6.5 PRC slow down...accuracy

Son wants to buy a 6.5 PRC in a Seekins rifle.

My question is this.....how accurate is this when you slow it down to 2750 fps with 140-150 gr. bullets. Is there an issue with reduced charge volumes/density relating to consistency.

I would like to see him get a 6.5 CM but he's set on the PRC. I am just wondering if he can load some milder loads for target shooting , extend barrel life and still have great accuracy. Then when hunting re-zero with hotter loads which seem to be the where the 6.5 prc shooters like to be... 🔥

Thanks in advance for your input.

Weldor

WKR
The recoil is not bad at all, how old is he? The factory norma 143 runs in the mid 2650's in my Fierce suppressed, 22 inch bbl. My handloads out of a 20" bbl. are running about 2800 for 140's. I don't think I would download. Just get some Norma golden target, their mild.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have always found crazy GOOD accuracy when shooting super mild loads like you're talking. For all cartridges.

I wouldn't be worried at all about doing that.

Marble

WKR
Instead of playing around with different loads, I prefer to shoot a few of my. 223 rifles. For me, the practice out to ~400 yards shooting squirls helps tremendously with getting your process dialed.

I obviously need to learn each rifle, but I have found that the habits you develop as you shoot and the decisions you make are more important across all of my shooting platforms, than the actual platform itself.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
I agree to going with the 6.5 Creedmoor thought instead of loading down a 6.5 PRC.

Anyway, it should fine to load the PRC down as long as you choose the right burn rate powder. Most tables show different powders that produce the faster performance and slower performance.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In my experience, an accurate gun is an accurate gun, regardless of velocity. You might find a speed it like a little more, but for what you’re talking, I don’t think it’s an issue. I wouldn’t go below the minimums and this is showing 2800fps. I think bullet weight plays more into recoil than velocity. If you’re willing to change bullets something in the 120 range would help with recoil.

Orrr…put a brake on it at the range and double up on ear plugs and muffs and hunt with a thread protector cap. Or suppress it.

Lots of options!

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 31

TaperPin

WKR
Son wants to buy a 6.5 PRC in a Seekins rifle.

My question is this.....how accurate is this when you slow it down to 2750 fps with 140-150 gr. bullets. Is there an issue with reduced charge volumes/density relating to consistency.

I would like to see him get a 6.5 CM but he's set on the PRC. I am just wondering if he can load some milder loads for target shooting , extend barrel life and still have great accuracy. Then when hunting re-zero with hotter loads which seem to be the where the 6.5 prc shooters like to be... 🔥

Thanks in advance for your input.
One year I discovered how nice reduced loads were - the 7 mag was down to 7mm BR speeds. Rather than practice with a 243 I decided to just shoot the 7 mag - maybe 500-600 rounds that summer. Boy was I surprised when the barrel was shot out after 1,000 rounds - about the same as if full power loads were used. Since then I’ve been told flame temperature and duration going through the throat, rather than pressure determins barrel wear. Oops, back to the 243 for practice in the off season.

With the high cost of a new barrel and reloading components, it can be easy to justify a second less expensive rifle in 223. Used 243 rifles are dirt cheap - I’d put 1,000 rounds through one, sell it for what it was purchased for, and buy another.

DW1996

FNG
I had good luck shooting 135 Bergers at 2900fps. SDs were a little higher than I liked with the case fill being so low.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
The guns now a days have better recoil reducing parts now. All the 6.5 PRC I have shot, recoil was really nothing, maybe can say is like a 243, but I really don't notice any recoil. My 12 year old nephew has the savage ultralight in 6.5 PRC. He shoots the 143 eldx in his. He can shoot his gun and my gun no problem at all. He has shot his gun up to 600 yards efficiently on steel targets. He has taken deer up to 325 yards. I don't know how old your son is, but there really no need to reduce loads unless you really want to. I would highly recommend the 6.5 PRC for your son and for really anyone. Very very versatile caliber. Barnes 127 LRX are very popular. 143 ELDX and 156 Bergers are also popular. There's no difference in recoil either. I've shot them all. Friends uses 127s. Nephew 143s. Brother 156s. I use 142ABLR. I don't know anything about Seekins. I have a Browning XBOLT PRO. The Nephew Ultralight is pretty nice though. My gun is around 2835fps, my nephews is around 2900 and brothers gun is 2770 with 156s. Don't worry about the velocity, some claims people get for their velocity are questionable at times, my opinion though. As far as accuracy, we all get .3"-.5" at 100 yards. Just really depends on how we shoot on a given day. At 200 yards I'm around .6"-.7" groups, but I'm relatively new at shooting 200 yards.

Last edited: