6.5 PRC ammo

Djaworow

FNG
looking for best long range factory round for 6.5 prc...im between the 143 eld-x and berger 156, would like to use it for whitetail to possibly elk...?

You may also consider the Hornady 147-grain ELD Match ammo. Last season, my 6.5 PRC/147 ELD combo was used on a bull elk (480 or so), two aoudad rams (315 and 406) and a whitetail at 320. The elk went 10 feet maybe. All the others dropped on the spot. I don't shoot really far, but if I did, I'd have no issues with using the 147 Match ammo.

H80Hunter

WKR
I bought mine and wanted to shoot the 156 Bergers but for the same reason as above, I found 147 ELDM locally for about half the cost as the Berger ammo online and the gun shoots it great so I just use the 147 ELDMs.

B23

WKR
I have a off the shelf factory CA Ridgeline purchased from Cabela's a couple years ago kind of on a whim. Bought some Hornady 147 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X ammo for it and it shoots both well but it shoots the 147 ELD-M stuff, extremely, well and even shoots the 147 just a tad bit faster. I'm in the process of rebarreling a Howa that I have to 6.5 PRC and I think the reamer the smith is going to use, maybe, has just a tiny bit less freebore so it'll be interesting to see how it shoots the factory Hornady 143/147gr ammo.

The Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo seems to always shoot very well in off the shelf production rifles so I mostly only hear about how that stuff shoots. Have many of you shoot the Berger 156 ammo in those same factory made rifles and if so how does that stuff shoot in comparison??

tak

WKR
You may also consider the Hornady 147-grain ELD Match ammo. Last season, my 6.5 PRC/147 ELD combo was used on a bull elk (480 or so), two aoudad rams (315 and 406) and a whitetail at 320. The elk went 10 feet maybe. All the others dropped on the spot. I don't shoot really far, but if I did, I'd have no issues with using the 147 Match ammo.

Funny, I was just thinking about this combo and aoudad. Have any more details on the aoudad? Shot placement, wound channel, exits? Etc. Aoudad are tough animals for sure, right up there with elk IMO

I've had great success with the Precision Hunter ammo. Shot several deer and antelope. Does well out to a thousand and a little past on the range too.
Asked the wife for a set of dies for Christmas so hopefully I can start hand loading for it.
I've heard the ELDM works too but I'm already heavily invested into the black box.
Not sure what I'll do when I start hand loading. I have a box of 140 VLDs to play with.
But I know what I'm getting with the ELDX. They cause a ton of trauma on deer and shoot good.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
my browning xbolt 6.5prc shoots the factory 147 ELDM extremely well, around Eastern Oregon I can get them for $45.99 a box. I only have a sample size of one so far, 4pt mule deer 398 yards he did not take one step. cartridge size entrance and golf ball size exit shot in the crease of the shoulder. Highly recommend.

nmarchr

FNG
I have been shooting 156 factory berger loads from my PRC this season and the results have been great. I would recommend the bergers for hunting deer and elk size game for sure.

I shoot ELDX at the range and I elk hunt with Norma Bondstrike. They both shoot well and the bondstrike got the job done well in the field.

rrbailey

FNG
All broadside shots?

Lando

WKR
I just returned from a deer hunt and three deer were shot by my rifle with 147 grain ELDM, two by friends and one by me. All were bang flops, farthest shot was 607 yards.

Gettin’by

FNG
Classified Approved
Hornady Match 147 eldm’s have worked really well for me. The last three years I’ve killed 2 deer and 3 elk from 80 to 525 yards with that bullet. All heart/lung shots and died quickly.

Mine is a custom DIY build using the following parts:

Zermatt TL3 short action
TriggerTech trigger
Proof carbon prefit 24” barrel
MDT HNT26 chassis
Bushy 3-12X LRHS scope

It was easier to assemble than an AR

rrbailey

FNG
Mine is a custom DIY build using the following parts:

Zermatt TL3 short action
TriggerTech trigger
Proof carbon prefit 24” barrel
MDT HNT26 chassis
Bushy 3-12X LRHS scope

It was easier to assemble than an AR
Great info and sounds like a slick setup! Post a pic of the build if you have one handy! Muchos gracias senor.