6.5 Grendel Update....

As on a previous post, I stated I built a 6.5 Grendel to hunt some hog with. I tested the gun out today utilizing 123 Grain H-SST on a doe that weighed 122 lbs. (SC Doe) I wanted to see how it performed on smaller animals before I started using it on larger game primarily large hog. I will try to upload the pics later but the results were impressive with a POA/POI on the high shoulder. The bullet had a complete pass thru crushing both scapulas and exiting. I was surprised to see this but satisfied.

Has anyone used this round ( H-123 SST) on larger game with inconsistent results? Please do not respond with opinions or if you had bad shots and blamed it on the bullet.

DoctorJJ

FNG
I’ve killed a lot of hogs with that bullet. It works great. I’ve found most of the complaints about bullets not performing on hogs is due to people shooting them too far back.

Most complaints of the SST that I’ve heard have been at too fast of an impact. At Grendel speeds hammer away. My Grendel likes the eldms a little bit more but still shoots the SST well so I use both.

OP
minisaw249
I’ve killed a lot of hogs with that bullet. It works great. I’ve found most of the complaints about bullets not performing on hogs is due to people shooting them too far back.
D, I have shot many of hogs. I always hunt them with 168/175 SMK or 168 AMAX. I primarily shoot when they are static and always aim for vertebrae above the scapula and the occasional head shot. I never have an exit wound with this combo, BUT it devastating to the nervous system. I do not like to shoot a running hog because I believe in an instant death for all animals. With that being said, have you ever had any exit wounds hitting bone with this bullet? I will test this in the field, but would like to know others results.

DoctorJJ

FNG
Honestly, I never even check. They are just a total nuisance here. I shoot them and let them lay and move on. Usually at night with night vision. I rarely get out of the cart.