6.5 for elk

TexasTBag

FNG
I haven't personally shot Elk with one but my newest "Elk" rifle is a Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor. There are several threads on this forum that discuss the Creedmoor or sub-magnum rounds on elk and it really helped me make my choice on what to buy.

I know for sure I will shoot and practice with my new Creedmoor more than my 300WSM which I had previously used for elk.

Ebby

WKR
Again, not me personally having shot an elk with one, but I do have some experience with the 6.5 Creed. We used it exclusively in Africa this year with the factory hornady load with the 143gr ELDX. I shot a 2000 lb eland at 411 yards and crushed him. My son killed a 700lb Kudu at 327 yards and I killed a Nyala at 310 yards with it. None of them went anywhere. We also shot a bunch of smaller stuff like Blesbuck and Impala and springbok. Crushed them all at close range and medium range. I was very impressed. We were using the outfitters gun since the gun laws have gotten so bad in SA but I have a Creed and have vowed to use it more. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk myself.

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Suggest you acquaint yourself w the Search feature here, since there have been 10+ threads about this in the last 2 months. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/search/457778/?q=6.5+elk&o=relevance

Good luck this fall, from the redundancy department of redundancy.
Does it really matter? I guess while you're at it you can chalk your response up with the rest of the "useless response I wasted my time on to get a point across that no one cares about". Maybe he wanted his own thread, maybe he wanted his own discussion on the subject. If you don't want to participate...then don't. You should acquaint yourself with the back button and when to use it.

To the OP, the 6.5 is a pretty good round. Though I haven't used it personally on elk, I know some who have with good results within around 200 yards. When I decide to do a rifle elk hunt I'll use my 6.5.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Does it really matter? I guess while you're at it you can chalk your response up with the rest of the "useless response I wasted my time on to get a point across that no one cares about". Maybe he wanted his own thread, maybe he wanted his own discussion on the subject. If you don't want to participate...then don't. You should acquaint yourself with the back button and when to use it.

To the OP, the 6.5 is a pretty good round. Though I haven't used it personally on elk, I know some who have with good results within around 200 yards. When I decide to do a rifle elk hunt I'll use my 6.5.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

He actually provided a clickable link to a search full of 6.5 threads, so that post did add value to this thread. It's also possible OP was just made aware of a wealth of more info and didn't know about the search function.

As for the topic, just picked up a 6.5c for my adult sons to use for deer so following all these threads to watch performance.

Suggest you acquaint yourself w the Search feature here, since there have been 10+ threads about this in the last 2 months. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/search/457778/?q=6.5+elk&o=relevance

Good luck this fall, from the redundancy department of redundancy.

Agree 100%. Keeps the clutter to tolerable minimum and keeps the search function useful for finding exact threads as you have shown. Same topics beaten to death clutter a forum and most likely the question asked has been answered to extent in another thread.
Sit back, search and learn then ask questions on a already started thread about the same subject. Simple really.

Rule of thumb is 1600 ft/lbs of force to take down an elk. A quick ballistics calculator shows most 6.5 creedmor rounds keep above 1600 ft/lb up to 375-400 yards. So if you’re like me, and won’t shoot over 400 yards at an elk it should be a wonderful round. And they’re a dream to shoot so most people shoot them better than big rounds.

Guys always tell me “you want a 300 ultra mag for elk”. But I’m not shooting 800 yards at an elk, wind changes so many times, huge risk of spoiled meat, huge risk of gut shot...maybe a better shooter could make a longer shot but I just choose not to shoot more than 400 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a big cow last year with my wife's 6.5 at 325 yards, right in the boiler room. She never took another step. But she did stand there for about 30 seconds before finally tipping over. She was dead on her feet, but they tend to react different when it's 20 below zero, so no real concern. A 6.5 is adequate for an elk as long as the bullet and shooter are up to the task. Personally, I will be finding a better bullet to use in the future. I had been testing out the 143gr ELDX with some hand loads and found them to be impressively accurate, but not what I am looking for performance wise on big game. They tend to cause a lot trauma, which leads to quick kills, but the bullets dont hold together as well as I would like. For instance, I recovered the bullet from the cow on the offside hide, it hit one rib going in and split between the ribs on the opposite side. The core separated from the jacket entirely. Overall weight retention wasn't bad, at 98.5gr of 143gr, but alas when pieces come apart the energy is reduced significantly. Next up will likely be 140gr Nosler Accubonds, if they shoot half as well as the ELDX I will be more than pleased. With all that being said, there are lots of guys that have killed elk with and have no complaints about those Hornady bullets.

Perhaps this will help you decide. 127gr. LRX from my wife's moose this year. ~200 yards shot found under hide on offside. MV is 2,890 from a 22" barrel.

Honestly, when I saw the title of this thread I expected a lot of guys saying "no way, a 6.5 creedmor is not enough for elk". I love this group because people who actually know what they're talking about make real comments based on real life.

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, when I saw the title of this thread I expected a lot of guys saying "no way, a 6.5 creedmor is not enough for elk". I love this group because people who actually know what they're talking about make real comments based on real life.
That was my exact thought too. Don't let the mouth breathers on the Facebook pages know about this. 😎

Yeah I was expecting what I've seen elsewhere. Guys say a 7mm RM, or 300 WM is minimum needed to kill an elk. The truth is, I'll bet a 30-06 and .308 have taken more elk than all of the huge magnum loads combined...nothing wrong with some fire power, but also nothing wrong with a nice easy gun to shot. Placement with enough power to take down the elk is the most important thing.

Wrench

WKR
I've killed several elk with impact velocities down to 1900fps with 140 class bullets. Different headstamp, same bullet. I'm not going to say how far....you can do the math. They tend to catch the bullet, look around, get the head spins and tip over dead....often without taking a step.

hipshotgunslinger

Lil-Rokslider
The only question I have about it is whether to use the 127 gr LRX or that 143 gr ELDX
Funny, I have those same 2 bullets loaded up. Gonna stick with the Barnes for elk, I use Barnes 95% of the time for the last 12-13 years and I haven't lost a critter yet when hit with a Barnes. If they do run, the bullets penetrate so far, they almost always give an exit wound.

Shoot an elk with the Hornady, not a problem it's a great bullet too. But you're going to contaminate some of your meat with lead. You'll end up with a 100-110gr Hornady projectile where the Barnes will still be 124-125gr afterwards.

Trust me when I tell you this. I have recovered several bullets including one that went through my speaker, door, fender, 10-ply Nitto tire, fuel wheel then richocheted off the control arm. Was 130gr, now 128gr.... (270).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed several elk with impact velocities down to 1900fps with 140 class bullets. Different headstamp, same bullet. I'm not going to say how far....you can do the math. They tend to catch the bullet, look around, get the head spins and tip over dead....often without taking a step.

That's because people put too much weight on "energy" and don't realize that a bullet can still do its job effectively down to a certain velocity. Thank you for your feedback, as many don't provide details as you have.

Wrench

WKR
That's because people put too much weight on "energy" and don't realize that a bullet can still do its job effectively down to a certain velocity. Thank you for your feedback, as many don't provide details as you have.
Agreed. It would not be my choice as a bumping elk gun, but for a sniping gun....it's dynamite.