6.5 PRC 142 ABLR Elk Field Report

Laramie

WKR
Have seen a lot of questions over the last few months from guys looking for what bullet to shoot out of their 6.5 PRC for elk. We did quite a bit of testing before deciding to use the 142 ABLR for my son's elk hunt. My son's shot was 315 yards on his bull. At the shot, the bull stumbled and turned offering his other side. My son shot again and the bull went down. Total distance travelled was maybe 15 yards. The first shot entered behind his right shoulder and went through the opposite shoulder blade and was found in an outer layer of shoulder meat. The other shot entered behind the left should while the bull was slightly quartering towards. We found that bullet under the hide in front of the opposite hind quarter after travelling through about 24" of elk. Both wound channels were great and either would have been lethal. Both bullets weighed between 105 and 110 grains. As a former guide and long time elk hunter, I would feel very comfortable using this bullet in the future on an elk.
1696973913072.png

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Browning xbolt pro in this caliber. This is the bullet I am going to try out first. Seems like it held up well. Are you reloading or using factory?

BAKPAKR

WKR
That looks a lot better than a 147 gr ELD-M did at a little over 500 yards! The elk dropped right there so I guess I can’t really complain. I do like seeing a bullet hold together a little better like the one from your son’s elk.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Nice report. Son and myself have been shooting pigs earlier this summer with 165 ablr out of 6.8 Western and getting excellent performance. Not recovered any but busted through both shoulders of a couple decent sized boars so my impression is they hold up pretty well

Lou

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
I just ordered a Browning xbolt pro in this caliber. This is the bullet I am going to try out first. Seems like it held up well. Are you reloading or using factory?
Nosler factory loads. Their listed velocity is slower than the Hornady 143 listed but on paper out to 500 they hit within 2 inches of each other. Haven't put either through a chronograph yet. My son's rifle is fairly new as well so still breaking in the barrel. Maybe 100 shots through it to this point.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler factory loads. Their listed velocity is slower than the Hornady 143 listed but on paper out to 500 they hit within 2 inches of each other. Haven't put either through a chronograph yet. My son's rifle is fairly new as well so still breaking in the barrel. Maybe 100 shots through it to this point.
What's the COAL or CBOT measurements from factory rounds?

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Haven't measured it. I have zero intention of reloading for this rifle in the near future. I will shoot it through a chronograph after another 50-100 rounds so I have accurate dialing info. Will be glad to share that later this month.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't measured it. I have zero intention of reloading for this rifle in the near future. I will shoot it through a chronograph after another 50-100 rounds so I have accurate dialing info. Will be glad to share that later this month.
Looking for an update? I started my LD and I found a couple to start to work with possibly. I am using Retumbo powder. I might switch to H1000 if I don't see anything in the next couple of seating tests.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Looking for an update? I started my LD and I found a couple to start to work with possibly. I am using Retumbo powder. I might switch to H1000 if I don't see anything in the next couple of seating tests.
My whole family took turns being sick over the last month so we didn't get out to shoot much. My son did add a nice whitetail to the list last weekend. 80 yard shot through the rib cage with a nice exit would so nothing to change any previous opinions. We are getting back out shooting this weekend in prep for the Nebraska deer season.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I gotcha. Glad everyone is feeling better now. I don't see that factory ammo anywhere locally. Those measurements could help a lot if you are able to and would like to. Appreciate it.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Have seen a lot of questions over the last few months from guys looking for what bullet to shoot out of their 6.5 PRC for elk. We did quite a bit of testing before deciding to use the 142 ABLR for my son's elk hunt. My son's shot was 315 yards on his bull. At the shot, the bull stumbled and turned offering his other side. My son shot again and the bull went down. Total distance travelled was maybe 15 yards. The first shot entered behind his right shoulder and went through the opposite shoulder blade and was found in an outer layer of shoulder meat. The other shot entered behind the left should while the bull was slightly quartering towards. We found that bullet under the hide in front of the opposite hind quarter after travelling through about 24" of elk. Both wound channels were great and either would have been lethal. Both bullets weighed between 105 and 110 grains. As a former guide and long time elk hunter, I would feel very comfortable using this bullet in the future on an elk.
View attachment 612359
Good to know, thanks

lintond

WKR
That looks a lot better than a 147 gr ELD-M did at a little over 500 yards! The elk dropped right there so I guess I can’t really complain. I do like seeing a bullet hold together a little better like the one from your son’s elk.

Match bullets are not going to hold together. If that’s what you want then there are other options. The ELDM fragments and kills effectively but can make a little more mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still doing LD. I found a couple nodes and next range session will be seating. I seen nosler suggested. 050-.070" from lands as a recommended seating depth. Some people have even pushed deeper to get better results. At least that informations helps me some. Hopefully I find something next couple range sessions. I have a hunting trip and leave the 12th.

Congrats on the success, but an N of 1 isn’t predictive.

I know a guy who swore off standard Accubonds after a bull he shot didn’t drop on the spot.

P

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Congrats on the success, but an N of 1 isn’t predictive.

I know a guy who swore off standard Accubonds after a bull he shot didn’t drop on the spot.

P
Up to 7 animals now with great performance and it was 2 prefect performing on the bull.

Would you rather someone not share solid field performances until they have 5 or 10 years of stats? Seriously man

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve noticed this as well from shooting them both. I believe the nosler loaded 142’s were 2.945
Thanks! .010 deeper than reloading book so that should relatively be in the general area then. Might help me save some components.

ElPollo

WKR
View attachment 612359
What would you estimate the diameter of the wound channel at?

Up to 7 animals now with great performance and it was 2 prefect performing on the bull.

Would you rather someone not share solid field performances until they have 5 or 10 years of stats? Seriously man

You made no mention of previous experiences with that bullet.

Sharing field performance is great.

Don’t need 5 years of stats.

Again, congrats on filling the tag.

P

Weldor

WKR
The 6.5 PRC for Elk works for me, I just used a 140 gr. Speer softpoint on a large cow at 390 yds. went nowhere. Double lunged, she stood for couple seconds, then down. Handloaded with IMR 4831 not a super fast load.2760 out of a 20" bbl.