘250. Really like my tikka 22-250
I guess I could buy factory ammo, use it for practice or coyote hunting and reload it with heavy bullets

what bullets do you load and what do you hunt? What ranges?

Last edited:
OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I have a heavy 22x47lap that shoots the 88's great. Have only shot small game but the furthest hare was just over 900y.
Nice! I'm curious, how much powder and what muzzle velocity in your 22x47?

Juan_ID

WKR
Why do you prefer the standard bolt face?
Just ease of swapping between calibers which I haven’t done much of but may plan to. If the GT doesn’t pan out I can swap barrels to 22 creed or any other cal that uses the standard face.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I could buy factory ammo, use it for practice or coyote hunting and reload it with heavy bullets

what bullets do you load and what do you hunt? What ranges?
I’m heavily loaded up on 75 eldm and 77smk. Have shot a few boxes of 55 grain vmax factory as well. It all shoots well enough.

I shoot steel, paper, took it blacktail hunting this last year, and it’s my primary truck gun so it gets used a fair amount.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's really helpful. I'm going to look into reloading factory .22-250 ammo. My only experience so far is loading new Lapua brass, so I have some learning to do.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
.223 with 75 eldm at 2900 does real well at 600 on steel. Haven't had it out further. Tikka requires an aftermarket mag to shoot them.