6.5 PRC comes ALIVE with VV powder

Ive been loading the PRC for well over a year now and have been trying all the "best" powders suggested by every available online source i could find. None of these powders were getting even close to the velocities that they suggested............UNTIL..........N565. This powder has brought my PRC into a whole new world. Velocities have been consistently 200 fps faster than anything else I have tried and the groups are amazing!

Vicomb

FNG
I've been having the same issue on low velocities. I tried 7828ssc, LRT, and RL-26 with a 22" barrel and my highest velocity was 2808 fps.

What bullet and how many grains of powder are you using? What is your barrel length?

OP
K
With the 156s i was getting the exact same thing you are. 2800 fps. IMR4831, RL26 and a couple others. N565 pushed me right to 3000 fps. Im at a little over 59 grns. 59.7 i think is my highest so far but i would have to get home after work and check those numbers.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I've heard this from a few people now, planning to test some in mine soon. You using a standard LR or Magnum primer?

OP
K
Im pretty sure my load at 59.5 grns may be slightly compressed. not much though. I think you can go up to a little over 60 grns but im probably not going to push mine that hard.

OP
K
Yes sir. I dont think RL26 is but my understanding is that N565 is temperature stable. Someone may be able to correct me on this.

OP
K
This is off the VV website.

Designed to fill the gap between Vihtavuori N560 and N570 high energy rifle powders, the N565 was created specifically for the . 338 Lapua Magnum with 250 gr bullets. In addition to a precisely tailored burn rate, this powder is extremely temperature stable, giving uniform results across a wide range of environments.

sveltri

WKR
This is off the VV website.

Designed to fill the gap between Vihtavuori N560 and N570 high energy rifle powders, the N565 was created specifically for the . 338 Lapua Magnum with 250 gr bullets. In addition to a precisely tailored burn rate, this powder is extremely temperature stable, giving uniform results across a wide range of environments.
My experience with N565 has been just that, it has proven to be very stable.

sveltri

WKR
Are you stuffing in 58-60grs? Does SgS have it in stock?

It's interesting the Berger data states 5ish grains higher max than what is on VV's site.
I had a Savage 6.5 PRC that used Hornady brass, 153.5 LRHT and 58.1 N565. That load ran consistently at 2975 in that gun. It was and still is the most consistent load I've ever had. In my Seekins with Lapua brass I am getting pressure earlier than before, to be expected with the change in brass. I did work up a load to use this year with the 156 and it was very consistent as well, but my experience with it was far less than the previous. I am currently working on a new load with the 144 LRHT and, fortunately or not, I haven't had much for temperature variability to verify. I assume it will stay consistent. SgS, yes. I spoke with Bob Blaine at Berger yesterday and now have the revised 156 and 144 load data. It was originally ran through Quikload using Hornady H2O capacities, thus the major reason for the discrepancy. However, VV seems to be very conservative with their published data, at least from my experience. Revised load data attached.144 LRHT.png144 LHRT cont.png156 EOL.png156 EOL cont.png

OP
K
I will say that I get a few signs of pressure once i really start pushing the VV565 as where with IMR4831 I dont. But the IMR4831 NOR the RL26 will push velocities even close to the VV565 in my 6.5prc

OP
K
Well I actually did get pressure with the RL26 at a certain point. I just wasnt getting the speed. Once I switched to VV565 I didnt realy have to push it anymore. The speed was just THERE